Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Bluetooth retrofit questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2024 | 03:36 PM

Bluetooth retrofit questions

I'm currently in the planning phase of adding bluetooth audio streaming to my car. A few questions regarding that:
All the threads on the matter say I need the N-04 8750A209 or N-05 8750A238 head unit for this. Unfortunately, I was born on the wrong side of the pond, so just to be sure I have to ask: are E-04 8750A210 and E-05 8750A239 effectively the same? The OEM numbers are off by one so I would assume that it's only some trivial modifications for the European users, but I'd like to be sure. What about E-06 8750A327? The bigger numbers ought to mean newer and better, I would assume, but there's no US equivalent and therefore no information.

Secondly, I'm starting with the basic CD reader head unit, which seems to complicate things. A lot of new parts seem to be needed, going by this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...s-upgrade.html
However, it would seem as though most of those parts are unnecessary if I don't care about GPS navigation. Am I correct in figuring that all I really need besides the head unit itself is
8750A225 Lancer CAN Interface Module, 8701A168 MMCS mounting bracket, and 8785A049 Bluetooth/Handsfree module?
Regarding the BT module, according to other threads what I need for FUSE is 8785A025. Are those two parts equivalent? And as I'm writing this, I also found out about 8785A026 and 8785A050 - another pair of off-by-one OEM numbers. Is that once again some EU-vs-NA parts thing? Doesn't seem to be, since I can actually find all four of these on used car parts websites here. Can I just pick whichever is cheapest?

I suspect the inevitable recommendation will be to get an aftermarket Android head unit for much less money and probably also less fuss, bother and itch. I'll pre-emptively reject this suggestion on the basis that I don't like huge touch screens, I think the MMCS looks much better, has actual buttons, and probably also doesn't sell my data or report to Beijing as much.

Third, if I'm putting a screen on my dash, might as well add a backup camera, too. Can't find much information about that, what's the best way of doing this?

Fourth, I'd like to retrofit the Rockford Fosgate audio. I know everyone says it's not very good and a custom system makes more sense, but in my particular case I have a base model Lancer waiting for the junkyard, which has the RF in it, and I see no reason to not take the free upgrade. How complicated would it be to make that swap?
Old Yesterday | 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wurfy
I'm currently in the planning phase of adding bluetooth audio streaming to my car. A few questions regarding that:
All the threads on the matter say I need the N-04 8750A209 or N-05 8750A238 head unit for this. Unfortunately, I was born on the wrong side of the pond, so just to be sure I have to ask: are E-04 8750A210 and E-05 8750A239 effectively the same? The OEM numbers are off by one so I would assume that it's only some trivial modifications for the European users, but I'd like to be sure. What about E-06 8750A327? The bigger numbers ought to mean newer and better, I would assume, but there's no US equivalent and therefore no information.

Secondly, I'm starting with the basic CD reader head unit, which seems to complicate things. A lot of new parts seem to be needed, going by this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...s-upgrade.html
However, it would seem as though most of those parts are unnecessary if I don't care about GPS navigation. Am I correct in figuring that all I really need besides the head unit itself is
8750A225 Lancer CAN Interface Module, 8701A168 MMCS mounting bracket, and 8785A049 Bluetooth/Handsfree module?
Regarding the BT module, according to other threads what I need for FUSE is 8785A025. Are those two parts equivalent? And as I'm writing this, I also found out about 8785A026 and 8785A050 - another pair of off-by-one OEM numbers. Is that once again some EU-vs-NA parts thing? Doesn't seem to be, since I can actually find all four of these on used car parts websites here. Can I just pick whichever is cheapest?

I suspect the inevitable recommendation will be to get an aftermarket Android head unit for much less money and probably also less fuss, bother and itch. I'll pre-emptively reject this suggestion on the basis that I don't like huge touch screens, I think the MMCS looks much better, has actual buttons, and probably also doesn't sell my data or report to Beijing as much.

Third, if I'm putting a screen on my dash, might as well add a backup camera, too. Can't find much information about that, what's the best way of doing this?

Fourth, I'd like to retrofit the Rockford Fosgate audio. I know everyone says it's not very good and a custom system makes more sense, but in my particular case I have a base model Lancer waiting for the junkyard, which has the RF in it, and I see no reason to not take the free upgrade. How complicated would it be to make that swap?
Since this generation has different parts for model years then you should post up that information if you want someone to verify that you have the right part. It should be easy to retrofit bluetooth functionality but also you should be warned that bluetooth modules can go bad and drain batteries. I have seen this happen to couple Evos.

I would see if there is an audio installaton site like Crutchfield they might have access to the information you need as well.
Old Today | 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by deylag
Since this generation has different parts for model years then you should post up that information if you want someone to verify that you have the right part.
Except as far as I can tell, there is no reason for me to get the specific parts for my model year. Especially if I were to have a pre-2011 car, because some of the pre-2011 parts, particularly the head units themselves, weren't FUSE compatible anyway. If I wanted bluetooth on my 2008 Lancer, I absolutely should not get the 2008 parts regardless.