Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

reflashing with the Amazing Ecutek Evo X Flash Can - 30 easy whp!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2008, 04:49 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
4 - I need more work to get around the MAF reading cel code which poped up again.
Can you share a little more about this? Was this initially a result of the intake before mapping started or just since tuning?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRAG
Can someone explain the pricing structure for EcuTek for those of us that haven't used it. It seems like I have to buy a license and then pay for a tune correct?

What if I just want to purchase the stuff to tune my own car? I have been tuning my own stuff for more than 10 years and I'm not real big on letting other people touch my stuff.

Thanks in advance. Sounds like promising news!
Anyone?

Kinda ironic that "Overachiever" was wanting more than the 30whp gain I think 30 is great!

Last edited by DRAG; Apr 16, 2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
I replied earlier to price structuring but it was deleted. Probably because I listed actual prices.

If you want to buy the software/hardware yourself you need to be a EcuTek dealer, purchase the software/hardware (thousands of dollars) and then also purchase a license (hundreds of dollars).

If you just want to get a tune using EcuTek from a EcuTek dealer/tuner then you pay whatever fee they offer, usually it's the license fee + whatever they charge for a tune.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRAG
Anyone?

Kinda of ironic that "Overachiever" was wanting more than the 30whp gain I think 30 is great!
I find it ironic that "drag" is happy with 30 whp when another less sophisticated tuning method yielded more than twice that.

dynoflash, im not trying to knock on your tune as i realize you have only had one day with it and that you are being conservative. I cant wait to hear about your success as you have more dyno time with the car. Good luck man. I think we both know that 30whp number will improve
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

It's been less then a day, some people are just retarded.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

I find it somewhat ironic that these tunes are being done on a car that has existing modifications. While I understand the logic, and the common goal of tuning plus modification is undeniable, it does eliminate any sort of comparison between the stock vs. reflash debate. I wish Al all of the luck in the world.

I do have just 1 thing to point out however...

I do not think that either the ECUtech or VISHNU's piggyback solution is really appropriate for the market for the long term. I know that both will get great results, but just as chips went the way of the buggy whip, so to will these methods.

If history has taught us anything it is that you can not "own" information (in this case the know how to be able to decript the ECU code) and profit from it in the long run.

I predict in 6 months there will be another tuning option that will be flashed through the car directly with no liscence fees, or hardware required.

Al, best of luck. I am excited that you will be the first to see what a little more boost and correct a/f ratio will yeild. Don't forget to mention that the 311 you started with was in part due to the leaning out of the a/f ration with parts that are unnecessary with the new tuning ability. Much success to you sir! :-)

Last edited by Mean TT; Apr 15, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mean TT
I find it somewhat ironic that these tunes are being done on a car that has existing modifications. While I understand the logic, and the common goal of tuning plus modification is undeniable, it does eliminate any sort of comparison between the stock vs. reflash debate. I wish Al all of the luck in the world.

I do not think that either the ECUtech or VISHNU's piggyback solution is really appropriate for the market for the long term. I know that both will get great results, but just as chips went the way of the buggy whip, so to will these methods.

If history has taught us anything it is that you can not "own" information (in this case the know how to be able to decript the ECU code) and profit from it in the long run.

I predict in 6 months there will be another tuning option that will be flashed through the car directly with no liscence fees, or hardware required.

Al, best of luck. I am excited that you will be the first to see what a little more boost and correct a/f ratio will yeild. Don't forget to mention that the 311 you started with was in part due to the leaning out of the a/f ration with parts that are unnecessary with the new tuning ability. Much success to you sir! :-)

So true, I know years ago you could plug in 20lb of bost and 12:1 afr and the car would target that area. I am sure with a more advanced ecu we will have this and better to come.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 01:37 PM

You guys are comparing apples to oranges:

Shivs car has full exhaust, no cats, boost controller, intake, and misc if I remember correctly;
dynoflash is working with a bone stock car, and probably haven't played around with boost setting too much yet.

Keep your expectations realistic and cut the man some slack.

Originally Posted by theoverachiever
Hmm im not sure, I guess I was hoping for numbers more in line with what shiv posted up. I wonder why there are no updates from him? Oh well his loss. Good luck with upping those numbers. I really want a reflash and I want it yesterday.
Originally Posted by theoverachiever
I find it ironic that "drag" is happy with 30 whp when another less sophisticated tuning method yielded more than twice that.

dynoflash, im not trying to knock on your tune as i realize you have only had one day with it and that you are being conservative. I cant wait to hear about your success as you have more dyno time with the car. Good luck man. I think we both know that 30whp number will improve
Old Apr 15, 2008, 01:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by freddiemac
dynoflash is working with a bone stock car, and probably haven't played around with boost setting too much yet.
I'm not arguing the gains, I think 30whp is pretty good for a stock car, however, just so people are clear, this is not a bone stock car:

A few points which I must make clear

The car we are using has the following mods

Buschur Intake
Buschur MBC set to 22 psi
Buschur upper fmic pipe
Old Apr 15, 2008, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you buy a tune whether it’s a ECU flash or a piggyback you are paying someone for their intellectual property, gained through trail and error. Do not confuse that with buying a cheap gadget which allow you to mess around with your own ECU.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 02:59 PM
Account Disabled

I dont "get" where you are comming from

On most cars e.g. VW - Audi - Porsche - BMW - Mercedes people buy reflashes from known vendors e.g. APR, Dinan, etc etc to make their cars run better and pick up easy whp

Why is it that in the Evo world everyone wants something for free and to own their ecu what ever that means and in all these other car brands the customers have no problem to pay for a service ?

