Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Tuning with a TC-SST?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning with a TC-SST?

Hey everyone....newbie here.

Anyway, had a question. I see a lot of posts regarding engine tuning with a TC-SST and that the SST ECU would also need to be modified. Not quite sure I understand why.

I previously owned an E46 M3 with SMG and you could modify the car all day long without touching the SMG ECU. The only time you would run into problems is if you put a different rear end gear on, automatic mode wouldn't upshift in certain gears at wide open throttle......but I never used auto mode and if I was going WOT I surely would have switched back to manual mode.

I realize the SST/DSG/DCT transmission is a different animal from the SMG (which was the same gearbox as the 6 speed M3, with computer controlled clutch and shifting), but I'm still wondering why you would need to modify the SST ECU.

Can anyone shed some light or direct me to the thread discussing this. I'm considering an EVO X MR and your help would be appreciated.

BTW...I did do a search and didn't find much.

Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:30 AM

Hey there - we know a little about the BMW E46M3 SMG having tuned and raced a number of them. You may recognize us from the M3Forums.

Anyway, you answered your own question; the BMW SMG just computerizes the shifts of the same box as the manually shifted auto v the EvoX which utilizes an entirely different box from the manually shifted version. It is the box which appears inherently limited especially torquewise and thus has electronic controls to protect it from from having the motor exceeding its limits. The real question appears to be, how close are those actual limits to the limits Mitsu programmed into the software?. Contrary to some posting on here, this is NOT an automatic transmission but rather a specialized manual transmission offering an automatic LIKE mode if one is so inclined.

Dan Law
DERMS Racing
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by DER MotorSports
Hey there - we know a little about the BMW E46M3 SMG having tuned and raced a number of them. You may recognize us from the M3Forums.

Anyway, you answered your own question; the BMW SMG just computerizes the shifts of the same box as the manually shifted auto v the EvoX which utilizes an entirely different box from the manually shifted version. It is the box which appears inherently limited especially torquewise and thus has electronic controls to protect it from from having the motor exceeding its limits. The real question appears to be, how close are those actual limits to the limits Mitsu programmed into the software?. Contrary to some posting on here, this is NOT an automatic transmission but rather a specialized manual transmission offering an automatic LIKE mode if one is so inclined.

Dan Law
DERMS Racing
Hey Dan...yup, I recognize you from m3forums....

Yup, I know its not an automatic (no torque converter), but a DSG/DCT type of sequential manual. Thanks for the response. I guess I'll wait and see when some more tuners get their hands on the car before I worry too much about what modifications it can and can not handle modification wise.....

If someone can reliably get the thing to run consistent low 13/high 12 second 1/4 mile passes, I'll be happy.