Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Thoughts on the HKS EVC VI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on the HKS EVC VI

Anyone currently own one and your thoughts on the unit. Is there a cheaper route same results?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:49 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Here in Japan it's one of the most popular EBCs out. I don't even know if you can find a vendor in Japan that sells MBCs anymore. Lots of pros about it but I can only think of one con, the high price.

The wiring is pretty simple, one wire to constant (+), one to acc, one to ground, one to TPS, and last to RPM (taken from #1 coil).

Mapping is pretty easy too, it's only a 5x5 map based on RPM & TPS so it isn't difficult at all. All you do is decide on how much boost you want at what RPM & throttle opening percentage. There's also a 5x5 map for boost offset (boost correction) if you cannot achieve the amount of boost you want. I really don't use that feature since it can hold the amount of boost I set it for.

I have my boost currently set at 25psi and drops to 20psi at 7000RPM. This number isn't really much different from other MBCs but the difference is that it's the same in all gears. The EVC corrects the boost to whatever you set it to. An MBC will spike and boost will always be different in different gears/load.

Another nice feature is the boost warning & drop feature. You can set it so if the boost spikes to 28psi (or whatever psi) for some reason, it will instantly trigger the drop and drop the boost to 20psi (or whatever psi) for safety.

One unless ricey feature it has is the "Scramble Boost Mode". This allows you to achieve higher boost for an x amount of seconds by a press of the button. The designer must've been a Speed Racer fan or something.

My 2 cents..

Last edited by SiC; Oct 7, 2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

have it, love it,end of story

set at 25psi and hold all the way to up top
Old Oct 7, 2008, 08:16 PM

Thanks so much for the quick replies. Yea the only drawback that I see is the price... I believe I saw some kind of quick connect harness also... makes install that much easier
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiC
Here in Japan it's one of the most popular EBCs out. I don't even know if you can find a vendor in Japan that sells MBCs anymore. Lots of pros about it but I can only think of one con, the high price.

The wiring is pretty simple, one wire to constant (+), one to acc, one to ground, one to TPS, and last to RPM (taken from #1 coil).

Mapping is pretty easy too, it's only a 5x5 map based on RPM & TPS so it isn't difficult at all. All you do is decide on how much boost you want at what RPM & throttle opening percentage. There's also a 5x5 map for boost offset (boost correction) if you cannot achieve the amount of boost you want. I really don't use that feature since it can hold the amount of boost I set it for.

I have my boost currently set at 25psi and drops to 20psi at 7000RPM. This number isn't really much different from other MBCs but the difference is that it's the same in all gears. The EVC corrects the boost to whatever you set it to. An MBC will spike and boost will always be different in different gears/load.

Another nice feature is the boost warning & drop feature. You can set it so if the boost spikes to 28psi (or whatever psi) for some reason, it will instantly trigger the drop and drop the boost to 20psi (or whatever psi) for safety.

One unless ricey feature it has is the "Scramble Boost Mode". This allows you to achieve higher boost for an x amount of seconds by a press of the button. The designer must've been a Speed Racer fan or something.

My 2 cents..
I hear that the stock turbo is capable of holding 24 psi at 7000 RPM. Have you tried to see how much boost it will hold at 7000 RPM with the EVC 6 ??

And is that where HKS japan told you to hook the RPM signal wire on the Evo X? What settings did you use for cylinders, 1 cylinder? If so, how stable is the RPM signal and how fast does it follow engine speed. It would only be seeing 1 pulse per revolution so it might be a little laggy in response, especially right off idle.

If you want to get rid of some of the taper and get it to hold higher, I have a method of doing it. Send me a PM and I can give you more details.

The EVC 6 is the best boost controller out there for an Evo, hands down.

Brian
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:09 AM

turbodawg, I sent you a PM on the EVC install / setup. I had on on my IX and want to put it on my X... a little more delicate and confusing on the X. Any help would be appreciated!
Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:18 PM
Account Disabled

We installed a EVC 6 on an EVo X and we were very pleasntly suprized on how well it was able to hold the boost at a higher rpm. It is almost as effective as a high pressure WGA. I am curious to try a Forge WGA along WITH the EVC 6.

Al
Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

I have had my evc6 for a year now and it is really great once set up right, holds boost very well
Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:49 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
I hear that the stock turbo is capable of holding 24 psi at 7000 RPM. Have you tried to see how much boost it will hold at 7000 RPM with the EVC 6 ??

And is that where HKS japan told you to hook the RPM signal wire on the Evo X? What settings did you use for cylinders, 1 cylinder? If so, how stable is the RPM signal and how fast does it follow engine speed. It would only be seeing 1 pulse per revolution so it might be a little laggy in response, especially right off idle.

If you want to get rid of some of the taper and get it to hold higher, I have a method of doing it. Send me a PM and I can give you more details.

Brian

Brian, thanx for the offer but I actually have it set to taper on purpose
I know it can be adjusted by the offset maps (increase at higher RPMs) but I actually have my boost map set to taper by RPM just to be safe.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 01:42 AM
Evolving Member

Brian
The EVC can hold 28psi no problem on ECUTEK. Stock Ecu so far I seen is 26psi without going into Limp Mode...

For cyclinder wise, itz always set to 4 cyclinder....
Old Oct 26, 2008, 06:23 AM
SiC
Evolved Member

Brian
Sorry I forgot to answer your question. Yes HKS told me to tap into the #1 cylinder coil. I don't have any laggy responses from it, it's really stable. And yes, it's set to 1 cylinder so is their demo car.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 01:02 PM

Did you guys use the "crankshaft position sensor" for the engine rev/rpm signal?

thanks
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by SiC

My 2 cents..
I cannot get a tach signal nor a throttle position. I need help. Where did you get your signals from? Did you have to install any digital to analog converters or anything. I must be missing something. I contacted HKS and they told me that the tach and throttle will not work on the EVO X. Help.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

I was considering this boost controller, but went with the Blitz i color, and not regretting it. it's fantastic, so many functions, no spiking and so much more. I will upload a picture if you want to see it?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evokel
have it, love it,end of story

set at 25psi and hold all the way to up top
+ 1

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the HKS EVC VI