Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

More EVOX hYdra EMS info!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:21 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More EVOX hYdra EMS info!

Figured it would be best to start a new thread for all those that were posting in the other Hydra info thread or PMing us for more info.

Just got off the phone with the guys at Hydra and the PeakBoost EVOX is fully functional and running on the Hydra EMS in parallel with the factory ECU.

Update:
The installation of this prototype was a custom wire in parallel to the factory ecu. This allowed the Hydra engineering staff the opportunity to determine whether they will need to develop a parallel installation kit or full plug-n-play standalone system with full CAN interface.

With the prototype system fully installed and functional on our car, they were able to conclude that the best option for the market would be a FULL CAN CAPABLE PLUG-N-PLAY hYdra ECU.

http://www.hydraems.com

Pricing:
With the addition of the CAN interface, 4.5bar MAP sensor and all PLUG-N-PLAY harnessing, they are looking at a retail of only $2999 with the option of the Bosch L2H2 wideband.

Please post up your interest, questions or concerns as the guys at hYdra would like to hear your feedback

-Ken Peak
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

So does this mean it's a stand alone, or is it still in parallel? It sounds like it's a standalone system redesigned for the CAN interface.

I personally would prefer a plug and play parallel system for a lower price point, which would allow the ECU to keep the cruise control and emissions testing diagnostics.

Do they know how it should inferface with the SAWC system?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting.. I knew alot of other companies would be on top of the X since AEM has abandoned the X.. Haltech is coming out with the Platinum Ecu plug and play also.. cant wait to see some Evo X's with turbo kits and standalones put to the test!! Good luck!!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

well that sounds great BUT, what about inspection machines that need to plug into the car to check for CEL's??? I'd rather it be parallel
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:02 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evostang
So does this mean it's a stand alone, or is it still in parallel? It sounds like it's a standalone system redesigned for the CAN interface.

I personally would prefer a plug and play parallel system for a lower price point, which would allow the ECU to keep the cruise control and emissions testing diagnostics.

Do they know how it should inferface with the SAWC system?
Our car will be in parallel with the factory ecu.

However, from their findings in running the parallel setup, they would rather offer a full standalone redesigned for the CAN interface.

I also would've expected a lower price point on a parallel system as well. But, the fact of the matter is it meens more wiring and more plastic injection molded parts... = more $
I made sure to go over this with Andrew, but in the end the standalone is what they are looking to offer to the market if the desire is shown.

The SAWC is a seperate control altogether.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:55 AM

i know on other cars (subaru) when using hydra you lose cruise control. or you did at some point... maybe it was added back? will this feature still be missing on the x?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

I think they are pricing themselves out of the market. They are offering similar parallel systems for $1850, copied below. I understand plastic injection tooling may be expensive, but that $1149 price difference seems a whole lot more than the cost they need to amortize. I'm not interested at $3k.

Thanks for the info though.

http://www.hydraems.com/nemesis/applications.html
-------------
*** The factory ECU will retain control of the "CAN" functions such as the dash and the climate control, as well as drive-by-wire throttle.
*** The Hydra ECU will have full control of all other engine parameters including the variable cam.

Toyota Price: $1850

05-06 Scion TC
07 Scion TC
03-05 Celica/MR-2
06-07 Matrix/Corolla
----------------------
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:59 AM

agreed. when custom ecutek flashes are going for 600-750 the majority of the market will be going with that. 3k for any kind of engine management is getting really high for 90% of the market.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, I was figuring $1500-$2000 would be reasonable. Even though it's higher cost than an Ecutek flash, it does come with alot of hardware and a software interface and is user programmable. I've run aftermarket EFI systems in the past and I see the value in a fully functional system, but $3k, that's a bit high. Especially when I lose functionality (cruise control and emissions testing) when installed as a stand alone.

If they are really considering $3k it better have alot more bells and whistles than what thier current product offers.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:16 AM

What happened to the good old days of systems similar to the DSMLink. Something cheap and decently adjustable. I feel a good portion of the market doesn't need or have the know how to fully take advantage of a full stand alone system like the EMS or like the Hydra seems to be heading to. It seems to me like the large portion of the market is looking for something piggyback between $600-$1200 that lets you handle your own ignition timing, fuel ratios and maybe has support for speed density or additional injectors. Simple. Of course this is my own humble opinion.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

well retail is 2999$ so I'd imagine it would be in low 2000's
Old Aug 13, 2008, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

dang.. do I get Volks or Hydra! Crap!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by meat_EVO
dang.. do I get Volks or Hydra! Crap!
both! you know how it goes....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't expect everyone would need one of these to reach their goals.

However, with the backup maps, antilag mapping, full Mivec control, 5bar map sensor (NO MAF), internal boost control, datalogging, and full CAN interface, I think this is a very cost effective complete tuning solution.

the functionality of this ECU is more on par with something in the 15k range.

also, keep in mind that the EVOX development is still in the infancy stages and this ECU is ~6months from release.

just booked the flight. picking our X up Saturday and making the 12+hr drive back down the coast on the prototype ECU.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 09:24 AM
Account Disabled

man the PCH is a nice drive!

if you get a chance, do it, but be very careful.

just makes the drive from the bay to phoenix sooo much longer.

on the way up I drove it by myself, woke up at 2am, cannonball run style and made it in just under 12hrs(10 to the 210 to 5).

to pick the car up, my girlfriend and I flew in to Oakland where Andrew dropped the car off to us in the arrivals lane and after a quick headsup hopped in the mini cooper with his wife.

we thought, we don't get much vacation, let's take the PCH down the coast, then hit the I-10 back home. aka-scenic route.
super fun drive, endless ferrari's, masi's, a TT lambo, and some various hotrods.

but the 35mph speed limit on most of the cliffs added about 3 hrs to the return drive damn pullouts and sightseers...

the car drove like factory the entire way, you wouldn't even think that it had an EMS in it...

now it's time to add some PeakBoost parts and make some power!

-Ken
Old Sep 9, 2008, 09:33 PM
Account Disabled

another Hydra EMS going in this one-

Quick Reply: More EVOX hYdra EMS info!