Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How the Zchip works

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2009, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
This thread is neutral and am happy it has kept on track. I actually found TTP's post humorous and smiled for quite some time. That is the nicest thing they have every posted! Please don't taunt them. I think it was all in good fun especially if you look at the date.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 07:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aiden1983
This thread is turning to $hit because of the zchip supporters! If you are going to just post how great it is and how we all don't know what we are talking about then DO NOT POST! I am pretty sure if you look in this tread you will find out how it works (I think it was page 2 near the bottom). Either way there is no way I would buy a zchip I think going to a tuner and getting them to tune your car is easier than a zchip and should net you similar gains (or I will tune myself as this car is a hobby to me).
The ZChip is the only USER or TUNER interface that the END USER is able to tune.

There is no easier interface.

The ZChip is moving to $399 for 2009 pricing model as our manufacturing process has greatly improved, allowing for less backorders and sufficient supply for once.

http://ttp-engineering.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=371

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Jan 8, 2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya I never said that the tuning would be easier, but to drop off my car and get a tuner to do it will be much easier for myself. I am sure your interface is easy to use I just personally haven't used it. Glad to see the cost come down.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 07:37 PM
Account Disabled

I find it funny those who don't have the chip are the only ones who nay say it or constantly challenge its performance.

Have you ever known something or understood something and yet most except a few around you don't and refute the evidence over and over again even when faced with multiple pieces of evidence to the contrary? This is how TTP and the Evo X's who run ZChip's must feel.

For those who actually bought the product and used or currently use it - only they can truly provide feedback because they have experience with it. This goes for any mod on any car or any product consumers can buy out there.

Why don't you put one on your car and then talk about how good it isn't or how good it it is... so far I have seen everyone extremely please with the product.

Side note, many of you could clear up your confusions if you just read what has already been posted here MANY times about the price and what the product actually does.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

I thought this thread was supposed to be about the specifics on how it works, not if it works - which is known for a fact to be true.

People then mistook it and either started praising it's performance, or bashed TTP. All of which is totally irrelevant in this thread. I understand if TTP doesn't want to explain the technical details of their product, so if that's the case, they should have simply stated that they don't wish to disclose proprietary information. Simple enough, and reasonable. But then they shouldn't be surprised when someone else tries to explain it (everything gets hacked) - then claiming it to be 90% incorrect for whatever reason(Which I know it wasn't).

Last edited by madcows; Jan 8, 2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 08:54 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by compscibOi
I find it funny those who don't have the chip are the only ones who nay say it or constantly challenge its performance.
Please explain what that statement has to do with the subject of this thread. Please use a PM so as not to add to the clutter of this discussion.

Cleaned. The OP posed a reasonable question concerning a product he is considering. Yet, once again a small group of people cannot resist the opportunity to wreck a thread. Please note that you will be history here if it continues. We are tired of it. If you are unable to offer reasoned, courteous and thoughtful technical content then stay out of the discussion. Thanks.

Last edited by Speedlimit; Jan 8, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

ECUtek reflashes are not 699 btw. They can be had for 350. Or in Perrin's case $329.39(after coupon).
Old Jan 8, 2009, 09:04 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
For those still doubting the z-chip here you go
Car went 12.0@113 with almost no mods on pump gas, full weight
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post6545960

thats a good run for a Z-chip tuned car , the car will do 11's next time out .
Old Jan 8, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

i own an 8, i use ecuflash, ive tuned cars with safc's and greddy e-manage's, personally the only thing that constitutes "the right way" is the way that makes power safely, the z-chip seems much more advanced then the safc, as you obviously have more then 16 points to play with, now the greddy emanage brings the afc to the computer which i guess is a little different but still alters the signal to accomplish the same end, the z-chip from what ive read and gather, i know only one person who has it, is basically a super advanced piggy back that instead of offering only a few points of adding or subtracting fuel...actually has map's that you can add or remove fuel and/or timing anywhere in the cars given range

to me this seems like it carries all the traditional advantages of a piggyback, low cost, guaranteed results, ease of installation, and ease of use.

