Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Another Evo X Tune with some data

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
Mitch,

have you tuned an 07 sti?

we see 110% IDC on those, but i target richer, and i get richer actual afr...

ive always thought that its because they changed scaling (on same size injectors as previous) to change tip in response etc.... and therefor the calculation on IDC's may be off...

not sure, maybe im just retarded...

what are your thoughts...

Cant wait for X software... we have some CBRD parts ready to go for the X when we can tune them...

cb
Hey Chad,

Yes I have tuned a lot of 2007 Sti's and I do get the same thing. On those cars I see a high IDC as well, but only to a point. I don't run that much boost in them only to around 17-18 psi again due to the bad gas and heat.

I think that the calculation that is used for the STI is actually pretty close. I have seen some that get a high IDC but dont lean out, BUT between shifts does cause a very lean misfire. ( Which is really really bad for them with the weak pistons)

I would think that the overall calculation should not be that hard to figure out based on an injector duty vs ms maybe versus latency. I would like to see the injector sheet at different voltages and different fuel pressures. It is strange for sure because the BSFC should be pretty low considering the pretty high VE of the motor but it seems to be otherwise. Or some component in the fuel system is just lacking. Hard to say at this point but I do know that the fuel pump made a big difference for sure.

Also Chad I would KILL for 94 let alone 93 lol. I guess you dont know what you got until its gone lol.

We only have 90 octane up here in Alaska. On that note...Mitch say if I ordered the mail-in flash, would it be very mild? Keep in mind our temps up here never get higher than 75 F in the summer, and averages 20-30 F in the winter. Thanks.
The tune would be mild but very safe. You will pick up power as well as a more consistant state of running. These ECU's are starting get pretty adaptive but the ignition control is pretty cool.

Is the car knocking down low or up high? What kind of boost are you running? If your not pushing the car boost wise you'll be able to run more timing than it will normally take. What does the X run for coolant temps.
Dan the car picked up a bit of knock but early in the throttle. Really from about 2500-4500 it knocked to the tune of 1-2 counts. The problem is the way the ignition control works even a little bit of knock it starts to trim out timing off of the low octane map, thus decreasing the ignition advance even with a bit of knock.

The other thing I forgot to talk about is the MIVEC in this car. I did some playing around with it and it really helped spool. As soon as I get back to the shop I will post spool comparison. I need more time with it but I think there is a good amount to be gained with the MIVEC timing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone,

Mitch M
Old May 19, 2008, 10:39 PM
Account Disabled

I always suggest a walbro 342 pump on STI's - that may help with IDC
Originally Posted by CBRD
Mitch,

have you tuned an 07 sti?

we see 110% IDC on those, but i target richer, and i get richer actual afr...

ive always thought that its because they changed scaling (on same size injectors as previous) to change tip in response etc.... and therefor the calculation on IDC's may be off...

not sure, maybe im just retarded...

what are your thoughts...

Cant wait for X software... we have some CBRD parts ready to go for the X when we can tune them...

cb
Old May 20, 2008, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

dan l.....nice posts
Old May 20, 2008, 09:59 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I always suggest a walbro 342 pump on STI's - that may help with IDC
Al,

yeah we do pumps on almost everything... anytime we tune... but see some weird stuff with 07's....

i hate to admit it, but i dont care for the subies... but, we still work on them... evo's spoil you

cb
Old May 22, 2008, 03:37 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DRAG
dan l.....nice posts
As you probably know cylinder heads by themself don't usually make a lot of power. Its what the cylinder head allows you do to when tuning that makes the power. It really chaps my *** when people quote cylinder head peak flow numbers at maximum lift when a cylinder head is dynamic flow device. While we are at it I guess we can all get comfortable quoting static compression ratios!
Old May 29, 2008, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

great info as always mitch.