Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Ecutek with ARC upper intercooler pipe lost power??!!!???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecutek with ARC upper intercooler pipe lost power??!!!???

Hi all, Car is a JDM EVO X Premium ed (usa MR), mods were kakimoto dual exhaust, ultimate racing resonated test pipe, arc upper ic pipe, Blitz cone airfilter and ecutek.

base numbers were under 300hp flywheel....as soon as the arc intercooler pipe was taken out and replaced with the stock unit we netted a 40hp gain! has anyone heard or experienced this before?

what do u guys think is wrong, is there a conflict in the amount of air flowing that ecutek is restricting the car maybe? I have to be honest and say i have no clue, and i was completely dumbfounded by the results of the dyno last night! The engine tuner here is one of the most reputable ones around. he told me two of his other customers have had similar experiences.... one had a nisei piping kit and the other car had a custom piping kit.....

Old Nov 13, 2008, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Too many variables here to really tell what caused it...
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

So you're saying that aftermarket intercooler kit actually lose power over stock?? i highly doubt it, maybe it wasn't tuned correctly..
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by LVSBB6
So you're saying that aftermarket intercooler kit actually lose power over stock?? i highly doubt it, maybe it wasn't tuned correctly..
it doesnt make sense right, but that was my experience! i dont understand it either, and neither do any of my other friends who drive the X....
another friend uses the hks piping kit tuned by the same tuner, and no problems...
i'm wondering if anyone stateside has experienced this... for now the ARC pipe is sitting pretty in the trunk!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

i dont mind taking the ARC off your hands
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:01 AM

i dont mind taking the ARC off your hands
I'll take pics on my camera phone and post it up later if you want! dont blame me if you loose power tho....
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rguy
Too many variables here to really tell what caused it...
+1

Did you change the pipe and ran right away? I mean just like rguy says there's so much going that yes maybe it did, maybe it didn't. And dyno numbers are nice for a comparo but nothing final. It could have been the dyno itself having a hiccup.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Is it the titanium or aluminum version? did you have the lower pipe too?

Originally Posted by Karam
I'll take pics on my camera phone and post it up later if you want! dont blame me if you loose power tho....
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
+1

Did you change the pipe and ran right away? I mean just like rguy says there's so much going that yes maybe it did, maybe it didn't. And dyno numbers are nice for a comparo but nothing final. It could have been the dyno itself having a hiccup.
ok, what happened was we tuned the car on monday, the sensor of the dyno was being replaced on wednesday so i would come in for a mivec touch up on wednesday to see the difference mivec tuning would play. On tuesday i did a drag with a mate of mine with similar mods except he had a high flow cat and no ecutek. I ran catless with ecutek. (both cars run arc piping btw) result was in first and second i would pull away but hardly anything in third. I also only felt low end improvements in the car and the high end didnt feel good.

so on thursday (last night) i return to the tuner to find out that after ecutek i only got 300at the flywheel, and he said it should be the ic piping as he had seen this before.
anyways with the stock pipe back on the car feel really good and strong throughout!
i dont know if its just my car that is sensitive to ic pipes
i know it doesnt make any sense and i was in shock for the whole night yesterday! i had to demod to get power!!!!
Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Karam
ok, what happened was we tuned the car on monday, the sensor of the dyno was being replaced on wednesday so i would come in for a mivec touch up on wednesday to see the difference mivec tuning would play. On tuesday i did a drag with a mate of mine with similar mods except he had a high flow cat and no ecutek. I ran catless with ecutek. (both cars run arc piping btw) result was in first and second i would pull away but hardly anything in third. I also only felt low end improvements in the car and the high end didnt feel good.

so on thursday (last night) i return to the tuner to find out that after ecutek i only got 300at the flywheel, and he said it should be the ic piping as he had seen this before.
anyways with the stock pipe back on the car feel really good and strong throughout!
i dont know if its just my car that is sensitive to ic pipes
i know it doesnt make any sense and i was in shock for the whole night yesterday! i had to demod to get power!!!!
That's weird. Something is definitely wrong, but i will stick by common sense, that i dont think it was the pipe. Something else had to be the culprit.

Can you post both dyno sheets. Another thing i can think of(MR owners dont bash me) is with the ARC pipe was making just enought power to slip the clutch pack on the DCSST. But i doubt this very much. Or maybe some kind of half *** limp mode limiting your power one day and not the other.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

There is no doubt Rhomel's a good tuner, just unfortunately not a very good problem solver. Paying customers want results when they pay for a tune, not a list of what MIGHT possibly have caused a problem during the tune. I've been down the road of interchanging my stock parts back, just so to test out if they were the cause of a malfunction and trust me, it's freaking tedious and time consuming. It's not funny too when at the end of the day, the problem still persists.

With regards to your problem, i highly doubt it to be the fault of the upper intercooler piping.

Having been down your exact road, i suggest you fix back your ARC upper intercooler piping and try out other reputable tuners. It's always good to have different perspectives to a singular problem. Andrew from BMS, Benny from Dynotechnica or simply GarageR would be a good start.

Last edited by countdokoo; Nov 14, 2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

maybe the possibility of boost leak?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 06:53 PM

Is it the titanium or aluminum version? did you have the lower pipe too?
Its the ti pipe. will email u the pics today! d:-)
Old Nov 15, 2008, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

maybe the possibility of boost leak?
I think a boost leak would make sense; he shouldn't be LOSING (not loosing!) any power, especially not 40hp or whatever it was.

Have you figured it out yet? I remember seeing a thread not along ago where an MR was being dyno'd and the dyno rollers weren't rolling at the same speed and the ASC (?) stepped in and cut power. I'll see if I can find the thread I'm talking about maybe it could help you.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Got to be a boost leak. UICP gains about 10 whp; it doesn't lose 40. Something wasn't installed right. Maybe the couplers were loose, or maybe they were too tight and the hose was pinched, causing a "tent" to open and create the boost leak. Who knows...

Quick Reply: Ecutek with ARC upper intercooler pipe lost power??!!!???