Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Dyno4mance EcuTeK tuning on Noize's car. Results inside

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question : where did they tap for AFR?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 05:07 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Sky Evo X
Great power with catback only. How much boost up top do you think
you can hold once you figure out the ECU Boost control?
No idea, friend. Hopefully we might have time to try it today. I hogged the dyno all day yesterday, so I am unsure if we will be able to get back up there.

Originally Posted by Paikman GTR
Question : where did they tap for AFR?
The Dyno Dynamics gas analyzer goes into the tailpipe. We've done several hundred catted and catless cars like this with good results.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Todays Update:

We are going to map Noize's car again today using ecu boost control.

One thing for everyone to keep in mind is the the 8 & 9 had a different load calc for boost control than it did for fuel and timing. As a result, boost would not be consistent across season changes if you relied on ecu boost control without a modified rom.

Sit tight, we will have some results in a few hours, but may not be able to post up until this evening as we have a full day on the dyno today.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

^ Great, will be checking back to this thread every hour....lol
Old Apr 26, 2008, 07:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
Todays Update:

We are going to map Noize's car again today using ecu boost control.

One thing for everyone to keep in mind is the the 8 & 9 had a different load calc for boost control than it did for fuel and timing. As a result, boost would not be consistent across season changes if you relied on ecu boost control without a modified rom.

Has ECUTek supplied any info on whether the X programming is the same way?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Has ECUTek supplied any info on whether the X programming is the same way?
Not yet, but then I have not asked yet either

Noize's car is now running on ecu only boost control, no bleed pills, no changes to restrictors, 100% stock boost control setup tuned with EcuTek FlashCan Evo. He is out test driving it now. Power is the same as it was on the mbc. Hope is to avoid the P1235 code by using the stock boost control and not hitting full boost at part throttle....

He just walked back in the door, no cel codes this time out.

I still want to burn this in a bit and see how consitent the boost is with changes in weather.

For all the hold more boost up top folks... sorry to say the stock solenoids are maxed out both at 100% from 5500 and up, still have the same tapper as we did on the mbc. There is still room left down low to fatten up the boost curve but not up top. A bleed could be used for a little more head room, but I just don't see much point in it and won't know if there is more power to be had till we try out a bleed setup.

I'll have Noize post up his graphs and a review, right now I gotta get back on the dyno
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Adding a bleeder and/or pill mods should provide more adjustability. It definitely makes all the difference in the world on 8/9s as you know. Just have to watch the boost overshoot. Should definitely bug ECUTek to unearth more control parameters. For what they charge, they should be bending over backwards to provide anything you ask for. :-)
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:49 AM
EvoM Administrator

Here it is with ECU boost control. Still super repeatable. It made 0.5 more HP.

Out to drive again to see if I can throw a CEL. Be back in a moment...
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:19 AM
EvoM Administrator

OK, back.

I really like ECU boost control! The P1235 CEL is gone and I can't make it come back, because Bruce made use of the stock boost control table, so there is less partial throttle boost. No more of this shooting to 22psi at 40% throttle crap. Need more power? Push your right foot further down!

I know I've been around here and helped out as I could since the beginning, but I love Dyno4mance and can't sing enough praises about Andrew and Bruce.

This flash really transforms the entire persona of the car, and it now makes enough power to accomodate its brilliant chassis. For a great tune like this, $750 seems a steal. Better yet, the first tune is only that price because of the licensing fee. I'm told that tunes for the life of the car with new mods and touch ups after that once you have the license will cost substantially less.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
Well, we've been at it custom tuning the car since around 10:00am this morning.

The car came in as it was the last time, with the Hallman MBC and the Works drop in filter. This time, the car also with the Ultimate Racing exhaust installed.

Some other tuners have mentioned that cars were breaking up when warm, and this supported that, coming off a 150 mile trip to get here, about half hour to rest, and right up on the dyno.

Here are three different graphs to look at:
-Run #2 was the car as it was stock. It is the dark red run.
-Run #22 is the blue run. It was how the car looked when it came in today with no tuning, but the MBC, exhaust, and drop in filter in place
-Run #45 is the tuned run.

If you have a good memory, you'll notice that the run #22 is a bit down from the last time the car was at the shop. We attribute that to heat, and the crazy rich factory mapping.

For point of reference, a stock VIII makes around 205whp on this dyno. A stock IX makes about 220whp on this dyno.

hmmm, we had a dyno day not to long ago at FourStar Motorsports (Dyno Dynamics) and Ted's stock GSR + confilter made I think 260 Ft Lb TQ. let me look around to see if I can find his sheet. I know he is going to do some EcuTek Tuning over there in the comming weeks.

Just curious what level of Octane are you using in your car?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

I think I would go for the tune using the stock boost control, I like the idea of having less things to worry about and not having to swap out parts. Great results and no code! Congrats'
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:34 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by evo_soul
hmmm, we had a dyno day not to long ago at FourStar Motorsports (Dyno Dynamics) and Ted's stock GSR + confilter made I think 260 Ft Lb TQ. let me look around to see if I can find his sheet. I know he is going to do some EcuTek Tuning over there in the comming weeks.

Just curious what level of Octane are you using in your car?
93 octane.
By the way, the shop you are talking about is likely using a correction factor to reflect something more like a Dynojet. They don't compare. No stock X with a cone filter will make anywhere near 260wtq here, I promise.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor

found it
Teds Dyno session when well and I was pretty impressed with the TQ figures. But the EVO X GSR we got from mitsubishi had low octane so it took a 20 to 40 hp and TQ hit. and the distinct light blue smoke out the back was a smoking gun.

Just thought I would ask if the owner who submitted the car had the top end of octane in it. With the price of gas these days I wouldnt be surprised , its bringing everyone to their knees
I am not sure about the correction factor, but I have had access to a dyno jet because I have had CVT testing going on and the difference regardless of cars the proportional difference was there between the Dyno Jet and the Dyno Dynamics is definately there (*cars 2wd). Second there was a WRX guy there that was pretty pissed because his sourced ECU tuning under performed the EVO X. I think I have the video of the upset. We tested alot of cars that day RSX's and the 08 Lancers CVT's performed inline with similar posted results on other sites. All the cars tested will be posted. I will get back to Frank to look into the correction factors just to be sure. Cheers

Last edited by evo_soul; Apr 26, 2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Noize
93 octane.
By the way, the shop you are talking about is likely using a correction factor to reflect something more like a Dynojet. They don't compare. No stock X with a cone filter will make anywhere near 260wtq here, I promise.
and ya I think that filter does nothing. But he clings to it as a saving grace. either way the EVO X is an impressive car with lots of potential
Old Apr 26, 2008, 02:10 PM
Account Disabled

Great work! Props to Noize and Dyno4 for keeping us updated.

For all the hold more boost up top folks... sorry to say the stock solenoids are maxed out both at 100% from 5500 and up, still have the same tapper as we did on the mbc. There is still room left down low to fatten up the boost curve but not up top. A bleed could be used for a little more head room, but I just don't see much point in it and won't know if there is more power to be had till we try out a bleed setup.

I'll have Noize post up his graphs and a review, right now I gotta get back on the dyno
What about a closed loop EBC like the AVCR? They do great jobs at holding boost in the most cars that taper with MBCs.

Quick Reply: Dyno4mance EcuTeK tuning on Noize's car. Results inside