The bottom line is that Ecutek took months and months of R & D and development all of which they financed in order to have a return on investment - is this not the American way?>

All I can say is thanks to them for making this wonderful tool so that the tuners can make the Evo Xun smoother, safer and make more power

AL
Old Apr 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by lowkey
When you buy a tune whether it’s a ECU flash or a piggyback you are paying someone for their intellectual property, gained through trail and error. Do not confuse that with buying a cheap gadget which allow you to mess around with your own ECU.
IF there was no cost associated with such products - no one would make them

The so called "open source" guy does not give away the cables - you buy them

Everyone has an angle on turning a profit

I am happy to pay for something which facilitates doing what I enjoy doing

To each his own
Old Apr 15, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

It cause everyone wants something for nothing and then expect to get good service in return. I am willing to pay to have good service. I am the guy that does not haggle but expects to be treated fairly and have good service from where I buy. Then there are the people that want to pay what you have in something or less and then expect all the good service too. My best customer are the ones that pay MSRP and I will always treat them that way and they will always talk good about me and be happy with their purchase. My worst customers are the ones that shop me for two weeks and then ask for all the extra stuff at delivery and I will never be able to make them happy no matter what I do. Then when ever something is not right they make a big deal about it and talk bad about you. But I have realized you have to take the good with the bad, although it seems like there is more bad.

Al good job with ECU so far. I am exicted to see what the next few days bring!

Last edited by scottatyamaha; Apr 15, 2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

I dont "get" where you are comming from

On most cars e.g. VW - Audi - Porsche - BMW - Mercedes people buy reflashes from known vendors e.g. APR, Dinan, etc etc to make their cars run better and pick up easy whp

Why is it that in the Evo world everyone wants something for free and to own their ecu what ever that means and in all these other car brands the customers have no problem to pay for a service ?

The bottom line is that Ecutek took months and months of R & D and development all of which they financed in order to have a return on investment - is this not the American way?>

All I can say is thanks to them for making this wonderful tool so that the tuners can make the Evo Xun smoother, safer and make more power

AL

Let me REITERATE:

Al, nice job being first in the market with this product. You have been a prolific servicer of the EVO community and I am sure you will continue to be.

I am only making the point that someone is paying for your skills, and experience. While an argument can certainly be made, and most would agree, that someone deserves compensation for decripting the ECU, those arguments weaken with time. The R&D has been put in, and 3 years from now, there will be many others who will do this same thing for less money. It is the market system at work. It is like saying that you need to buy a GLOVE to handle the BUGGY WHIP to drive the MULES, when the automobile had already been invented.

I will most likely be picking up an EVO X with 6 months and you will be the first person I contact to begin the process of extracting more power. I think that in the EVO community, where end user tunability is prized (rightly or wrongly), cost is an importnat factor, and the clientelle is well educated about other product offerings, this model will not be around in 2 years.

Time will tell, but I strongly believe that in a few years you will be utilizing another method for your services.

I am curious to get your opinion on one thing however. Initially we heard that the intakes were making power due to the ability to lean out the a/f ratio. Do you have any indication as the the power potential of these products as a standalone item when both subject cars are equally well tuned? I know that you have close relationships with many people in the community so I don't want to put you in a bad position - but I believe it was buscher who said that intaked on the IX were pointless until very high levels of powere were being made.

Thanks for your assistance!
Old Apr 15, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by freddiemac
You guys are comparing apples to oranges:

Shivs car has full exhaust, no cats, boost controller, intake, and misc if I remember correctly;

Keep your expectations realistic and cut the man some slack.
You sir are remembering incorrectly. It is entirely an apples to apples comparison. Vishnu extracted a minimum of 70 whp and 50 wtq on a mustang dyno. His Evo X was kind of young at the time of original baseline though but BONE STOCK before and after the tune. But 70 hp and 50 tq to the wheels on a mustang dyno is nothing to sneeze at and surely a BENCHMARK that will NOT be eclipsed on a stock Evo X anytime soon.

Although the comparing tunes from different tuners thing is in this thread, it should fire up a bit of competitiveness and old school rivalry. The type of threads that were common and wickedly exciting back in 2004 and 2005. Good luck.

Quick Reply: reflashing with the Amazing Ecutek Evo X Flash Can - 30 easy whp!