Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

PERRIN Tunes the X.......50whp!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be interested in seeing how much whp a stock IX makes on that same dyno for comparison...
Old Mar 25, 2008, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Jeff
Cost is something we are working, and will finalize very shortly. But expect less than $600 for sure.
Just to be clear...

This estimate of sub-$600 territory is for the tuning device and your "EBCS 3 port solenoid", correct?

Also, maybe you could discuss with us how easy this system will be to remove from, and then add again to, the car. My dealership gave me free oil changes for two years, and I've learned that the easiest way to have your short-block replaced for free is to have it on record that the dealer sees you every 3k miles.

I was quite unlucky with my IX MR in that I received a car with an egg-shaped piston. At 14k miles things started to get interesting. The dealer fought and fought Mitsu to get me a new short-block for free....and they did eventually get it. Since then, I love warrantees. See my point?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

I want to be sure of something. The Unichip tune did not like the cone filter or the MBC, but they are dyno proven 45hp on the X. So, when people want to tune their X with normal supporting mods, are they losing out on an additional 45hp?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

I can honestly say that the 4B11T is unexpectedly impressing me. I admit that I am kind of a IX bigot (see my sig), but I am really impressed. How well do you think the block will hold up under higher boost and a leaner mixture?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
Well then you shouldn't say it holds 23 psi at redline.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to make sure it's clearer to people.

Either way, nice gains and nice experiment with the unichip.
I see where i said that!! Its all fixed

Originally Posted by TearItUpSports
I think this pretty much backs up the belief that a lot of the bolt ons power gains are really coming from the A/F ratio getting better. Good tuning can have much of the same results.
I would agree with this on the cone filters for sure. I still think there is gains to be had with exhaust systems, especially down low. But we will see very soon!

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
so the unichip is a piggyback?
Yes, it is. At first this may not sound so good, but it does work, and it works very well. Because we only have to tap into a few sensors we don't have to fool too many signals. Also since we are controlling boost with it, its one less thing the ECU could throw a code over.

Originally Posted by Kdogg71
That's what it sounds like. They even admit that some folks don't like this, but I for one would like a solution I can remove before going in for warranty work.
This is one of the benefits of it. One of the biggest benifits is NOW. Its something that we could be shipping to customers tomorrow if we wanted. While ECU flashes are a ways away, the UNICHIP is a great way to get some untapped power from your EVO. In the end, both a Unichip and an AccessPORT can make the same power.

We are looking for a few guys interested in the Unichip to do some testing. We would prefer guys with 92 or better octane. Let us know! If you are local we would be willing to install and dyno the car also.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:39 AM

This is one of the benefits of it. One of the biggest benifits is NOW. Its something that we could be shipping to customers tomorrow if we wanted. While ECU flashes are a ways away, the UNICHIP is a great way to get some untapped power from your EVO. In the end, both a Unichip and an AccessPORT can make the same power.

We are looking for a few guys interested in the Unichip to do some testing. We would prefer guys with 92 or better octane. Let us know! If you are local we would be willing to install and dyno the car also.
I'm at 6032 feet (Colorado) with 91oct...That's kinda like 93oct at sea level.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
I would be interested in seeing how much whp a stock IX makes on that same dyno for comparison...

This is in our post also. Sorry if i didn't make that clear enough.

Just to be clear...

This estimate of sub-$600 territory is for the tuning device and your "EBCS 3 port solenoid", correct?

Also, maybe you could discuss with us how easy this system will be to remove from, and then add again to, the car. My dealership gave me free oil changes for two years, and I've learned that the easiest way to have your short-block replaced for free is to have it on record that the dealer sees you every 3k miles.

I was quite unlucky with my IX MR in that I received a car with an egg-shaped piston. At 14k miles things started to get interesting. The dealer fought and fought Mitsu to get me a new short-block for free....and they did eventually get it. Since then, I love warrantees. See my point?
Bingo! $600 or less is our target and we should make this more solid next week.
Because this is going to be a hardwire kit, it will be pretty easy to remove if you use our included connectors. But if you choose to solder it in (better method) then it will make for un-installing a little slower. None the less, it comes down to how and where it is installed.

Originally Posted by beastlytalon
I want to be sure of something. The Unichip tune did not like the cone filter or the MBC, but they are dyno proven 45hp on the X. So, when people want to tune their X with normal supporting mods, are they losing out on an additional 45hp?
Well its not that the Unichip didn't like it, but it caused the MAF sensor readings to change, which caused fluctuations in power. Essentially it can be retuned, and made to work, but with alot of effort. The graphs we showed:

The yellow line is still running 23psi of boost, and its only a little richer. (which was after alot of tuning runs getting the AFR close) Its down on power so it shows that it needs more timing or something to get that power back. Basically, the 2 maps (before and after filter) are so different that its not worth saying its a safe mod on a tuned ECU car. This should also hold true when reflashes come out.

I think on a stock tuned ECU, its probably ok, as it does lean it out a little, but still i would be a little concerned. We will do some testing on this later next week with the stock ECU tune.

Originally Posted by RoBear
I can honestly say that the 4B11T is unexpectedly impressing me. I admit that I am kind of a IX bigot (see my sig), but I am really impressed. How well do you think the block will hold up under higher boost and a leaner mixture?
All you Iron block guys are way too worried about the new engine. Just looking at how its built (maybe over built) i wouldn't worry at all. It should make 400WHP with no issues, and maybe even more. But time will tell. As more people push these cars, the more people will start to find its flaws. I think that the pistons that are installed in them are good to 500 engine HP. We will just have to wait and see!
Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm at 6032 feet (Colorado) with 91oct...That's kinda like 93oct at sea level.
Almost! When we get closer to offering it to all areas of the country and all gas levels, we will let you know.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the clarification, you guys will figure it out anyhow and the X will be a freaking beast. 400hp DD without cams, meth, or big turbo (hopefully) here we come! I think I will need to sell the wife's Pacifica. Really what does she need it for?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will Unichip be a plug a play solution or require soldering?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by R0ME0
Will Unichip be a plug a play solution or require soldering?
He answered that a couple posts up... They will provide connectors, but he specifies that soldering is better.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:39 AM

Almost! When we get closer to offering it to all areas of the country and all gas levels, we will let you know.
I guess you can't blame a guy for trying...
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
So most importantly;

How do I buy this service?

Does this work on the X MR ECU?

When will this be widely available?

One really awesome benefit to the Unichip is it can work on any car. So at worst, we would have to change the wiring and pin outs.
I'm not really sure how you can make that statement when you haven't even installed it on a X MR and it has been repeatedly posted that the transmission ECU will require tuning to even allow mods to be installed on the X MR in the first place. Yeah, it may work on the X MR ECU but since the ECU works in conjunction with the Tranny ECU, I think there is a lot more to it then changing wiring & pin outs...

Last edited by Faust; Mar 25, 2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:55 AM
Account Disabled

^Amen to that.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wish it was plug and play like the beemers get on theirs would be a lot better solution.

Quick Reply: PERRIN Tunes the X.......50whp!!!