Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How the Zchip works

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
These comments are very helpful, thank you. Let them keep coming

The extra wire splice which I guess has something to do with rpm and its relationship to other component interpretations makes this product differ from the Split Second product at least in this one way for sure. So we can therefore assume it is more sophisticated.

The simplicity of the product in producing the end results is a neat trick, as is the boost pill concept. All of these products, including ECU Flash programs, are too new to this motor to determine logevity at this point, but it is amazing how much power with little effort the available mods for our car produce.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smgevo
These comments are very helpful, thank you. Let them keep coming

The extra wire splice which I guess has something to do with rpm and its relationship to other component interpretations makes this product differ from the Split Second product at least in this one way for sure. So we can therefore assume it is more sophisticated.

The simplicity of the product in producing the end results is a neat trick, as is the boost pill concept. All of these products, including ECU Flash programs, are too new to this motor to determine logevity at this point, but it is amazing how much power with little effort the available mods for our car produce.

Tuning the ECU program is always the best (though not easiest) way to go, in the sense that it gives you the most control over all the systems, so to make sure they all work in harmony.

When I say tuning the program, I don't mean just the maps, but the actual program that does the computations and reads/writes the signals from/to the various electronics on the engine.

After all, if it wasn't for the ECU, every system would have to be, well, mechanical.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by madcows
I say "tach" wire because that's exactly what the ZChip installation procedures on their website calls it. At any rate, if it is a tach wire, it doesn't necessarily mean that it comes off the ECU anyways.

"Does it cause conflict ?"
It must when the CEL comes on every now and then.

" and it manipulates the signals from the original ECU to achieve the results .."
It manipulates the signal from the MAP which then gets interpreted by the ECU

The product definitely works. I was just trying to provide my best interpretation of the device to answer the initial question - since TTP doesn't want to.
If its a tach wire on a computer controlled engine .. it's coming from the ECU

Even ecuflash/ecutek causes CEL on and then .. its moot ..

Airflow signals are also interpreted by ECU .. so whats the point here ??

Whatever you use is only as good as how GOOD you are at using it .. if something is easy to use for most guys .. I think it serves its purpose ..

If you think ECUflash is easy to use .. think again ..
You need to understand basic/advanced/phD engine tuning, computer software engineering, assembly language ..etcetc .. most of which no one really wants to do just to tune their cars anyways ..

Ends justify the means

PS Load is still calculated as a function of injector size, latency time, and a few other things multiplied by airflow signal (or something ) .. refer to the E8/9 section of ECUFlash for understanding of LOAD ..
Old Jan 8, 2009, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those still doubting the z-chip here you go
Car went 12.0@113 with almost no mods on pump gas, full weight
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post6545960
Old Jan 8, 2009, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
If its a tach wire on a computer controlled engine .. it's coming from the ECU

Even ecuflash/ecutek causes CEL on and then .. its moot ..

Airflow signals are also interpreted by ECU .. so whats the point here ??

Whatever you use is only as good as how GOOD you are at using it .. if something is easy to use for most guys .. I think it serves its purpose ..

If you think ECUflash is easy to use .. think again ..
You need to understand basic/advanced/phD engine tuning, computer software engineering, assembly language ..etcetc .. most of which no one really wants to do just to tune their cars anyways ..

Ends justify the means

PS Load is still calculated as a function of injector size, latency time, and a few other things multiplied by airflow signal (or something ) .. refer to the E8/9 section of ECUFlash for understanding of LOAD ..
"If its a tach wire on a computer controlled engine .. it's coming from the ECU "
There are many possibilities. I could design a tach that reads the crank angle sensor, completely bypassing the ECU. Of course, it would need some of it's own circuitry. Like I said, I don't know what this "tach" wire is - it's the term they used in the ZChip installation procedures. Unless the instructions lie, we can assume the signal on this wire correlates somehow to engine speed.

"Even ecuflash/ecutek causes CEL on and then .. its moot .."
Then it's a good thing I said:"When I say tuning the program, I don't mean just the maps, but the actual program that does the computations and reads/writes the signals from/to the various electronics on the engine."

If the engine and electronics is operating within it's designed frame, then you should never get a CEL. I understand that plenty of flashed ECUs do ALL SORTS of funky things, but this just goes back to my point that the ENTIRE ECU program needs to be designed correctly.

"Airflow signals are also interpreted by ECU .. so whats the point here ??"
?? What's your point? You lost me.

