Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

? About a Rear Camera install

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
? About a Rear Camera install

I have been pondering the idea about getting a rear camera for my 2008 Evo MR. I am looking into buying a touch screen head unit & with that I'd like to hook up a rear cam to work with the HU. I've looked on Crutchfield to make sure the different HU's have a rear-cam input.

Any suggestion on where to purchase, how much, & where to get it installed? If you could give me a break down as far as if it's worth it all that. I appreciate it. Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much are you looking to spend on the HU? Are you absolutely set on having someone else install everything?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CU125
I have been pondering the idea about getting a rear camera for my 2008 Evo MR. I am looking into buying a touch screen head unit & with that I'd like to hook up a rear cam to work with the HU. I've looked on Crutchfield to make sure the different HU's have a rear-cam input.

Any suggestion on where to purchase, how much, & where to get it installed? If you could give me a break down as far as if it's worth it all that. I appreciate it. Thanks!
Honestly it isn't too hard to install that stuff yourself. Headunit will be a sinch to put in, they also make cameras that bolt over the license plate so there won't be any drilling, just running the wiring through the trunk, through the seat, up the side underneath the carpeting to the HU.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
b3n
Evolving Member

The GSR I just bought has an Alpine INA-W900 deck with a backup camera mounted over the license plate holes...though admittedly I haven't had a chance to play with it yet...looks clean though.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by r34p3rex
How much are you looking to spend on the HU? Are you absolutely set on having someone else install everything?
I am looking to spend around $600 - $650 on the HU; if I can get something good without having to pay that much then I would obviously prefer to do that. As for installing, I have never done any installation pertaining to wiring and a CD deck, which is why I was looking for a technician to install it.

Originally Posted by donzilla2004
Honestly it isn't too hard to install that stuff yourself. Headunit will be a sinch to put in, they also make cameras that bolt over the license plate so there won't be any drilling, just running the wiring through the trunk, through the seat, up the side underneath the carpeting to the HU.
I have never done anything of this before, so I am a total noob.

Originally Posted by b3n
The GSR I just bought has an Alpine INA-W900 deck with a backup camera mounted over the license plate holes...though admittedly I haven't had a chance to play with it yet...looks clean though.
That's cool man. How does the camera look on the HU? Does the camera automatically appear on the HU face when in reverse? I'd really like to get this feature if it won't be costly. I think it would be beneficial for sure.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

If you get your unit from Crutchfield.com it will give you step by step instructions on how to remove your existing HU and install the new one. Many people have gone that route and hasn't had a single issue. Worth checking it out.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

If you get your unit from Crutchfield.com it will give you step by step instructions on how to remove your existing HU and install the new one. Many people have gone that route and hasn't had a single issue. Worth checking it out.
Alright man thanks! I'll take a look into it.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:13 AM

Its not too bad to install, there are many different options.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Also keep in mind, if you get stuck crutchfield also offers customer phone support too, they are very good, i have purchased many radios and car audio equipment from them, they stand behind their warranties, may not necessarily have the cheapest price, but the deals are good and the customer service is better.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Also keep in mind, if you get stuck crutchfield also offers customer phone support too, they are very good, i have purchased many radios and car audio equipment from them, they stand behind their warranties, may not necessarily have the cheapest price, but the deals are good and the customer service is better.
Alright, great! Thanks.

Where can I buy a camera to install on the car?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

Alright, great! Thanks.

Where can I buy a camera to install on the car?
I'm pretty sure crutchfield has the license plate bracket setup cameras if not I know they are all over ebay. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Color-Vi...item3cc7bd924c
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:16 AM

I'm pretty sure crutchfield has the license plate bracket setup cameras if not I know they are all over ebay. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Color-Video-Rear-View-Backup-Camera-Night-Vision-Reversing-License-Plate-/261049127500?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&ha sh=item3cc7bd924c

wow,it's only 10$,really so cheap.i saw one here.
http://www.autoadas.com/universal-ca...ion-p-329.html

i also want to buy this dvd for my car.
http://www.autoadas.com/mitsubishi-l...otv-p-234.html
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Color-Vi...item3cc7bd924c
Ok great! Thanks man. Any idea about where I would purchase the actual camera & wiring?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Ok great! Thanks man. Any idea about where I would purchase the actual camera & wiring?
it comes with it.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:15 PM

i am in the process of doing this same mod to my car. i went with a Pioneer avic Z140bh and a boyo rear view cam. i will let you know how it goes

Quick Reply: ? About a Rear Camera install