Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Stock Navigation Sound Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Navigation Sound Upgrade

I currently own a 2010 MR-T with the stock navigation system. I have been on the fence over the last couple of years regarding the audio/video options. I have thought about many options such as carPCs, Andriod HUs, and Standard Replacement Nav HUs. I tinkered with the idea of being able to run Evoscan in the head unit, but scrapped the idea due to cost and the fact I already have a DashDAQ which does about everything I need. The DashDAQ logs and displays my gauges to my liking. Just need to find a new home for him. My first goal was better sound and still wanted the head unit area to look professional. I also like to take my car to road racing events a couple times a year so I am looking for something clean, professional install and not too heavy.

The stock navigation is the best I have owned to date compared to 04 Mazda and 05 Jeep. I have no complaints from the function department. It computes navigation requests almost immediately, has a decent sized hard drive and works in motion without any hacks (except for video and I don't use it). The stock dash with navigation IMO looks better than any of the other solutions noted above. So I have decided to stay with the stock navigation as my audio/video source.

Now we can all agree that the sound quality of the stock SSS system leaves room from much improvement. I am past the days of multiple subwoofers jamming as loud as I can. I am just looking for a nice clean and well distributed sound quality with good range.

So here is the plan I have started in motion. All of the equipment has been purchased and I am awaiting delivery.

Equipment
Stock Nav Unit
Wicked C.A.S 10" Fiberglass Enclosure
Rockford Fosgate T0D410 10" Dual 4-Ohm Subwoofer
Kicker iX1000.5 Amplifier
JBL MS-8 In-Line Digital Signal Processor
Boston Acoustics SR60 6.5" Components Front
Boston Acoustics SR65 6.5" 2-way Rear
JL XD-PCS2-2B Amp Installation Kit
B-Quiet Ultimate - 100 sq ft
StreetWires ZeroNoise 1 Farad Capacitor

Reasons for my selection
I went with the JBL Signal Processor because it is suppose to be one of the better units on the market. Since I am staying with the stock head unit I wanted to capture as much of the sound as I can. I choose the kicker amp due to the size, power output, and price. I didn't want to have separate amps so I went with a 5 channel amp. The sub enclosure is really the only one on the market, outside of having a shop custom fab one. I have seen no complaints from any of the owners of this enclosure. I went with the capacitor because it was cheap and I don't need anything fancy with readouts.

Things to be determined

1. How to hookup the sound processor. I know some of the JL clean sweep products you remove the factory amp, but based on what I read on the JBL manual you wire the output of the factory amp to the processor. Is the signal from headunit strong enough for the input without the stock amplifier? If I keep the stock amplifier will I still retain speaker level control through the head unit? The sound processor also comes with a pretty complete remote device for crossover control. I plan on running that into my arm rest to keep out of the way, but still accessible when needed.

2. Location of the amps and sound processor. I currently have my spare tire removed and no floor board in the trunk. I kind of liked the extra space. With the additional equipment and if the stock amp has to stay I will need to figure out a solution for mounting of the equipment. Any ideas? If the stock amp is not needed I might have enough room under the seats. I know the amp will fit, which is one of the reasons I purchased the amp, just not sure if I will have enough room for the sound processor also. If I have to keep the stock amp I was thinking of installing the amp and processor where the spare tire use to be, but I worry about heat. Any ideas?

3. Where to custom mount my DashDAQ and still keep the practical display use? Attached below is where it is currently located.

Well this is my plan moving forward. I look to have everything completed by the beginning of August. I am out of the country and that is when I return next. I will definitely post some pictures when the install starts. I welcome your guys comments.

Last edited by jdfrank81; Jun 17, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 08:05 AM

Reserved
Old Jun 3, 2012, 08:06 AM

Reserved.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

subscribed
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:15 AM

Purchased the Wicked C.A.S box from Ebay. I didn't know you could make offers. I just put in a number to see and bam they accepted it.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:01 PM

Any updates really interested in the progress and want a lot of pictures
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:55 PM

No updates, just gathering the hardware. All I have left to purchase is some some dampening material and amp cables. I am currently in Argentina and as soon as I come back the install begins.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:37 PM

So I asked JBL regarding the use of the stock amp or not.

This was their response.

"The best sonic results will come from the most direct connection. In other words, if you are able to connect the output of the head unit directly to the MS8 and then to your Kicker amp, this would be best.

However, many of today’s car audio systems put the brain of the system in the stock amp. In other words, if you have navigation or blue tooth in your car system, and there are sounds that come out of only one speaker, for example the navigation voice comes from the rear speakers and the blue-tooth phone voice comes from the front left speaker, or anything like that, these types of functions typically come from the stock amp, not from the head unit. If this is the case, you must keep the stock amp in the system in order to keep all of these features. But please be aware that while you will still have these features, these sounds will now be spread out to all speakers being that the MS8 will sum the signals together in order to recreate the perfect stereo audio signal."

So is there any body running an aftermarket amp with the stock nav and not using the stock amplifier? If so, did you retain the stock nav voice and bluetooth audio?

Last edited by jdfrank81; Jun 18, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:25 PM

A forgot tho test it today did my car now will make a own forum topic about the build when i have time