Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How long to hack the X ecu?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SORRY, i thought it was open source. my mistake. guess i won't be able to donate my time even if i want to...

EDIT: No wonder I thought it was open source...weird they would mis-represent their project like that

Last edited by machron1; Feb 27, 2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 05:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by codgi
ECUFlash is not open source. I've noticed a bunch of people on this thread confuse free software and open source. This comment isn't directly at you, but just saying it in general: they are two completely different (but often related) things.

I won't go as far as to say the commercial software isn't keeping up. As late as cobb was to the scene they still brought features that aren't going to be easy to emulate with the open source efforts on this forum and others. Furthermore, in a lot of ways it is more that the open source effort is now catching up to some of the "pro" offerings out there. Works had their little hardware based boost control for years before the ECUFlash forum here starting playing with boost pills and the WGDC tables.

There also have been several companies and some private individuals that have hired software engineers to go and pull a bunch of extra tables out of the roms. Tables that as of yet don't seem to have turned up here or over on acktivematrix. Its been kept hush, hush for obvious reasons but the rabbit hole is a bit deeper than we may have been lead to think .
ok, fair enough to say that the ECUFlash program is not open source, but its been a key tool in enabling the open source tuning/modification effort that exists. Always interesting to hear about other tables being dredged up. I agree that there were many tuning features available from the "pros" before the open source effort, but that wasn't my point.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 08:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
ok, fair enough to say that the ECUFlash program is not open source, but its been a key tool in enabling the open source tuning/modification effort that exists. .

Its really rather simple - the "source" code of the program has not been disclosed - shared by the creator - therefore its NOT "open source"

Its a "free" application which is bundled with a product 'cable' that you have to buy.

Al
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I never noticed that you couldnt get the source code before. I know you can, however, get several of the components that derive this software. Its also under GDL, but not GPL.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Its really rather simple - the "source" code of the program has not been disclosed - shared by the creator - therefore its NOT "open source"

Its a "free" application which is bundled with a product 'cable' that you have to buy.

Al
That's what I said. I consider the open source aspect to be the community effort to better understand how to effectively tune the Evo and understand how the ECU works.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
ok, fair enough to say that the ECUFlash program is not open source, but its been a key tool in enabling the open source tuning/modification effort that exists. Always interesting to hear about other tables being dredged up. I agree that there were many tuning features available from the "pros" before the open source effort, but that wasn't my point.
Understood but just saying that if they really wanted to keep up they could. And ridiculously easly to. The problem is that in the long run it is not cost effective. Especially since customers aren't going to want to pay what it costs to maintain pro software engineers full time (what a big chunk of the cost of the software would end up coming from). And definitely not with a free alternative out there.

For the X the pro companies will come in the early and make their money until the free stuff catches up. Then they will be off to the next platform.

On the same open source topic. Its a bit of clever marketing that has gone on with it. And ECUFlash isn't the only one that does it. I can think of several "open source" companies that give away software for free to home users, never share their code but charge through the nose to their corporate customers .

What was nice about the design of ECUFlash was because it used xml it's easy to extend after the fact. So as new discoveries are made a change to some xml and you are you good to go.

But there are several places, most notable jcsbanks' work where if this was truly open source then a lot more progress could have made.

Last edited by codgi; Feb 28, 2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 02:50 AM

FIRST I DID SEARCH but I may have missed it.. OOO and good job on the software. BUT are we going to be able to use our old cables on the x? Just wondering.. IF I asked or missteared this thread MY BAD. really sorry.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by qubrt
FIRST I DID SEARCH but I may have missed it.. OOO and good job on the software. BUT are we going to be able to use our old cables on the x? Just wondering.. IF I asked or missteared this thread MY BAD. really sorry.
At best you would probably be able to use them just for logging purposes (some people seem to have been able to get that to work). Flashing isn't going to work for sure.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Not only does the freeware give us the opportunity to tinker with our ecus, but ecuflash (xml based) gives the opportunity to have people that are so interested the means whereby to further the capability of the software and knowledge of the ECU code.

With Techtom and Ecutek besides paying a heflty fee, you are pretty much at the mercy of their engineers and the pro tuners.

I don' t think anyone (pros and amateurs) would argue that the EVO tuning world is a MUCH better place with ecuflash than the dark ages of Techtom (DOS ugh!) and Ecutek. How many tunes did the pros have to do to break even after purchasing a TechTom license??? Which is a better tool, EcuFlash or TechTom? Answer -- EcuFlash.

And for the pros who feel that their livelyhood has been taken away, there will always be a place for the pros who give a good product and good customer serivce. Many evo owners do not want to take the time to learn how to tune. It reminds me of the world of stocks. Do you want a full service broker who will tell you what to buy or do you want to make your own decisions. There is room in this world for both! Many full service brokers thought the world would come to an end when the discount brokerages started...

And yes I do get the cost of paying for the software engineers. I am in the "biz" myself...

Last edited by chmodlf; Feb 29, 2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Last I heard, the VW guys were still having trouble with tuning for the R32 transmission ... the Evo X MR transmission is very similar, so you can expect that to be quite a battle for tuning.
Anybody have any links to info on this topic of having to hack the DSG ECU in order to properly tune the engine ECU? I searched a couple of forum and did a G-search and came up with very little. Is it just a matter of not hitting torque limit which is X% over stock?

Edit: N/m, another thread in the tech section deals with this and says that the DSG and the SST tranny ecu's both have to be hacked or there is no leeway for mods. Not even within a certain percent. That is just ridiculous if you can't even put an intake on without triggering limp mode.

Last edited by desperado-c; Mar 16, 2008 at 07:20 PM.