Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

No power except when I start the car

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No power except when I start the car

I have a 2011 GSR. I've looked and haven't seen a thread about this. So my fog lights wouldn't come on for some reason. I tried to check to see if the fuse blew. While attempting to locate the fuse the "wire station" I have set up to connect my boost gauge and wide band happened to touch a piece of metal. The lights went out. When I turn the key to the "ON/ACC" position nothing happens. But the car startes up and with power. I've check all the fuses in both fuse boxes. One under the hood and the other under the steering wheel. All are good to go. Not one is blown. What else could be the problem. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did u check the fusible link
Old Jan 14, 2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 10evoxgsr
Did u check the fusible link
I don't see anything blown on the fusible link. I had to look to see where it was luckily I found out what it was from here http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18333.

It's not the alternator for sure. It's charging the battery. I've checked every last fuse regardless of what it went too. The only fuses I haven't checked are the the big square ones under the hood. Not sure how to check these.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:25 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Waters910
I don't see anything blown on the fusible link. I had to look to see where it was luckily I found out what it was from here http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18333.

It's not the alternator for sure. It's charging the battery. I've checked every last fuse regardless of what it went too. The only fuses I haven't checked are the the big square ones under the hood. Not sure how to check these.

those are relays, sometimes you can tell by shaking them. Take a relay that is known to be good (like fuel pump, if the car runs) and swap it with the headlight relay and turn the switch to see if it works. It would be unusual if the relay blew, but not impossible.

Here's another thought...check to see if the bulbs blew out. Since you hit the gauge power supply, perhaps you accidentally touched the orange wire (illumination) to the read wire (batt+) to ground wire, all at once, sending a shock of voltage into the bulbs, burning them out. I would definately check that.

An easier way to check is get a trailer test light from walmart or wherever, and poke the harness behind the fog lights to see if they getting power.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ikt
those are relays, sometimes you can tell by shaking them. Take a relay that is known to be good (like fuel pump, if the car runs) and swap it with the headlight relay and turn the switch to see if it works. It would be unusual if the relay blew, but not impossible.

Here's another thought...check to see if the bulbs blew out. Since you hit the gauge power supply, perhaps you accidentally touched the orange wire (illumination) to the read wire (batt+) to ground wire, all at once, sending a shock of voltage into the bulbs, burning them out. I would definately check that.

An easier way to check is get a trailer test light from walmart or wherever, and poke the harness behind the fog lights to see if they getting power.
I'm not too concerned about the fog lights right now. My focus is the no power in the car unless it's running. No accessories period before I start the car.

Ugh this is so frustrating. I'm going to try to post a video so it's clearer.