Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How the Zchip works

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madcows
The Zchip can only indirectly alter fueling and timing. It's forcing the ECU to do it based on the altered MAP signal the zchip is feeding to it. I wouldn't consider it a piggyback.
OK. So what does this mean?:

"The ZChip has multiple maps to custom tailor and process the MAP sensor's signal to tune the car into a custom load cell of fueling and ignition timing".

I think I agree with you but don't understand it completely. My understanding of these MAP signal modifiers are that they show a lower value reading when the stock ECU picks up the signal and forces the ECU to adjust the stock tables because it is reading a lower or out of sync signal. The description noted above seams to indicate that something else is going on or that additional tables or information is being sent to the stock ECU besides just the MAP sensor's signal. Can't get my head around it yet. But thanks for the explanation.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smgevo
OK. So what does this mean?:

"The ZChip has multiple maps to custom tailor and process the MAP sensor's signal to tune the car into a custom load cell of fueling and ignition timing".

I think I agree with you but don't understand it completely. My understanding of these MAP signal modifiers are that they show a lower value reading when the stock ECU picks up the signal and forces the ECU to adjust the stock tables because it is reading a lower or out of sync signal. The description noted above seams to indicate that something else is going on or that additional tables or information is being sent to the stock ECU besides just the MAP sensor's signal. Can't get my head around it yet. But thanks for the explanation.

Your understanding is correct. TTP can custom tailor their offset maps for the ZChip, so in a sense, it's also customizing what the ECU is doing. I really think what TTP was saying is more of marketing hype to make it sound like the zchip is doing more than it really is.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:20 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
This thread will not end well. Do you remember the first time someone tried this?
The biggest problem I see is that there is much speculation as to how the product works, and the creator/vendor only posts to tell everyone what's wrong with their speculation. I see two solutions to this:

1. TTP could simply say they don't want to release the information about how the product works as it is proprietary. I wouldn't blame them, it's their work, their product, and why should any of their competitors gain insight into the design of said product. That being said, there are many people (like me) who don't want to put things on their car that manipulate tuning without at least somewhat understanding how it works. It's their choice and we should respect that choice either way - but they need to declare it.

2. TTP could launch an in-depth discussion explaining all the components that go in to making the z-chip a great tuning option. It would clear up all the speculation and general confusion about their technology and probably stop a lot of the back and forth arguing about tuning methods.

Like I said, either decision should be respected, but I know I as a consumer would like a definitive standpoint from which to view the product in the future. Of course, controversy brings attention to the product and keeps it in the limelight, so maybe this is just a genius marketing angle and we're all suckers while that puppy is selling like hotcakes!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nsomniac
The biggest problem I see is that there is much speculation as to how the product works, and the creator/vendor only posts to tell everyone what's wrong with their speculation. I see two solutions to this:

1. TTP could simply say they don't want to release the information about how the product works as it is proprietary. I wouldn't blame them, it's their work, their product, and why should any of their competitors gain insight into the design of said product. That being said, there are many people (like me) who don't want to put things on their car that manipulate tuning without at least somewhat understanding how it works. It's their choice and we should respect that choice either way - but they need to declare it.

2. TTP could launch an in-depth discussion explaining all the components that go in to making the z-chip a great tuning option. It would clear up all the speculation and general confusion about their technology and probably stop a lot of the back and forth arguing about tuning methods.

Like I said, either decision should be respected, but I know I as a consumer would like a definitive standpoint from which to view the product in the future. Of course, controversy brings attention to the product and keeps it in the limelight, so maybe this is just a genius marketing angle and we're all suckers while that puppy is selling like hotcakes!
I think there is little speculation as to what it does considering it sits between the MAP sensor and the ecu, and intercepts the signal from the cam/crank(?). That means it can only do one thing - and that's to modify the signal the ecu receives from the MAP. What the ecu does from that point is pure magic (heh). I'm not saying the zchip is bad, or isn't a clever and effective product.

