Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Sony DVD HU with Evo X featured in video (now with review)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:09 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Sony DVD HU with Evo X featured in video (now with review)

I picked one of these up, scheduled to arrive Friday. Excited.

Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it support id3 and album art via ad2p streaming?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you buy it from? Link please
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

More info and retailer with it in stock:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV6...601bt&skipvs=T
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Am I seeing this right? the compatibility list for the mirror link system are just nokia phones? LMFAO ... what did sony do?

Should of just ran Android 2.3.6 OS

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/learn....aspx?aid=2805
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by deanob
Am I seeing this right? the compatibility list for the mirror link system are just nokia phones? LMFAO ... what did sony do?

Should of just ran Android 2.3.6 OS

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/learn....aspx?aid=2805
That's the early list on mirror link. I have an iphone, so I'll be sure to report back if it sucks bad.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:21 PM
EvoM Administrator

I installed this today. I pulled out my Alpine CDA-117 and the BT module so I could put this in. I'm using it with an Alpine 5 channel amp, components, yada yada yada. I know the 117 is supposedly near audiophile quality, but it's interface was so late nineties.

This Sony is my first DVD HU, so a little of the excitement is from that. I got an Ebay 3 wire hack and had the deck installed and was nerding out to Firefly on DVD less than an hour later, driving around my block.

The screen and display are great. Very clear.

The setup was a total breeze, because the interface is super slick. I had my iPhone paired, speaker distance programmed, sound shaped the way I wanted it in just a few minutes. The firmware is good, everything is fast, intuitive, and the iTunes stuff displays album cover, etc.

Sound is very, very good, and has 5V preouts. Default the sub output is pretty hot, at least compared to what my Alpine was putting out.

The Bluetooth on this is way better than my Alpine as well.

I took the kids out for a spin, popped in the Disney Cars DVD, and had silence in the car for them for the first time... well, ever.

I'll update this as I learn more, but totally loving it so far and don't miss the Alpine one bit! Thanks for reading.

Edit: Just found a negative: If you leave your phone attached and get out of the car for a minute to pump gas, drop off the kids, etc, the music won't play everytime. Might be because of a lot of initializing with BT, etc, but I noticed I have to pull and reconnect my phone. They need to fix this.

Last edited by Noize; Jun 15, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

This HU looks great! I have been looking at buying a HU because I currently have the 2008 stock system in my car. I really want to be able to have a touch screen with bluetooth audio/call capabilities and to mirror my iPhone for music/videos/apps. This seems like it has all of that...What's your take?

Did you need to purchase any wires to have the iPhone play YouTube and other video apps, such as Netflix, WatchESPN, etc.?

Also, if I were to purchase this for my 2008 MR would it work fine with my stock stereo system? Where would I have this installed at?

Any advice would help. Thanks.

Last edited by CU125; Jun 14, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:49 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by CU125
This HU looks great! I have been looking at buying a HU because I currently have the 2008 stock system in my car. I really want to be able to have a touch screen with bluetooth audio/call capabilities and to mirror my iPhone for music/videos/apps. This seems like it has all of that...What's your take?

Did you need to purchase any wires to have the iPhone play YouTube and other video apps, such as Netflix, WatchESPN, etc.?

Also, if I were to purchase this for my 2008 MR would it work fine with my stock stereo system? Where would I have this installed at?

Any advice would help. Thanks.
Well, if you have the Rockford system, you'll encounter a bit of trouble and either need to buy a special connection kit or just rip it out and replace with a good amplifier.

I haven't messed with Youtube, netflix, etc yet. Sorry about that.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Edit: Just found a negative: If you leave your phone attached and get out of the car for a minute to pump gas, drop off the kids, etc, the music won't play everytime. Might be because of a lot of initializing with BT, etc, but I noticed I have to pull and reconnect my phone. They need to fix this.
Im not sure why the audio companies are having so much trouble with mobile phones. I ran into a similar problem with my JVC HU. I have my iPhone connected via BT (for hands free calling) and then plugged in via iPod cable (for charging and album art).

I would start the car and then plug in the phone. It would connect via cable relatively fast and start playing music. Then, when the BT finally connects, it would lose the audio connection over the cable. If you wait for it to connect over BT and THEN plug the cable in, both connections worked fine.

Really annoying. It got worse when the BT adapter on the deck started to fail but that is a whole other story.

edit - Also, its AVRCP 1.3 that provides support for metadata streaming. Can you confirm if this deck supports it? Connect via Bluetooth and stream music. If the Song info and Album Art are displayed on the screen, its compliant.

edit2 - Crutchfield support says its AVRCP 1.3. Testing would still be nice, though.

Last edited by ProjectGSX; Jun 15, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Well, if you have the Rockford system, you'll encounter a bit of trouble and either need to buy a special connection kit or just rip it out and replace with a good amplifier.

I haven't messed with Youtube, netflix, etc yet. Sorry about that.
I have the basic sound system, not the RF premium sound package.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

That's effin sick
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Does it display the Google Nav or Iphone equivalent? Next HU i get either has to have Nav built in or can display from the phone.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:02 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by ravnos04
Does it display the Google Nav or Iphone equivalent? Next HU i get either has to have Nav built in or can display from the phone.
Supposedly it can display Telenav, but I use Waze. No pics, but it's speaking through my radio from my iPhone.

Sony is releasing a Tom Tom module for it with graphic full built in, etc. Kind of nice that you can get a high end HU and it takes the sting out of having to buy a really expensive unit all at once.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Would you recommend this to another Evo owner? I have an 08 MR and I am looking to get a HU ASAP.

Can I connect via Bluetooth using my iPhone 4S without having to use a wire hook up?

Quick Reply: Sony DVD HU with Evo X featured in video (now with review)