Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

First Headunit... suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First Headunit... suggestion?

Hi, I'm finally pulling the trigger on a build in double din head unit. the main purpose is for music / GPS.

I've never had an after headunit. always been using my cellphone for GPS (google maps). so I'm wondering what's a good user friendly headunit and good navigation.

Many friends are recommending Pioneer. saying it's good quality. Any other suggestions?

- less than $1000..
- double din, touch screen GPS
- prefer Android compatible... Pioneer allows Pandora from Android
- nothing with crappy plastic feeling buttons.. I hate those buttons that feel like it's about to fall off..
- all the other options, ie. reverse cam, blue tooth, etc.. are nice! but it's not a must.

currently looking at:

AVIC-Z140BH ~860$

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-Z140BH

AVIC X940 ~600$

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-X940BT
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless these somehow magically support it, you will lose your steering wheel controls for BT & audio. If they have their own support, you'll be doing some wiring up to your wheel.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vegittoss15
Unless these somehow magically support it, you will lose your steering wheel controls for BT & audio. If they have their own support, you'll be doing some wiring up to your wheel.
ya I got the 2008 GSR.. no steering wheel anything I got the stupid Snow/Gravel/Tarmac control there.. was planning on picking up a MR audio control and install it when I have the HU installed..
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

Kenwood DNX7190HD

Says it works with Android over BT. This would be my choice because of maps updates. Being in the military you never know where you will be. This particular model apparently isn't plauged by the slow startup speed or touchscreen.

My question is though, which steering wheel adapter would you use?
- Axxess
- Metra

Both are shown as available on Crutchfield. I know you won't have this problem, but others (and I) will want our steering wheel controls.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

thanks! I'll look into that model.. I'm not very tech savy on electronics. I know I'll need to buy the MR Audio switch from Mitsubishi.. the adapter, I'll just tell the stereo shop to install whatever that works..
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:56 PM

What's the best cellphone head unit?

Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by emilyee
What's the best cellphone head unit?
what is most important to you? you have to prioritize what you would need the HU for. For some it's the display and ability to integrate cell phones into the HU interface; for others it is the sound and nav...just make a list and do some research.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

I used the Metra steering wheel adapter for my install and it worked great. I was able to keep most of the steering wheel buttons.

Id suggest buying your unit local and paying for the extended warranty so you can just swap it out for a new unit if you have issues. My JVC deck had some problems and I ended up having to ship the thing across the country for a month, only to have it come back with the same problem.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by ravnos04
what is most important to you? you have to prioritize what you would need the HU for. For some it's the display and ability to integrate cell phones into the HU interface; for others it is the sound and nav...just make a list and do some research.

Thanks

```
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ProjectGSX
I used the Metra steering wheel adapter for my install and it worked great. I was able to keep most of the steering wheel buttons.

Id suggest buying your unit local and paying for the extended warranty so you can just swap it out for a new unit if you have issues. My JVC deck had some problems and I ended up having to ship the thing across the country for a month, only to have it come back with the same problem.
I'm planning on purchasing it from Amazon before they start taxing California.. but I can try have local shops match price
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by m0nkie
I'm planning on purchasing it from Amazon before they start taxing California.. but I can try have local shops match price
I don't think you'll be able to find too many, if any shops that can price match with Amazon but spending more $$ locally can benefit if you have issues and want to take it back.
I agree with RavNos4, you need to find the deck that has the features you want and also prioritize your wants/needs. Some decks will have ALL of the features you want but you may have to end up paying more for those. Many decks I've come across over the years, you have to make sacrafices for one feature to get another feature. If GPS is your biggest need, start looking for the decks where the GPS works really well. After that, you can start looking at other features to decide which ones you really can and can't live without.
I'm in the same boat with you now except my big need is Satellite radio and SiriusXM has the most f**ked up service (1 company but 3 different tuners that provide 3 different services).