having said that we have answered a crucial part of the OP's question of "how it works"
and that is that it works in conjunction with the stock ecu...therefore its a piggyback

seems redundant but with all of the back and forth in this thread i didnt see anyone come right out and say it

on a side note its horrible that so many threads have disappeared b/c it turns into a "which way is better" pissing match, some people pay a tuner and some get a road tune, some people get a dyno tune, some people tune there own cars, some people dont tune there cars at all

TTP just offered a product for people that there obviously was a market for, dont hate.

the only wrong way to tune a car is to make it have less power, or to be unsafe
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I had a long post ready for submission recommending self moderating this thread by all that choose to post herein. Unfortunately, it could not be posted prior to the thread being temporarily suspended, and in that post I was predicting that it would if posters keep going off track and making attacks in various directions. I appreciate the moderator and administrator's time and effort in reviewing these threads to keep everything in line. There is no reason for this bickering in a thread that has a very specific line of questioning: How the Zchip works. Although side line comments and questions are interesting,and at times entertaining, it appears that everytime this happens when discussing this product, things go haywire. So please lets stay on topic and discuss this product in a professional and informative manner. I am not for or against this product. I just want to know how it functions and how it differs from a more traditional inline receptor/modifier.

My only point of reference with this product is to compare it to the Split Second Turbo Tuner which I have described before. It appears with the comments contained herewith that the Zchip provides additional functionality over that product. It was my understanding that the SSTT was only an inline interceptor that altered the MAP and/or the MAF signal to cause the ECU to read a different value coming from that component and therefore make adjustment within the ECU to provide additional power benefits. Where my questions lay is how the Zchip does this. I guess there are tables built into the Zchip that are rpm specific that are sent along to the ECU to replace the stock tables. Does the ECU communicate back to the Zchip? Is it interactive in any way? Doesn't a traditional piggyback first take the stock ECU readings and modify them within the piggyback in the opposite direction down line and not function as an interceptor type device? Maybe someone can link some threads to address this type of automotive engineering technology.

Last edited by smgevo; Jan 8, 2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm kinda confused. The Z-chip can manipulate the Rev limit also?
Because in this drag video prep you put it out :
11.83 sec @ 116.3 on drag dyno. As a preparation for a drag strip. Which is awesome.

But clearly you never shifted the 5th gear. So how that is possible with the factory rev limit?
Can you comment on that?
Thanks Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37qNQcwSmI4
Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:37 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I'm kinda confused. The Z-chip can manipulate the Rev limit also?
Because in this drag video prep you put it out :
11.83 sec @ 116.3 on drag dyno. As a preparation for a drag strip. Which is awesome.

But clearly you never shifted the 5th gear. So how that is possible with the factory rev limit?
Can you comment on that?
Thanks Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37qNQcwSmI4
You must not have watched the 112.70mph runs at the track on the video. Next time watch the full video.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
You must not have watched the 112.70mph runs at the track on the video. Next time watch the full video.
It is not possible you put the video together wrong? Since the dyno run is loud and clear. You might run the 112 mph one on the dyno and a 116 mph on the track.
Only because on the track we cant see how many times you actually shifted.
I did watched the video all the way. There is only one run on the dyno for drag racing,

But you dont answered on the rev limiter. Z-chip is able to change it?

thanks Rob

Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:54 AM
Account Disabled

The E.T. between the dyno to the track is right on the money. We will be trying a few things on the dyno weight and aero settings to get the mph inline with the actual track so we know where we stand before we even leave the building.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
But you dont answered on the rev limiter. Z-chip is able to change it?
TTP - Can you just please answer the question? It is frustrating to potential customers when you reply to a post and dont answer the main question they asked.

Last edited by Stellar24; Jan 9, 2009 at 07:56 AM.

Quick Reply: How the Zchip works