Any electrical engineer can figure out what it does, so I don't see any point at trying to "hide" the technology. On top of that, anyone that's not into electronics won't build some home-brewed type, so I don't see why TTP beats around the bush. Then again, I guess from a business stand point, it's important to make your product look/sound as impressive as possible.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Double posted... sorry!

Last edited by madcows; Jan 7, 2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nsomniac

I agree with you wholeheartedly however...such is not the case. Maybe I approached with a different state of mind from Day 1 when I decided to call and personally ask how it worked. I don't care how much power can be made. That is irrelevant to me when asking about the mechanics of a product. I was slighted and told to read up on the website. Really? At that point in time my curiosity of the product ended.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:51 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think there is little speculation as to what it does considering it sits between the MAP sensor and the ecu, and intercepts the signal from the cam/crank(?). That means it can only do one thing - and that's to modify the signal the ecu receives from the MAP. What the ecu does from that point is pure magic (heh). I'm not saying the zchip is bad, or isn't a clever and effective product.
There is 90% speculation as you have demonstrated continuously to not have a clue what you are talking about as there is no signal from the crank or cam.

We urge you to cease spreading misinformation as it does nothing to build value in the wealth of information evolutionm.net provides the community.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
There is 90% speculation as you have demonstrated continuously to not have a clue what you are talking about as there is no signal from the crank or cam.

We urge you to cease spreading misinformation as it does nothing to build value in the wealth of information evolutionm.net provides the community.
Ouch!

Ok, my mistake... It DOESN'T connect to the crank or cam angle sensor, instead it attaches to a tach wire which most likely generates it's signal based off a measurement of the crank/cam angle sensor. The end result is still the same.

So, then correct me if I'm wrong:
Based on the the RPM the zchip detects from the tach wire, it references some sort of value from a table that it uses to offset the signal from the MAP. That's the only thing it can possibly do.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cpoevo
From the reading I did on the z-chip forumn on the installation instructions and looking at the program I downloaded from the forumn it appears to me it is a high resolution AFC. If you look at the program it has a **** load of points to adjust vs an AFC with 16 points. The installation is interceptor on the MAP sensor and RPM. So it alters the MAP readings like an AFC. I am sure TTP will say I am wrong and spreading false info, but he is yet to answer anybodies question as why it is better than any other tuning method or how it works. Used as an interceptor like the AFC is used you cannot directly control timing you make the ecu think it is running in a lower load so it raises timing indirectly.
Not entirely true, he said the benefits. This is a low cost product that will get most people to their power goals and staying as unbiased as i can, do it safely (seeing as how it lets the stock ecu do its thing with most regards should be no problem here and I think TTP is a reputable company and DOES indeed provide great and safe products).

So over another product, this costs half as much and makes power, enough said I guess.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Ouch!

Ok, my mistake... It DOESN'T connect to the crank or cam angle sensor, instead it attaches to a tach wire which most likely generates it's signal based off a measurement of the crank/cam angle sensor. The end result is still the same.

So, then correct me if I'm wrong:
Based on the the RPM the zchip detects from the tach wire, it references some sort of value from a table that it uses to offset the signal from the MAP. That's the only thing it can possibly do.
Great questions and assumtions. I think I agree with you in concept but you have a better understanding than me. I also think you are correct without any additional information proving you incorrect.

I just want to add that I appreciate everyones professional responses and the joint agreement to not have this thread closed or deleted by flaming any vendor. This topic is good discussion and informative, and its intent is to better understand a particular product in some detail.

No misinformation is being intentionally spread by anyone. We are trying to figure out how this product functions. If any vendor or manufacturer would like to contribute useful and factual data on how this product works, that would be greatly appreciated. Just stating that we are wrong is not very useful. Split Second was of great help to me when deciding to purchase various engine management products. Dinan was also extremely patient and helpful to the entire twin turbo product in answering various questions publicly and in special club presentations regarding the ECU tuning tool.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smgevo
Great questions and assumtions. I think I agree with you in concept but you have a better understanding than me. I also think you are correct without any additional information proving you incorrect.

