Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Foglight HID Install questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foglight HID Install questions

I am thinking about doing some HIDs in my foglights and I was wondering...

1) All of the how-to's that I see tell you to take the front bumper off. Has anyone successfully installed HIDs in the fogs without removing the front bumper? I really want to avoid this if possible

2) Is there a safe/reliable way to set the foglights up so that they can be turned on without the headlights being on?

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:24 AM

1) you can do HID fog without taking off the bumper but mounting the ballast might be a little extra difficult. it takes like 5 mins to take the bumper off.

2) there's a thread in the How-To section on how to rig the fog to turns on without headlights, but i think the down side is it's always on regardless of light switches.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by punk3r
1) you can do HID fog without taking off the bumper but mounting the ballast might be a little extra difficult. it takes like 5 mins to take the bumper off.

2) there's a thread in the How-To section on how to rig the fog to turns on without headlights, but i think the down side is it's always on regardless of light switches.
Thanks for the reply. I know taking the bumper off isnt terribly hard, but its a brand new car and I feel weird about taking body panels off this soon. Besides, it seems like the bumper is never quite as tight after you take it off the first time (maybe thats all in my head lol)
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Don't take the bumper off. I lifted the front of my car, took off the plastic under tray and did it that way. I did both sides start to finish in just under an hour.

For my car, i also installed HID headlights, and used a relay to power them, and another for the fogs. The relay for the headlights disabled the DRL (as i had ridiculous flicker/HID bulb shut down with the DRL - not enough power for HID bulb on DRL)

Then i ran a separate relay for the fogs, and mounted an independant switch to control them. But there is a how-to on here somewhere to do it a different way i think.

I put my ballasts up in behind the front bumper, and fastened them there. I have had them for 2 years, including 2 harsh winters and have never had any problems with them there.

Last edited by zebra4; Jul 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM.