Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

PERRIN Tunes the X.......50whp!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
The cone filter thing is interesting, as others have been shown to make gains on the X.

The MAF is sensitive, and on the Evo 8/9 certain filters mess with the MAF signal (the Apex'i seems to be one).

Could it be that the filter Perrin was using messed with the MAF signals while the filters others were employing don't?

I have seen people say "There are no gains to be had with 'X'," when down the line people show demonstrable gains where others said there weren't gains to be had.

Just trying to ask questions and not cause a stir
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Faust
I'm not really sure how you can make that statement when you haven't even installed it on a X MR and it has been repeatedly posted that the transmission ECU will require tuning to even allow mods to be installed on the X MR in the first place. Yeah, it may work on the X MR ECU but since the ECU works in conjunction with the Tranny ECU, I think there is a lot more to it then changing wiring & pin outs...
Well, actually the Unichip can work on any car. Its just what it takes to make work. For instance, we are tying into the crank sensor, MAP sensor, MAF sensor and TPS. The tranny ECU will still see these signals and still work. If you are implying (which may have been your point) that the Tranny ECU is like the GTR tranny ECU, where it looks at how fast the car accelerates,and if it sees too much acceleration that it throws a CEL , then EVERY one who mods the MR will have issues. But because the Unichip still outputs the same signals it will work for sure.

Even in a situation where the tranny shifts, the ECU cuts fuel, closes the throttle body, or whatever other magic things it does, the Unichip will still just be modding the signals. Which i can't see the TCU caring how much MAF flow there is. Because the Unichip is a piggyback, the stock ECU has no idea what is going on, so things should still work.

It may require different tuning, but i am very confident it will work. But you are correct, no one really knows for 100% sure what will happen. BTW, where the Hell are the MR's!

Originally Posted by Kdogg71
He answered that a couple posts up... They will provide connectors, but he specifies that soldering is better.
That is correct, and i think our connector solution is pretty good, and will make it easy to go back to stock if need be.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by R0ME0
wish it was plug and play like the beemers get on theirs would be a lot better solution.
Dude, seriously... It is plug and play. He said it, then I repeated it. He just also mentions that they feel soldering is a little better.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by R0ME0
wish it was plug and play like the beemers get on theirs would be a lot better solution.
If there was enough demand for it, Unichip would for sure do it. But this adds cost, and we feel that the added cost (especially when the AccessPORT comes out) will price it out of the market. Not to mention the time it will take to bring it to market. The beauty is NOW, we can do this right now!

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
The cone filter thing is interesting, as others have been shown to make gains on the X.

The MAF is sensitive, and on the Evo 8/9 certain filters mess with the MAF signal (the Apex'i seems to be one).

Could it be that the filter Perrin was using messed with the MAF signals while the filters others were employing don't?

I have seen people say "There are no gains to be had with 'X'," when down the line people show demonstrable gains where others said there weren't gains to be had.

Just trying to ask questions and not cause a stir
It could be our filter is screwing it up and another wouldn't. But my point is on a tuned car it will not work as it causes the car to run leaner and not consistent. This is something other tuners will also say when more options come out. We can definitely make maps specific to the filter, and as time passes we may do so. But our initial testing of the filter on our car shows that it is definitely changing MAF readings (in a bad way) and being that we are going to be offering these in staged setups, we will not make the filter part of the initial stages. Maybe once we get to the FMIC Stage 3 setup we may offer a "filter" map.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Dude, seriously... It is plug and play. He said it, then I repeated it. He just also mentions that they feel soldering is a little better.
Yes, but you will have to cut wires and install connectors. After this is done, to turn it back to stock, it will be simply unplugging and plugging back in.

Just want to make sure eveyone is clear that there is no PNP harness. It will have flying leads with connectors to make it as easy as possible.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Jeff
It could be our filter is screwing it up and another wouldn't. But my point is on a tuned car it will not work as it causes the car to run leaner and not consistent. This is something other tuners will also say when more options come out. We can definitely make maps specific to the filter, and as time passes we may do so. But our initial testing of the filter on our car shows that it is definitely changing MAF readings (in a bad way) and being that we are going to be offering these in staged setups, we will not make the filter part of the initial stages. Maybe once we get to the FMIC Stage 3 setup we may offer a "filter" map.
Drop-in filters have already shown to increase flow enough to have a noticable increase in power... Would a drop-in filter create the same negative changes to MAF readings?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:21 PM

Yes, but you will have to cut wires and install connectors. After this is done, to turn it back to stock, it will be simply unplugging and plugging back in.

Just want to make sure eveyone is clear that there is no PNP harness. It will have flying leads with connectors to make it as easy as possible.
That is more clear, thanks. It seems like one could find harnesses that will help us avoid cutting stock wiring.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the VIII, the answer to that question was no. I would think it would be the same for the X, since you are keeping the stock flow characteristics the same, just making it easier for those air particles to get through the filter. The big issue with cone filters, is they have no predictable air flow, and this causes a lot of turbulent air over the MAF. Ideally, a MAF curve would be somewhat linear, and consistent. This allows for easier, and reliable, tuning.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Pretty decent gains BUT................... Vishnu holds the record with 80 whp and 50 wtq gains on 91 oct on a mustang dyno with only a tune!!! Looks like everyone else has big shoes to fill.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor

That is more clear, thanks. It seems like one could find harnesses that will help us avoid cutting stock wiring.
Not cutting is nice, but its a cost and time issue. We are really trying to keep the cost as low as possible, so when the flashes are out, we might still sell a few as they will be a few hundered dollars less than the AccessPORT.

Originally Posted by NoTec
Pretty decent gains BUT................... Vishnu holds the record with 80 whp and 50 wtq gains on 91 oct on a mustang dyno with only a tune!!! Looks like everyone else has big shoes to fill.
You are correct, they are making more. Not that i am putting them down, but their baseline was done with 200 miles on the clock, and then it was tuned at 1000 miles. On our tests we ran the car with no chip then installed it then tuned in with in 10 miles and a day or so ( the day was driving it around on the chip working out bugs). Also this is our initial tune at 23psi peak. It will do more boost and we did make more power, but we felt this was a good start and it needed some more time beating it up. But we like to take it slow and before we go and install our Turbo back Exhaust we will do a further retuning and really push it.

A side note, it seems like everyone but us did base number with less than 300 miles on the clock. This could be why some are seeing low dyno numbers and some (not just us) are seeing higher numbers. Wheres the EVO X dyno sticky?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

can Unichip hold more than one tune? For my 350z, I have UTEC, and has two tunes for 91 oct and race gas.

Also, is the Unichip easy to hide and remove? So I can take my car to dealership for warranty and service.

Last edited by Jooyoung99; Mar 25, 2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

You are correct, they are making more. Not that i am putting them down, but their baseline was done with 200 miles on the clock, and then it was tuned at 1000 miles. On our tests we ran the car with no chip then installed it then tuned in with in 10 miles and a day or so ( the day was driving it around on the chip working out bugs). Also this is our initial tune at 23psi peak. It will do more boost and we did make more power, but we felt this was a good start and it needed some more time beating it up. But we like to take it slow and before we go and install our Turbo back Exhaust we will do a further retuning and really push it.

A side note, it seems like everyone but us did base number with less than 300 miles on the clock. This could be why some are seeing low dyno numbers and some (not just us) are seeing higher numbers. Wheres the EVO X dyno sticky?
Understandable. You are very correct. On a side note, every stock X dynod on a like dyno seems to dyno the same hp and tq. Buschur's X and Vishnu's X both did 215 whp on mustangs. AMS and Turbotrix both did about 235 whp on dynojets. AGP and Perrin both did about 260 whp on dynapack. Noise's X on a DynoDynamics was inline with the mustang as it should be. The highest stock whp X's seem to be the ones on Dynapacks. But that doesnt matter because everyone is listing a baseline and modified number to illustrate a change.

Good luck and thankyou for your efforts and information.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Good stuff to hear. Progress is what it's all about.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
can Unichip hold more than one tune? For my 350z, I have UTEC, and has two tunes for 91 oct and race gas.

Also, is the Unichip easy to hide and remove? So I can take my car to dealership for warranty and service.
First YES the kit will include an A/B map switch. So you can have PERRIN load two totally separate maps on the PnP ECU and then you can toggle them at anytime. There is also a BlueTooth module that works with nearly all BlueTooth enabled phones that allows up to 5 different maps to be toggled through your phone. Addl. cost will be about $125. But no extra charge for the A/B.

Second: YES. The included wiring instructions will detail how to attach the wires FAR back in the loom. Then we will also include addl. OEM style braided wire loom to hide any other taps you make should you choose to go back to stock. You can also wire it such that it would be VERY hard for a tech to even find it. But they would have to be looking for it. Which if you go in for an oil change, window regulator that quit or something they won't even be bothered by it.

More info in the coming days. Kits are being built RIGHT now for shipment late next week for a few select early adopters! If you are interested PM me or even better e-mail me at:

adam.taft@perrinperformance.com

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NoTec
Understandable. You are very correct. On a side note, every stock X dynod on a like dyno seems to dyno the same hp and tq. Buschur's X and Vishnu's X both did 215 whp on mustangs. AMS and Turbotrix both did about 235 whp on dynojets. AGP and Perrin both did about 260 whp on dynapack. Noise's X on a DynoDynamics was inline with the mustang as it should be. The highest stock whp X's seem to be the ones on Dynapacks. But that doesnt matter because everyone is listing a baseline and modified number to illustrate a change.

Good luck and thankyou for your efforts and information.
NAH Thank YOU Seriously, we appreciate the opportunity to clarify etc.

Thanks again!

Adam.Taft@perrinperformance.com

Quick Reply: PERRIN Tunes the X.......50whp!!!