Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How long to hack the X ecu?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nj1266
Unfortunately, it might even be higher since EcuTek will be the only one in the market with a flashing option for the Evo X. The days of tempering your profits with ethics are long gone. Adam Smith is turning in his grave
If you don't want to pay the high licensing fees nobody is forcing you... i will wait for ecuflash to flash my X as the price is just right and have no rush to be the 1st customer with 290 whp with just a flash.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unowned
If you don't want to pay the high licensing fees nobody is forcing you... i will wait for ecuflash to flash my X as the price is just right and have no rush to be the 1st customer with 290 whp with just a flash.
I fully agree with you ...If all consumers waited for ECUflash, then EcuTek will have no choice but drop their prices. I feel like an idiot everytime I think about how I paid close to $1000 for an Xede and tune only to have ECU flash come on the market two months later
Old Feb 7, 2008, 05:18 PM
Account Disabled

^Damn! Big time regret. I'll learn from you my friend.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
^Damn! Big time regret. I'll learn from you my friend.
Tell me about it...But I learned my lesson. When I got my Evo 9 I tuned it myself. It cost me $90 for the Tactrix cable
Old Feb 7, 2008, 07:19 PM
Account Disabled

lol, nice!
Old Feb 7, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
However, you have to remember that you do pay a premium to be an early adopter, and before OpenECU hit the Evo, it was the only option other then buying a full replacement ECU, or buying an expensive ROM reflasher. The advent of putting the power in the users hands completely changed the industry, but doesn't make the inventions of the early tuners any less valuable. Besides, it was the interpretations of those early maps that made us able to recognize the power of our cars much quicker. There is also a large group of people that will never feel comfortable tuning their own vehicle.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:57 PM
Account Disabled

Depending on the price, I'd probably pay....
Old Feb 8, 2008, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
The actual license fee component of that $650-750 reflash price was reasonably small. Over time, the license has gotten even smaller (sub $200). I found it to be reasonable given the fact that the Ecutek system always seems to be a few months ahead of other reflashing options. The downside, of course, was the software license itself. It stayed in the ECU ROM image even when the ECU was flashed back to stock.

Shiv

Absolutely Shiv. While stationed in the UK I forked out 4 times to get remapped w/ ECUTEK. Twice it cost about $800. The other 2 times it cost me $1200!!!!!! It wasnt till I purchased an Evo that found out about $52 email flashes. Yet I still choose to be custom tuned on the dyno. ECUTEK is some great software, the Delta Dash is second to none.

A bit OT but Shiv has ECUTEK released DD for us 03-06 Evo guys yet?
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:26 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
The actual license fee component of that $650-750 reflash price was reasonably small. Over time, the license has gotten even smaller (sub $200). I found it to be reasonable given the fact that the Ecutek system always seems to be a few months ahead of other reflashing options. The downside, of course, was the software license itself. It stayed in the ECU ROM image even when the ECU was flashed back to stock.

Shiv
Just to add my two cents

Ecutek has been and always was the # 1 innovator in the ecu reflash industry

I have always found their products to be innovative and work very well

The license fee model is very good as it supports world class tech support and ongoing product development

Hiring engineers to work on products and provide onbgoing timely support for new ecus as they are released and also tech support on tuning questions all costs a lot of money and I for one have no problem to pay what ever Ecutek charges

The fact that the license remains in the ecu is of no problem to the customer as it is in a non used area

Again the license fee is a one tiome charge you only pay one time

Al
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:30 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
However, you have to remember that you do pay a premium to be an early adopter, and before OpenECU hit the Evo, it was the only option other then buying a full replacement ECU, or buying an expensive ROM reflasher. The advent of putting the power in the users hands completely changed the industry, but doesn't make the inventions of the early tuners any less valuable. Besides, it was the interpretations of those early maps that made us able to recognize the power of our cars much quicker. There is also a large group of people that will never feel comfortable tuning their own vehicle.
I would add that we were tuning Evos for 3 plus years with Tech Tom equipment before open ecu came out for evos

Thats a long period of time to wait to get your car tuned

I would say that most don't mind paying to get my cars properly tuned as the joy of having a good running car and not blowing up your motor is well worth it

AL
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:54 AM
Account Disabled

^Agreed. I license fee is not the worst thing to pay if it means it was developed by skilled engineers.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 01:34 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
^Agreed. I license fee is not the worst thing to pay if it means it was developed by skilled engineers.
Whether its Cobb or Ecutek they have numerous highly educated and skilled individuals who are working to deliver a fully supported product

A lot of people are spoiled by the free ecu flash, but with most ecu platforms it is the pay to play companies which usually are the first to come out with tuning tools. This is becuase revenue is needed to pay people to work full time on a project and get it done quickly.

While so called "open source" tuning has been available for Subarus for longer than it has on Evos, I never use it professionally on my customer's car as the offerings from Ecutek and Cobb are vastly superior to the free applications.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also argue that a person that waits will end up with a better over all car then the guy that is the early adopter. Not only will he be able to do it for, sometimes, thousands less, but he will be able to reach the fully maximized level of performance much quicker, and safer, then those that go before. This is the life of living on the bleeding edge though. Products will always be improved, become more efficient, cost less to produce, and run more reliably.

My experiences have definitely taught me that the rewards are much greater for those that are patient.

Last edited by PDXEvo; Feb 8, 2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
I would also argue that a person that waits will end up with a better over all car then the guy that is the early adopter. Not only will he be able to do it for, sometimes, thousands less, but he will be able to reach the fully maximized level of performance much quicker, and safer, then those that go before. This is the life of living on the bleeding edge though. Products will always be improved, become more efficient, cost less to produce, and run more reliably.

My experiences have definitely taught me that the rewards are much greater for those that are patient.
You are a very wise man That has been my experience in life as well. I waited for my 05 Evo until Aug of 05 and was rewarded with 0% financing and invoice pricing. I was forced to trade my 05 on an 06 in April of 07 and got the car well below invoice pricing.

My biggest mistake was getting the XEDE. Never, Ever again would I get a piggyback if a flash is available.

I would urge all those who bought an Evo X to wait for Ecuflash to come out for the X. When Ecuflash came on the market in May of 2006 all other forms of tuning DIED. The most vibrant tuning form on Evom is ECUflash, hands down. All the piggybacks went the way of the Dodo bird and ECUtek stopped developing stuff for the 8 and 9.

If history is any indication, the same thing will happen again with the X.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:49 PM
Account Disabled

^Your all right. Good advice.

Quick Reply: How long to hack the X ecu?