Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Thoughts on the HKS EVC VI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2008, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SiC
Sorry I forgot to answer your question. Yes HKS told me to tap into the #1 cylinder coil. I don't have any laggy responses from it, it's really stable. And yes, it's set to 1 cylinder so is their demo car.
I tapped into the #1 cylinder on my X and it did not work. HKS told me that it wouldn't work. How did you get it to work? Did you have to convert the signal? If so, what did you use?
Old Dec 13, 2008, 08:52 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oraclesam
I tapped into the #1 cylinder on my X and it did not work. HKS told me that it wouldn't work. How did you get it to work? Did you have to convert the signal? If so, what did you use?
You must of hooked it up to the wrong wire and I don't know why HKS would tell you it wont work. The color of the wire was white/red, you can probably find the ECU pin out somewhere on this site. And no, I didn't have to convert any signal since it's the actual analog coil signal wire it has nothing to do with the CAN Bus. I'm sure there are many others on this forum with an EVC6 hooked up with the RPM signal input working.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by SiC
You must of hooked it up to the wrong wire and I don't know why HKS would tell you it wont work. The color of the wire was white/red, you can probably find the ECU pin out somewhere on this site. And no, I didn't have to convert any signal since it's the actual analog coil signal wire it has nothing to do with the CAN Bus. I'm sure there are many others on this forum with an EVC6 hooked up with the RPM signal input working.
Thank you. I will look at it again.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 05:27 PM

Are you running your HKS on a GSR or MR?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

I have it, and don't like it. I prefer the AVC-R as it does true gear based boost control. My issues could be due to the 20psi actuator I am running though and only trying to target 24psi boost.

Does not do gear based control, only RPM or TPS or Speed or TPS&Speed or TPS&RPM.

Again, I think most of my problems are from running a high pressure acutator and the solenoid not being able to get to the sweep spot of it's duty cycle range.

Ohh, and the display / adjustment portion seems cheep as crap and the push / turn knob is a pain in the *** to use.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:55 AM

Avc-r features the start duty setting for each gear which is actually +/- duty number applied to the duty cycle map every time you change from a gear to another or when you come on boost on a certain gear.With that setting you can hit your target boost at low gears and dont oversboost at high gears.It's only effective for 1-2 seconds so basically you are always on the same boost for every gear as long as you run the self learning mode.
With the EVC VI you can try to lower the SAP to the lowest setting wich is 1 in order to reduce the sensitivity of the stepper motor and it will hold much easier the 24 psi target with the 20 psi actuator.
The evc easywriter is definetely the way to go with the ultra sensitive push/turn knob
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e_leo
Avc-r features the start duty setting for each gear which is actually +/- duty number applied to the duty cycle map every time you change from a gear to another or when you come on boost on a certain gear.With that setting you can hit your target boost at low gears and dont oversboost at high gears.It's only effective for 1-2 seconds so basically you are always on the same boost for every gear as long as you run the self learning mode.
With the EVC VI you can try to lower the SAP to the lowest setting wich is 1 in order to reduce the sensitivity of the stepper motor and it will hold much easier the 24 psi target with the 20 psi actuator.
The evc easywriter is definetely the way to go with the ultra sensitive push/turn knob
By SAP I assume you are talking about the sample rate that goes from 1 to 5 and is defaulted to 4? That must be the one you are talking about as it's the only one I have not touched yet. Even on the dyno (spools slower than on the road) when I got it to hit and hold near the target it would still go over and under for the whole run so I figured I needed to adjust the sample rate to smooth it out.

I just figured for the money the EVC-VI should be able to do gear based but there are not enough inputs on it, so you have to either use tps&road speed (useless cause I could be in 3 or 4 different gears with different loading characteristics at a given road speed) or tps&rpm (also useless since I need more inital duty cycle (or offset in hks terms) in the lower gears and less in the higher gears at the same rpm).

Thanks for the tip though , I'll give the sample rate a try next time on the dyno and see how that goes. I still think I need to go back to a low pressure actuator to make best use of the EVC.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 02:47 AM
Evolving Member

Is it possible to run higher boost that 36psi with HKS EVC VI?