I just want to add that I appreciate everyones professional responses and the joint agreement to not have this thread closed or deleted by flaming any vendor. This topic is good discussion and informative, and its intent is to better understand a particular product in some detail.

No misinformation is being intentionally spread by anyone. We are trying to figure out how this product functions. If any vendor or manufacturer would like to contribute useful and factual data on how this product works, that would be greatly appreciated. Just stating that we are wrong is not very useful. Split Second was of great help to me when deciding to purchase various engine management products. Dinan was also extremely patient and helpful to the entire twin turbo product in answering various questions publicly and in special club presentations regarding the ECU tuning tool.
Actually madcows is wrong because there is no tach wire on the ecu

I believe TTP has various screenshots of their tuning tool on the posted website..
That is how the signal is manipulated ..

The good thing about the airflow sensor is its dynamic .. it doesn't need to reference a table to find certain values and then converting it to fuel and ignition ..

MAP on the other hand requires the said tables to do conversions .. and that's what zchip manipulates .. the tables on the MAP ..
Does it cause conflict ?? strangely no but then I've gone thru the MAP tables as I was curious also how they did it .. and it's just that .. a reference table that points to the actual AFR and timing maps .. I have yet to fully understand the connections but slowly I guess

It IS a piggyback in semantic terms .. it requires the original ECU to work .. and it manipulates the signals from the original ECU to achieve the results ..

I believe the ends justify the means ..
Old Jan 7, 2009, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Ya I believe you are correct the MAP will produce a voltage (1-5V or whatever the range is) based on the amount of boost, then using a table (map voltage and the rpm) the zchip will send out the altered voltage to the ecu thus making the car seem like there is less boost then there actually is therefore making the afr lower.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aiden1983
Ya I believe you are correct the MAP will produce a voltage (1-5V or whatever the range is) based on the amount of boost, then using a table (map voltage and the rpm) the zchip will send out the altered voltage to the ecu thus making the car seem like there is less boost then there actually is therefore making the afr lower.
ECU doesn't measure boost .. it measures Load via some calculations .. pretty much like g/revs
Old Jan 7, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
Actually madcows is wrong because there is no tach wire on the ecu

I believe TTP has various screenshots of their tuning tool on the posted website..
That is how the signal is manipulated ..

The good thing about the airflow sensor is its dynamic .. it doesn't need to reference a table to find certain values and then converting it to fuel and ignition ..

MAP on the other hand requires the said tables to do conversions .. and that's what zchip manipulates .. the tables on the MAP ..
Does it cause conflict ?? strangely no but then I've gone thru the MAP tables as I was curious also how they did it .. and it's just that .. a reference table that points to the actual AFR and timing maps .. I have yet to fully understand the connections but slowly I guess

It IS a piggyback in semantic terms .. it requires the original ECU to work .. and it manipulates the signals from the original ECU to achieve the results ..

I believe the ends justify the means ..
I say "tach" wire because that's exactly what the ZChip installation procedures on their website calls it. At any rate, if it is a tach wire, it doesn't necessarily mean that it comes off the ECU anyways.

"Does it cause conflict ?"
It must when the CEL comes on every now and then.

" and it manipulates the signals from the original ECU to achieve the results .."
It manipulates the signal from the MAP which then gets interpreted by the ECU

The product definitely works. I was just trying to provide my best interpretation of the device to answer the initial question - since TTP doesn't want to.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
ECU doesn't measure boost .. it measures Load via some calculations .. pretty much like g/revs
I am really interested in finding out how the ECU determines load. Perhaps it's possible to determine by some sort of relation between airflow, rpm, and pedal/throttle position.

Any idea who might know for certain?

Quick Reply: How the Zchip works