"Whatever you use is only as good as how GOOD you are at using it .. if something is easy to use for most guys .. I think it serves its purpose .. "
And? I never said the ZChip is a bad product. In fact, I've stated it's a convenient and clever product that works. Am I supposed to say it's the greatest product ever built? It's not, but it's far from the worst

"If you think ECUflash is easy to use .. think again ..
You need to understand basic/advanced/phD engine tuning, computer software engineering, assembly language ..etcetc .. most of which no one really wants to do just to tune their cars anyways .."
Please show me where I said "I think ECUflash is easy to use". You can't - because I didn't.. In fact, take what I said: "Tuning the ECU program is always the best (though not easiest) way to go"
In the parentheses, I specifically said "though not easiest" as a comment to ECU tuning being the best (in the sense that it's the most powerful, not easiest)

"Ends justify the means"
I certainly never said the ZChip doesn't work. But remember, not everyone agrees that the end justifies the means
Old Jan 8, 2009, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Where do people keep coming up with this stuff? I don't remember one single post in this thread that suggested the ZChip doesn't work.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by madcows
Where do people keep coming up with this stuff? I don't remember one single post in this thread that suggested the ZChip doesn't work.
theres just some haters in this forum that think the zchip isnt good at all compared to a flash. Theres some track results to back it up, thats what people wanted to see
Old Jan 8, 2009, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
my under standing is the TT-p car already achive the following numbers and i assume on wheel,/since they never talking about crank numbers/
417 wtq and 390 whp. with
"STOCK INTAKE
STOCK CATBACK
STOCK UPPER PIPES
STOCK LOWER IC PIPES
STOCK FMIC
STOCK O2 HOUSING
STOCK BLOW OFF VALVE
STOCK CAMS
NO RACEFUEL"

and you mentioned on stock turbo.
so with those numbers they are runned 12.0 and 113 mph in 1/4 mile.
link here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post6546041

Now these numbers from the Mustang dyno .

Well here is the Dyno jet numbers bone stock Evo X GSR:
313 whp and 317 wtq.
run 12.33 and 110.47 mph.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...r-no-mods.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-iveytune.html

my question is for those who know drag racing:
an extra 100 wtq + and 77 whp + is in line with the 0.33 sec and the 3 mph plus? If it does then the Z-chip is real and you cant deny it.
Also i put a + sign behind the numbers since the Mustang reads lover then a Dyno jet , so i assume at least 15% more is comes up on the numbers at least.
So we dont know but should be on the same dyno an extra 15% different. Like if both would be on Dyno jet then the difference would be 115 whp and 88.5 whp at least.

Rob
Old Jan 8, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

yes the extra whp would make up for the extra 3mph in the 1/4.. Keep in mind since the car was ran at full weight and it weighs more than an Evo IX, hence why it didnt go 115+..If these cars were as light as a Evo IX, they be a different beast
Old Jan 8, 2009, 07:46 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
This thread is not for haters nor supporters of the Zchip. Anything posted otherwise is off topic. The sole purpose is to get a better understanding of how the Zchip works which I would think is evident from the title of the thread. Unfortunately my previous post was completely ignored, which was a great opportunity for TTP to clear up confusion regardless of which path they chose.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

theres just some haters in this forum that think the zchip isnt good at all compared to a flash. Theres some track results to back it up, thats what people wanted to see
Its at a different price point. At the same price point that might be a fair statement.

Madcows posts are very well thought out and analytical. Where is the hate again?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

yes the extra whp would make up for the extra 3mph in the 1/4.. Keep in mind since the car was ran at full weight and it weighs more than an Evo IX, hence why it didnt go 115+..If these cars were as light as a Evo IX, they be a different beast
the other time i posted, was also in full weight, and was a X GSR. if i wasn't clear on that.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 03:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old Jan 8, 2009, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
what this is mean? you did run the car in the cooler tempeture? because the NJ time comes form late summer. And the Z-chip time was obviously dec or jan.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 8, 2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 05:18 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
I'm baffled as to why you will come in to this thread - which is geared solely to finding out how your product works - only to refute those trying to answer the question or argue with posts that were already off topic. I realize some of the speculation has been tainted or at least somewhat biased. I've tried to keep this thread neutral and on-topic in order to encourage a better understanding of your product, but you insist on bickering with everyone and telling them how much they don't know about your product rather than offering anything insightful about it. I guess it's your choice how you represent your company, but I certainly expected more from what many people consider to be a top notch organization.

Good luck, I know I'm just a small drop in the bucket, but I'm officially turned off and uninterested in this tuning option.

Quick Reply: How the Zchip works