Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Stock radio system

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock radio system

I have the NON-Rockford system wich has to be the worst system ever put in a car. The radio cant get loud, i can have it maxed out and still be able to talk on the phone.... Can anyone plz help me out how i can change this plz. I know its prob not going to happen with out wiring an amp somewhere and having an after market radio but would it help if i bought the Rockford head unit with out the amp?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fooj Evo x
I have the NON-Rockford system wich has to be the worst system ever put in a car. The radio cant get loud, i can have it maxed out and still be able to talk on the phone.... Can anyone plz help me out how i can change this plz. I know its prob not going to happen with out wiring an amp somewhere and having an after market radio but would it help if i bought the Rockford head unit with out the amp?
The head unit makes a big difference. Get an aftermarket one. That will improve your sound dramatically.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

new headunit and new speakers. you'll blow the stock speakers with just a headunit.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:27 PM

How are is it too take the door panels off to do speakers?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

How are is it too take the door panels off to do speakers?

Go here http://www.evoscan.com/vehicle-manuals[ and download the service manuals they should tell you just about everything about your EVO X.
I learned how to remove the Front Bumper from them.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:36 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

I have the NON-Rockford system wich has to be the worst system ever put in a car. The radio cant get loud, i can have it maxed out and still be able to talk on the phone.
Wow, I totally must've lucked out w/my non-RF stereo or something.. my last car had an 800+ watt RMS system, and I still think the base Evo X stereo sounds pretty damn good for stock.

Cranked to 35 (+2,+2,+4) it still plays clean, and I'd have to be yelling to talk on a phone. Make sure your DSP & stage settings are both set to normal, crank up the EQ a bit, and see if that helps at all.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 08:28 AM

On a related note:

I'm not an audio system freak, but I just bought a 08 MR and the previous owner removed the subwoofer. I'm wondering what's the best plan of action here. Is it worth to go with the Magicbox because it looks to be a little bit expensive for just an enclosure or should I just buy a used RF oem sub? I'm wondering how is the sound quality cause I never heard it myself.

Any help will be appreciated...
Old Dec 8, 2011, 02:11 AM
Evolving Member

What idiot would take out the RF sub unless they were upgrading????i would either get another RF sub or upgrade the system.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

I was of the same mindset a while back. Since then I've gone through 3 different decks and 2 different amps, along with hours spent installing all them plus an Infinity BaseLink. I still have a hint of alternator whine that I've essentially given up on. There's a 7 page thread around here on it somewhere.

If I had it to do all over again I might have just left it alone. I'm pretty much set that Mitsu did a crappy job of wiring the OEM system which is why I'm having problems. You may want to try just switching your deck and leaving everything else. It will be a noticeable improvement over stock, and it's minimally invasive.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slebo3213
I was of the same mindset a while back. Since then I've gone through 3 different decks and 2 different amps, along with hours spent installing all them plus an Infinity BaseLink. I still have a hint of alternator whine that I've essentially given up on. There's a 7 page thread around here on it somewhere.

If I had it to do all over again I might have just left it alone. I'm pretty much set that Mitsu did a crappy job of wiring the OEM system which is why I'm having problems. You may want to try just switching your deck and leaving everything else. It will be a noticeable improvement over stock, and it's minimally invasive.
Have you tried ditching the OEM harness and wiring it completely your self with shielded wires?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by EXcel4600c
What idiot would take out the RF sub unless they were upgrading????i would either get another RF sub or upgrade the system.
Bet you guy took it out and sold before trading the car in... Ended up getting a used sub. Hopefully this will be plenty enough. We'll know later.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 09:59 PM

just change the head unit and speakers, then if ur still not happy buy an amp and sub. stock radio is pretty bad but not as bad as you make it seem, plus if i want music to my ears i put down all four windows and the accelerator to the floor
Old Dec 9, 2011, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deanob
Have you tried ditching the OEM harness and wiring it completely your self with shielded wires?
I haven't, and this is the first time anyone has suggested that to me. I have done a seperate ground straight from the deck to the metal pipes behind the dash.

Originally Posted by pepin10
just change the head unit and speakers, then if ur still not happy buy an amp and sub. stock radio is pretty bad but not as bad as you make it seem, plus if i want music to my ears i put down all four windows and the accelerator to the floor
I don't think this is a good idea. Any aftermarket speaker out there that is worth buying needs more power than a great aftermarket deck can provide. My experience is that aftermarket speakers without an amp sound HORRIBLE. You need power to produce good, clean sound. However, the increase in power and quality will be noticeable on crappy stock speakers. And 25 watts rms won't blow them.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by jdm_ed
On a related note:

I'm not an audio system freak, but I just bought a 08 MR and the previous owner removed the subwoofer. I'm wondering what's the best plan of action here. Is it worth to go with the Magicbox because it looks to be a little bit expensive for just an enclosure or should I just buy a used RF oem sub? I'm wondering how is the sound quality cause I never heard it myself.

Any help will be appreciated...
Unless you are some sort of an audiophile, I would go ahead and replace it with the stock RF subwoofer. Just look in the part-out threads.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:04 AM

Since we are on the topic of the stock radio. A few month ago I noticed that when playing a cd the audio would only come out of the passenger side speaker. Blown speakers were my first thought, but when I switch over to the radio all speakers function properly. But it gets better, just last week it seems to have changed an now when playing a cd the audio only comes out of the driver side speaker. All speakers still function normally when using the radio.

Anyone with a solution?

Quick Reply: Stock radio system