Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

HIDs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HIDs

was in the market for some HIDs for my 2011 Evo X and curious to see if anyone has ever purchased from Xenon Supply? They got a whole kit (bulbs, wires, ballasts, etc...) for relatively cheap...$90. Anyone have any input on them or any other supplier of HID kits or any advice?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by backwoodsRUNNER
was in the market for some HIDs for my 2011 Evo X and curious to see if anyone has ever purchased from Xenon Supply? They got a whole kit (bulbs, wires, ballasts, etc...) for relatively cheap...$90. Anyone have any input on them or any other supplier of HID kits or any advice?
No experience but the old saying goes "you get what you pay for." Just a thought.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out this post https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...onversion.html

Hope that helps a little
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Alpha X
Check out this post https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...onversion.html

Hope that helps a little

Wasn't expecting them to be that much ha. Thanks for the link, makes that $90 kit look like a joke. Still, for the sake of saving a grand or two right now, are there potential issues when putting HID bulbs in the stock headlights, or are projectors the way to go?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wasn't expecting them to be that much ha. Thanks for the link, makes that $90 kit look like a joke. Still, for the sake of saving a grand or two right now, are there potential issues when putting HID bulbs in the stock headlights, or are projectors the way to go?
If want to blind people then go with no projector. Big trucks with there HID bulbs with no projectors are the worse

I would check the for sale forum and see if someone is doing a part out. Might be a long shot but better than paying thousands for the OEM HID kit.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:48 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Alpha X
If want to blind people then go with no projector. Big trucks with there HID bulbs with no projectors are the worse
x2

you shouldn't have issues with HID capsules (bulbs) in a halogen reflector. 35W HIDs run cooler than halogens, but you will be blinding everyone as halogen reflectors weren't designed for HIDs. if you MUST get an HID get i would recommend the following:

1) get casper shields (to reduce the glare factor)
2) get/make a wiring harness to make sure your low beams stay on when you use your high beams. otherwise, you'll prematurely kill the life of your HID capsules (and ballasts).
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

get ddmtuning, they even give u a lifetime warranty and i had a good customer service experience with them when i had my last evo x.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by laxplayer14
get ddmtuning, they even give u a lifetime warranty and i had a good customer service experience with them when i had my last evo x.
Does anyone else have experience with DDMTuning? Their prices seem way too good to be true,
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:16 AM

putting hid kits in cars with non projectors is illegal in most states just for your information.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by gsrdc2
putting hid kits in cars with non projectors is illegal in most states just for your information.
never heard of that law. can't tell you how many times i've been blinded by HIDs in trucks or SUVs here in SC. are all projector setups HID ready, because I found some that said they were non-HID, which I thought was weird.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:59 PM

if you wanna be cheap you can get 2 sets on ebay for 80 bucks..
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:13 AM
Account Disabled

never heard of that law. can't tell you how many times i've been blinded by HIDs in trucks or SUVs here in SC. are all projector setups HID ready, because I found some that said they were non-HID, which I thought was weird.
i've never heard of this either. especially since HID kits in halogen projectors are almost as bad as HID kits in reflector bowls. basically, the housing needs to be designed for use with HIDs, otherwise the beam pattern will be too focused in the center and the cutoff will be awful to non-existent...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:46 AM

Here's a good site with info about it..
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Small snippet (from a wealth of information) about the law (though no direct references):
What about the law, what does it have to say on the matter? In virtually every first-world country, HID "retrofits" into halogen headlamps are illegal. They're illegal clear across Europe and in all of the many countries that use European ECE headlight regulations. They're illegal in the US and Canada. Some people dismiss this because North American regulations, in particular, are written in such a manner as to reject a great many genuinely good headlamps. Nevertheless, on the particular count of HID "retrofits" into halogen headlamps, the world's regulators and engineers all say DON'T!
Additionally, here are three letters from NHTSA
http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/kim.ztv.html
http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/Shih.3.html
http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/deetz.ztv.html

Last edited by dare599z; Feb 23, 2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Added links
Old May 24, 2012, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

How difficult is it to install casper shields?