Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Cobb Tuning Access Port Is Now Available For The Evo X!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:07 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The AP will control boost but it is not a boost controller. The boost control is in the map that is provided with the port. You can use the Access Tuner Race to adjust the boost but I would not do this without also tuning the Fuel and timing curves and it should be done by someone who knows what they are doing

You can also choose to run a MBC if you wish just set it to the boost targets the cobb map is built for and you will be fine
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:37 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dosagex
Can the AP adjust boost? or do you need a boost controller?
All the Cobb maps that you run will raise the boost through revised ecu mapping

Also any tuned map that you buy or have made will similarly control the boost

There are limits to the controlability on the stock boost control and what the ecu can do but generally with the stock turbo the ecu controlled boost is very good

Al
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Am i the only one that notices the power just drops after 4000 rpms or so compare to the stock powerband which keeps on going up? Looks like something that is not worth dealing with. So you get a nice powerband up front, and then nothing '

Can you modify the rev limiter? how about the launch control two step?
Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, you must be the only one. I see torque dropping at 4k!
Old Nov 29, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

^I think your reading it wrong. Read the legend. Power is better tq and hp.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 09:39 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Papi4baby
Am i the only one that notices the power just drops after 4000 rpms or so compare to the stock powerband which keeps on going up? Looks like something that is not worth dealing with. So you get a nice powerband up front, and then nothing '

First of all its a product that wears many hats

1 - Its a tuning tool. Don't look at the results of one dyno sheet. Depending on the boost level, a/f, ignition and mivec timing your results will vary. This is why there is a network of professional tuners to tune with with the access tuner application and the option to tune it yourself using the so called "race" application. As far as tuning tools go its excelent with all the bells and whistles you would need to tune any car.

2 - Its a map transport device which holds maps in the unit and allows you to transfer them into your car. There are applications to add maps and remove maps on and off the unit.

3 - Its a gauge and monitor which can review and data log OBD II parameters.

4 - Its a dyno and track time simulator and recorder.

To answer your final question it can adjust the rev limiter and two step.

Al
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

I posted this over at the COBB forums: (forgive my ignorance)

I am ready to buy the Accessport for the EVO X 08 but I need to know if maps willl be available for colder temperatures if the device makes my car run too lean.

I live in Northern Alberta where the average temperature in the winter is -20 C with lows of -45 C and Highs of 35 C above in the summer.

As i had some problems due to this with my Mazdaspeed3 (no Accessport). If it isn't an issue with running too lean please inform me if possible.

I'm sure there are probably failsafes built in to the Accessort to prevent me running the car too lean. But i need a little assurance. Thanks.
Anyone have any information/suggestions that may help me make my choice?

There isnt really any good tuning solutions in my area so i am stuck with default maps and no dyno tuning, so either a mail-in flash or the accessport is the choice for me.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Papi4baby

You are reading the chart wrong, the horsepower and torque is more than stock throughout the whole powerband, and no point does it make less than stock.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone have the ROM or .hex file for this stage 1 COBB map?
Old Nov 30, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/.../EVOXMaps.html
Old Nov 30, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Td66
Yeah, you must be the only one. I see torque dropping at 4k!
Originally Posted by dcasandman
^I think your reading it wrong. Read the legend. Power is better tq and hp.
Originally Posted by DynoFlash

1 - Its a tuning tool. Don't look at the results of one dyno sheet. Depending on the boost level, a/f, ignition and mivec timing your results will vary. This is why there is a network of professional tuners to tune with with the access tuner application and the option to tune it yourself using the so called "race" application. As far as tuning tools go its excelent with all the bells and whistles you would need to tune any car.

2 - Its a map transport device which holds maps in the unit and allows you to transfer them into your car. There are applications to add maps and remove maps on and off the unit.

Al
Originally Posted by razorlab
You are reading the chart wrong, the horsepower and torque is more than stock throughout the whole powerband, and no point does it make less than stock.
sorry guys, i was looking at the solid lines together as being the AP maps vs the dash being the stock, lol. You are all correct.

Dynoflash: I have read about the AP being able to do alot of stuff. I just didn't read the legend correctly and jump to conclusion on the dyno chart. Witch i am not paying to much attention. I will wait for 3rd party dyno's/reviews before deciding on this or ECUflash.

Also thank you for letting me know about two step and rev limit control.

Last edited by Papi4baby; Nov 30, 2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

^I did the same thing the first time I read it.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Pretty cool. I have been waiting for ECUflash because I enjoy tuning my own car, but I'm not sure if I have time or room on my driving record for 600 runs up and down my street I certainly like the ability to easily go back and forth between maps. Well worth the price.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

al, would you recommend this over ecuflash or would ecuflash still be superior to the AP?
Old Nov 30, 2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by DynoFlash

Al
I am having some issues under partial throttle (ECU senses higher boost than normal with incorrect amount of fuel at part throttle). Can I tune this out using the COBB Access Port?

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning Access Port Is Now Available For The Evo X!