Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Can Mitsu track ECU changes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimm
If I were to do a tune, I would do a piggy back. The ECU does not change and you can pull it off when you take it in.
you can still tell you had something there. AND YES they can tell if you have been flashed, we had some engineers here a couple of weeks ago for 1 with a problem and that was the 1st thing they checked. they also showed us how to check ourselves.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

That is not the news I wanted to hear. So you can tell even if a piggy back was installed?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

OF COURSE. They look for any place where wires were tapped in.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like MITSU techs should think about jobs with CSI.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

lol.... i highly doubt they check unless you really messed your drivetrain realllyyy bad. or on the other hand they could check before they even see whats wrong with your car.. who knows really.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weneversleep
Hi shyong--it's weneversleep who posted this over on that other forum.

I wasn't purposely "making **** up", and I'm glad you asked the experts here.

Is there a consensus? I'd like to know as well, because if I could get a conservative tune that would improve fuel economy, I might be interested.

--michael

Still waiting on one of the tuners to chime in.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:09 PM
Account Disabled

The Calibration Verification Number (CVN) and Cal ID requests can determine if an ECU's software is currently modified. The CVN is a CARB-mandated item computed during the ECU's operation (it's not directly hard-coded). If an ECU is flashed back to stock, the CVN and Cal IDs are once again as expected. We don't recommend faking those numbers.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:04 PM

^^wow...

well if you wanted to do a piggy back without tapping the wiring harness you could just buy a harness extension and tap into that....that way you save your ECU and your wiring harness.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

some one tune, breake and flash to stock,. see what they say.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

^ I would ditch your sig saying your racing on the streets. You cant exaclty go to a track and race from a roll
Old Oct 4, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
^ I would ditch your sig saying your racing on the streets. You cant exaclty go to a track and race from a roll
You can at one track I have been too but I doubt this is the case here
Old Oct 4, 2008, 06:37 PM

What about with ECUflash??? If I just put it back to stock wont i be fine???
Old Oct 5, 2008, 06:11 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by mdsevo06
It's called a "Sum Count". This hasn't changed with the X.
Originally Posted by Steve@WORKS
The Calibration Verification Number (CVN) and Cal ID requests can determine if an ECU's software is currently modified. The CVN is a CARB-mandated item computed during the ECU's operation (it's not directly hard-coded). If an ECU is flashed back to stock, the CVN and Cal IDs are once again as expected. We don't recommend faking those numbers.
Truth. All subversion (aka untruths) by a certain vendor to say that a reflash = instant voided warranty have been removed from this thread and their own.

People, you have to use intelligence. ANY modification to the ECU's parameters would cause instant engine and drivetrain warranty voiding upon discovery. It doesn't matter what you use or how sneaky you think you are. My recommendation is to find out if your dealership is mod friendly. If not, you have to be willing to pay to play. The burden of repairing a modified car that results in engine damage due to misuse or any other reason is NOT the responsibility of the manufacturer. Expecting them to cover it is asinine, and concocting ways to trick the dealership is dishonest.

Talk to the service manager first. You'll get a better picture of how they operate that way.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 07:21 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Truth.
Which one is the truth? That the Sum Count can't be changed and indicates to anyone looking that the ECU has been flashed x number of times which can be compared to Mitsu's record of factory flashes, or that the CVN and Cal ID can be reset back to where they were? The two that you quoted seem to speak to different issues and only the first is specific to this question, right? It's a simple question. If the sum count is the same as on most other OEM ECUs then they can tell that it has been modified at one time, correct?

Last edited by JWA; Oct 5, 2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 09:29 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
Which one is the truth? That the Sum Count can't be changed and indicates to anyone looking that the ECU has been flashed x number of times which can be compared to Mitsu's record of factory flashes, or that the CVN and Cal ID can be reset back to where they were? The two that you quoted seem to speak to different issues and only the first is specific to this question, right? It's a simple question. If the sum count is the same as on most other OEM ECUs then they can tell that it has been modified at one time, correct?
Both are true.
1) The CVN and Cal ID are not points raised when the ECU is flashed back to stock.

2) The sum count is still in place. The sum count will also change when the factory flashes the car.

But to say that #2 is a valid point, you have to provide proof. How many documented voids of engine warranties do we have on the 1-9 forums of the previous generation CT9A cars based solely on sum count? The sum count cannot be used as the end all punch line in the argument if it is not checked in every driveline warranty claim.

On the flip side, I can tell you this: No mod is ever completely invisible. If you go to a non mod friendly dealer with a blown engine , they will look for any and every reason to understand why the damage occurred. Some have even used forum posts as evidence. Scary stuff.

Quick Reply: Can Mitsu track ECU changes?