Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

GSR SSS HID Flicker and Turnoff

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSR SSS HID Flicker and Turnoff

So I have seen a lot of threads through here regarding aftermarket HIDs and flicker issues as well as a few about the SSS OEM ones but still haven't quite gotten to a solution.

So...

I have a 2008 X GSR SSS. Been having issues with drivers side low beam flickering then turning off for a bit now. Then the passenger side started doing it and the other night while driving through the canyon here on my way back from Malibu both decided to go out at once and I was in pitch black. Not really my idea of a good time but anyways.

I need to figure this out. I've read about issues with voltages, wiring, the bulbs, etc. Bulbs seem to be fine (could still be them), everything seemed like a tight fit, doesn't seem like there are any loose fuses, but it seems more of an electrical issue which is why I started this thread.

So any tips, ideas you guys may have let me have em. I haven't had too much time to really get down and dirty with these but I have no issues with taking the bumper off as I need to install my intercooler piping anyways.

I also have no issue with just buying completely new headlamps and installing those because if I am going to take the bumper off I might as well do it all at once, right? I just don't want to lead to more issues than I had before so if I need new headlamps and any other parts list em all so I can knock this out with one attempt.

So feel free to suggest how to fix this, what headlamps I should get to replace the OEM ones or any other cables, kits, hacks, or fixes you guys know of.

I picked these up off Amazon and will install them this weekend when I get a day off, but not sure if these will even address the problem.

HID Kit Computer Warning Canceller & Anti Flicker"><span style=HID Kit Computer Warning Canceller & Anti Flicker" /> HID Kit Computer Warning Canceller & Anti Flicker">HID Kit Computer Warning Canceller & Anti Flicker

Thanks everyone.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 05:30 PM

I received the warning cancellors today and will install this weekend when I get some free time to take the front end apart.

Have to install my intercooler piping and buff out my headlights as well so I might as well knock all these things out at once.

Will post pics and updates with results
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:05 AM

So finally had time to do some work this weekend on this stuff.

Got the bumper off, headlamps removed and go to hook up the warning cancellors and what do you know they wont plug in to the plugs. They aren't compatible.

I thought the EVOX was all canbus and these would fit but nope, different sized plugs.

I did notice that my fog lights are HIDs though and had been done in a conversion kit by the previous owner.

I was also able to finally install my upper intercooler pipe finally so that is done.

Wanted to get the OEM intake installed so I can go get my car smogged but it wont fit the pipe I had and apparently the guy I bought the oem intake from didn't include the stock plastic tube/pipe so that was a waste of money.

So now I am thinking I just buy the AEM and drop that one in and leave it at that.

Any suggestions?

on the headlamp issue or the intake?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 08:21 PM

are they running though a relay???
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by sergies2001
are they running though a relay???
I believe after looking and tracing everything that it is all still stock.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 07:44 PM

Did you ever figure this out?

I am desperately searching for an answer to my flickering issue. Call me crazy but I bought my Evo wrecked and have been rebuilding it for the last seven months. Since both halogen headlights were toast I thought I would upgrade with the OEM HIDs. My stock wiring harness had the extra connector for the HIDs so I thought I would be good to go. Everything plugged in fine to the OEM HIDs. When I finally went to power them up they flickered but only when the lights were off. Yes, off. When the headlights are on they work great. Both high and low beams which operate through the same outboard lenses. The inboard lens, which should be the DRLs, do nothing...ever. I am thinking that the DRLs are running through the bulbs that should be the high and low beams when they should be running through the inboard lenses. I thought it might be a relay issue but so far I am pretty sure that I am using the correct relays in the right plugs. Not positive though. My car is a 2010 and I installed OEM HIDs from a 2014. I thought that might be the issue but I checked with Mitsubishi and they confirmed that the part numbers for the HIDs are the same from 2010 to 2014. So, that doesn't seem like that should be the problem. Next I thought that even with the correct extra connector (at the lens) on my stock wiring harness that maybe the HIDs still used a different wiring harness. A guy I know who really knows his Evos said the harnesses are the same. Not absolutely definitive but pretty good. So, if anybody can help me figure out this issue I would really appreciate it. Since I bought my Evo wrecked I have to pass a brake and light inspection and that won't happen until I can resolve this issue. In other words, I cannot drive my car yet. I had someone suggest that I should just rewire the DRLs to the inboard lens. I would rather not do that since HIDs were an option on this car and therefore what I am trying to do should be possible without messing with the wiring like that. Please help!!!