Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How long to hack the X ecu?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlesJ
The MR is going to be there real trick. Not only do you have to hack both the ecu and the transmission ecu, but they talk to each other with two way communication.
Pffff. Too easy that is, i already did it.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:56 PM
slt
Evolved Member

Works is already messing with the regular lancers ecu. They're factory backed by mitsubishi for the Speed World Challenge race series and have been heavily developing it. I would think they would have something available soon

Last edited by slt; Jan 22, 2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I meant to post this in the 210210 other similiar posts about this in the ECUFlash forum. It comes down to dedication. Honestly if a shop out there pays a few full time software engineers it could be reverse engineered in under a month. But of course then they wouldn't share that information with anyone else (see Works, HKS, Blitz et. al).

To get it to joe schome public takes a while because its people doing this a lot in their spare time.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 04:15 AM

I haven't read a lot about it, but I know that the X now uses a data bus, but what components are linked to the bus. I highly doubt that individual sensors are connected to the bus because it would be too expensive to have a BIU (bus interface unit to convert analog signals to data bus codes) for every analog sensor. That should still allow the use of some piggy back systems like the S-AFC. I would imagine that there would be maby one or two BIUs for the engine and one for the transmission that would be located somewhere under the hood then just those two or three small data bus lines that connect to the ECU to simplify wiring. I would also guess that the all of the interior functions have another BIU as well as the instrument cluster. Just a guess..
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by codgi
I meant to post this in the 210210 other similiar posts about this in the ECUFlash forum. It comes down to dedication. Honestly if a shop out there pays a few full time software engineers it could be reverse engineered in under a month. But of course then they wouldn't share that information with anyone else (see Works, HKS, Blitz et. al).

To get it to joe schome public takes a while because its people doing this a lot in their spare time.

The ecuflash forum is specific to the evo 1-9. If there are X threads, they should be in here. I will take a look and see if things need to be moved
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

you forgot the word "light"
Originally Posted by Import Junky
2 years.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RallySport Direct
Cobb tuning has already been on top of this, even before the car came out

http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/?p=46
Great...looks like this may be our first option
I like seeing COBB out in front on the ECU flashing tip, but after knowing how long COBB takes to put out a new AP, I think another company will beat them to it.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The ecuflash forum is specific to the evo 1-9. If there are X threads, they should be in here. I will take a look and see if things need to be moved
I didn't mean it that way but it would seem to make sense to have those questions moved over here since this is where people will start to look for them
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

I just heard from a source that it may be coming sooner than expected out of japan. Granted there ecu is probably slightly different, its similar enough. I have also been told that this ecu is far more advanced and protected than the previous making it much harder for the casual hacker
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:31 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they'll hack into the engine ECU rather quickly. I've got money on the guys from WORKS being the first to do it (just like they were with the VIII).

The big question is how long it will take to crack the code on the ECU that controls the SST. The VW/Audi tuners took quite a while to crack the DSG...and that's STILL a work-in-progress and that transmission has been out for over 2 years.

Last edited by atombomb33; Jan 24, 2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Forget what you heard about the 1,500 mile break-in feature of the ECU. Its just not true. I am on the phone with a Mitsu Master Technician that just completed the X school.

He is going to post up what he has learned and I'll pass it along.

ECU is CAN C, CAN B and LIN (backup and redundant systems).

Last edited by Bonestock!; Jan 24, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:28 PM
Account Disabled

^Does that mean it will be impossible to crack?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

The MR is going to be there real trick. Not only do you have to hack both the ecu and the transmission ecu, but they talk to each other with two way communication.
hahaha welcome to my world. Ever since can-bus came out in VW's back in 99, the tuning world has not been the same.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bonestock!
Forget what you heard about the 1,500 mile break-in feature of the ECU. Its just not true. I am on the phone with a Mitsu Master Technician that just completed the X school.

He is going to post up what he has learned and I'll pass it along.

ECU is CAN C, CAN B and LIN (backup and redundant systems).
+1. all the computers talk to each other through this network. If you fock up 1 of the them the whole system will shut down.

VW's have a K-wire but just for the ECM, for after market scanners to read codes. There are high and low singal wires on these computers were faster data ect... is set through the high wire and slower signals go through the low wire. Through 1 wire, a signal can be received and sent

Do these cars have a gateway system in them... as in 1 control module were all signals from all the other computers go?

We have fiber optics in our cars (VW's)... do you X owners have that

Just curious here. I am really good with Can-Bus systems and I know its no VW but they someway have to be the same???
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by pltek
you forgot the word "light"
thats not a length of time, thats a distance...

Quick Reply: How long to hack the X ecu?