Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Using Tactrix Cable to load Cobb Maps onto EVO X

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using Tactrix Cable to load Cobb Maps onto EVO X

Can this be done? Or is Tactrix only for ECUFLASH?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, Microsoft Technical Support,

I'd like some help installing this pirated version of windows 98 on my pc.

Can you help?

KThksBai!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Hi, Microsoft Technical Support,

I'd like some help installing this pirated version of windows 98 on my pc.

Can you help?

KThksBai!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

lol sorry, im a noob, so this is something I've heard from other people. Just wanted to ask if it were possible, didnt know this was illegal or considered pirating
Old Dec 18, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mj23foreva
lol sorry, im a noob, so this is something I've heard from other people. Just wanted to ask if it were possible, didnt know this was illegal or considered pirating
Just spend the 625.00 on an AP and you will be very happy - lot's of other great features with the AP besides new maps.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

If someone downloads their cobb map from their ecu using ecuflash and shares it, i guess this is possible. Are cobb maps protected by copyright?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

$600???!!! They're crazy. This guy already has a Tactrix cable so be patient and wait for the software to be released. But short answer is NO it can not be done. Cobb maps are designed to work on one car and one car only. One accessport, one car.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

It used to be possible to use the AP and then pull the AP map off the car but COBB changed the firmware this past summer which makes this no longer possible.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Guru
$600???!!! They're crazy. This guy already has a Tactrix cable so be patient and wait for the software to be released. But short answer is NO it can not be done. Cobb maps are designed to work on one car and one car only. One accessport, one car.
I'm not sure I understand. Arent the COBB maps on their website for the X all free to download (http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/.../EVOXMaps.html)? So if I can download them then its just a matter of getting the right software to upload them to the car's ecu with the Tractrix cable and a laptop...I'm sure someone developed a software to do this?!

I dont know what you mean by cobb maps are designed to work with only one car. Maybe the Accessport hardware is only desgned to work or sync with one car (much like how the IPOD/IPHONE only allows you to sync to 1 computer at a time) but anyone can download the maps. The access port hardware is just a simplified computer with only a few function, such as to get the COBB maps onto the car. I'm sure a good programmer with a laptop(which is much more powerful than an accessport) can hack/program something to upload a COBB map into a cars ECU using a Tractrix cable.

Maybe theres just not enough hackers/programmers interested in cars. If they can hack an iphone after Apple spent millions to keep it locked, I'm sure they will have no problem unlocking a simple map such as COBB. Educated me please, i know more about computers than i know about cars =P

Last edited by Mj23foreva; Dec 18, 2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

It's not wise to talk about "hacking" the maps that a company makes and using another tool to take them and use them for free.

If you want the COBB maps, buy an AP.

If you have ECUflash, use the maps (and there will be plenty!!!) that the opensource community provides.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
It's not wise to talk about "hacking" the maps that a company makes and using another tool to take them and use them for free.

If you want the COBB maps, buy an AP.

If you have ECUflash, use the maps (and there will be plenty!!!) that the opensource community provides.
Here here! I think this guy is just impatient is all.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

No, the AP will only upload the maps that are on Cobb's website for download. It might be possible once you own an AP to pull the ECU's ROM with a Tactrix cable...but it would be most unprofessional of you to share that map with anyone, much less install it on a different car. The tactrix software makes it possible to custom tune EVERY car, I don't see the point in running a "one size fits all" map from Cobb when there will be plenty of those floating around from ECUflash users which can be shared legally.