Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

evo x 1st mod

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo x 1st mod

Hi everyone, my dreams came true i purchased evo... Now i want to make some mods... im thinking about exhaust system, air filter, maybe blow off, ecu, boost controller, intercooler... But for the first time is too much... what is best for the 1st mod? Maybe someone can help me with that?
Thank you..
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say an air intake is a great first mod. If you would like to keep your stock airbox, you should absolutely get a drop-in filter, which is a great mod for the money. HKS has one for about $50, Works has one in the $100 range, and K&N also has one. I used to have the HKS hybrid filter and I thought it was great.

You really don't need a blow off valve on the Evo X - once you get a drop-in filter or air intake, you will get that "whoosh" sound you are looking for from the bov.

An exhaust would make for a great beginner mod too. Anything that helps the car breathe will yield very noticeable gains.

Congrats with the purchase, good luck, and happy modding!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Biggest bang for you buck is an ECUtune.

you can unlock gobs of power for the least possible money this way.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Biggest bang for the buck would be a tune, but if you don't have freeware it may get expensive having to pay everytime you mod the car. I would go with a drop-in air filter and Manual boost controller for a first mod.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

make sure you do your research, when you purchase your mods.
drop the BOV like Mac said but i would go with some kind of boost gauge.
but drop in filter and exhaust are nice too.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:24 PM

Thanks for help, i have 1 more question, Im thinking about exhaust system, there are lots of them... and wich is good wich is bad ( price is not very important ).. ;/ my experience is poor with that.. Thank you )
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

if you're planning on sticking with duals, go buschur all the way baby
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If I had to do it all over again, I would have not bothered changing the intake and just done a drop in. The stock box is good, the weak part is the MAF section.

I would have started with the UR full TBE (which I do have). I think it freed up way more power than the AEM intake box did.

And if ECUFlash was out I'd say a tune...
Old Nov 17, 2008, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Like you said, there are a lot of exhausts out there. Search around the forums to get opinions of other members to see which ones are rated higher, sound better, etc. I just bought the Buschur dual (and it seems like a lot of other members have been buying it lately) and I love it. You'll have to decide on your own whether you want loud/quiet, American-made/JDM, and other decisions like that.

Like others have said, a tune is the best power-to-money value, but it will void your warranty, which is why I'm staying away from it for now. If warranty doesn't matter to you, get yourself some breather mods and a tune and you're set.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 03:46 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

If you plan on getting a generic tune, I would get that first. If you plan on getting a custom tune, do it after you put on other parts so you can customize the tune to your mods.

As for bolt ons, I'd go with a nice exhaust system first. If you want to keep the tone down a little, go with a dual. If you don't mind the sound, go with a single with no restrictors inside the muffler (straight 3 inch). Also the stock cat is pretty restrictive so you might want to get rid of that.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiC
If you plan on getting a generic tune, I would get that first. If you plan on getting a custom tune, do it after you put on other parts so you can customize the tune to your mods.

As for bolt ons, I'd go with a nice exhaust system first. If you want to keep the tone down a little, go with a dual. If you don't mind the sound, go with a single with no restrictors inside the muffler (straight 3 inch). Also the stock cat is pretty restrictive so you might want to get rid of that.

I thought taking the CAT out was illegal in the US. Dunno about Lithuania though. I am pretty sure you'd fail inspection if it was required for registration/pollution check etc.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:51 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
If I were you, the first mod I would get is the "search button" mod. If you rely on only the people who post on your thread, the information you get will be very limited. If you search the proper forums, you are much more likely to get solid information on a variety of different options available.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

I guess I took a slightly uncoventional approach. My first mod was a 35r turbo kit, followed by FMIC, exhaust etc etc. Who really knows what the first mod should be, but I think may agree that a $500 dollar reflash will take you along way.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:42 PM

If you're gonna stay stock, then just tune.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

First mod to be done should be to tighten the stock wastegate actuator. Free mods are best.

Quick Reply: evo x 1st mod