Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Key not detected???WTF

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011 | 03:05 AM
Evolving Member

Key not detected???WTF

I have a 2011 Evo X and its only a week or two old. Ive never had a problem but yesterday this situation happened twice, quite randomly. I drove the car and afterwards I shut it off and the car is beeping. I get out and notice a message on the display about the key not being detected and the doors wont lock. I get back in and start the motor and all is well again. Is this something that Im doing or should I visit the dealer? Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 29, 2011 | 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

This happened to me yesterday when I tried to start the car. It did that for about 20 seconds and then it detected the key and let me start the car... weird :/

If the problems persists take it to the dealer to see what the issue is.
Old Sep 29, 2011 | 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

I guess this is with the fast key?

Did you have the key in the same pocket as your phone?
Old Sep 29, 2011 | 06:42 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
I guess this is with the fast key?

Did you have the key in the same pocket as your phone?
+1

Your phone can and does interfere with the fast key. Even when you drive or try to unlock the doors.
Old Sep 29, 2011 | 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

I wear cargo shorts often, that have a "cell phone pocket" and I keep my fast-key in the cargo pocket under my phone, and haven't experienced the issue (yet).

Out of curiosity, what cell provider do you have? (CDMA sprint/verizon/cricket or GSM tmob/att)
Thinking maybe it has to do with the frequency the phone radio is using. I have an OG droid on verizon. I would think the FCC would of done their part and verified that the frequency used by either wont conflict, but ya never know.
Old Sep 29, 2011 | 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

....the "smart key" does NOT like cell phones and sometimes (not always)...

.... the cell signal interrupts the signal from the key fob transmitter.

i have owned a '07 outlander xls , an '08 gts , an '09 ralliart , and now a 2011 outlander sport all with fast key.

all had problems , at times , when cell-phone was too close.

fortunately my 2010 gsr just has "dumb key".
Old Sep 29, 2011 | 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

My iPhone completely blocks all signals Inside and outside quite annoying! This has been happening for a long time wen had fast key batteries replaced now it just locks further away lol still doesn't pickup the key unless I wave and swear at it
Old Sep 29, 2011 | 08:06 AM

Check the battery too.
Old Sep 29, 2011 | 08:09 AM
EvoM Administrator

Even with my iPhone in my pocket, mine is over-sensitive. When I wash the car, it drives me nuts. It passive locks, and the water from the hose hitting the door handle will unlock it again.
Old Sep 29, 2011 | 05:49 PM

Fastkey

Could just be straight malfunctioning like anything electronic from time to time. I have an 08 and never had any problems. IF you got a 2011, go to the dealer. you paid good money for your Evo for a reason, make the headache be a guy in service not you...
Old Sep 30, 2011 | 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Even with my iPhone in my pocket, mine is over-sensitive. When I wash the car, it drives me nuts. It passive locks, and the water from the hose hitting the door handle will unlock it again.
mine to! i hate it when it does that lol.

Also while tuning and i have my laptop in my lap, it always says no key detected so i have to move the laptop and turn the key...annoying.
Old Oct 3, 2011 | 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the phone. Mine has been saying battery low and refused to start the other day. No cell phone at the time lol drove it to the store with the actual metal key in the ignition. Got out and it recognized the fast key and started fine when i was leaving the store
Old Oct 13, 2011 | 11:15 PM

i got this message everyday... just dont put your key in the center bottom area...where the aux is...should fix the problem
Old Oct 14, 2011 | 02:03 AM

keep it away from you cell phone. seriously. haha, every time my phone is close to my keys, it gets mad...
Old Oct 24, 2011 | 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Also while tuning and i have my laptop in my lap, it always says no key detected so i have to move the laptop and turn the key...annoying
That's because the laptop battery is blocking the signal. I just push my key to the outside of my pocket or put it in the center console.

Quick Reply: Key not detected???WTF