Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How the Zchip works

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chabada15
the stock tables are already at peak performance setting,
Stock USDM and even JDM Mivec tables are far from peak performance.

Properly adjusting the Mivec tables alone can spool the turbo more than 500 rpm quicker and fill in the power in the mid range substantiality.

One example is that the USDM exhaust Mivec table has 0.0* at WOT. A good tuner knows what exhaust cam manipulation can do to spool, torque and even top end power.

The UDSM intake Mivec table has the same values from 160 load to 320 load per RPM (WOT will be 160+ load from 3500 to 7500 rpm), any device that changes the MAP pressure the car is seeing and thus running lower or higher loads on the maps, will show no mivec change per RPM on a "blocked" out Mivec table like that. The USDM exhaust Mivec table has 0.0* from 180 load to 320 load. The only way the car will run different Mivec values at WOT will be from changing of the actual table cell values.

Mivec Exhaust cam table:

Mivec Intake cam table:

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Jan 10, 2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Oops.... my questions/comments had been answered. Delete at will.

Last edited by madcows; Jan 10, 2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:37 AM
Evolved Member

thank you GST for popping in and correcting my guess thats why i said
it is used to make the turbo spool faster (stock) but what i believe there saying is that the stock tables are already at peak performance setting, also the MIVEC tables arent effected by the Z-chip, only fuel and timing...feel free to add other tables i know those 2 definitively are used
i thought TTP was saying the mivec tables werent worth changing via the Z-chip, thanks for clearing that up
Old Jan 10, 2009, 07:02 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i thought TTP was saying the mivec tables werent worth changing via the Z-chip, thanks for clearing that up
The stock turbo is twin scroll AND smaller than the Evo 8 turbo. It spools up lightning fast as is and faces little to no benefit from mivec changes.

Furthermore, cross vendor posting reflash information within our product thread is against the rules, especially when the information is false.

Without knowing how we program which load cells are accessed via ZChip, (this thread is about the ZChip, is it not?), one cannot make a statement that because a few blocks of upper load mivec tables in stock form are the same, that there are no changes to MIVEC with the ZChip.

This information is incorrect and we urge other vendors to cease the spread of misinfo, by not representing another vendor's product.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The stock turbo is twin scroll AND smaller than the Evo 8 turbo. It spools up lightning fast as is and faces little to no benefit from mivec changes.

Furthermore, cross vendor posting reflash information within our product thread is against the rules, especially when the information is false.

Without knowing how we program which load cells are accessed via ZChip, (this thread is about the ZChip, is it not?), one cannot make a statement that because a few blocks of upper load mivec tables in stock form are the same, that there are no changes to MIVEC with the ZChip.

This information is incorrect and we urge other vendors to cease the spread of misinfo, by not representing another vendor's product.
so then the Z-chip also changes the mivec tables and changes how it reacts?

i mean that is a direct question inline with the topic of this thread, its asking how it works, if mivec is changed that is part of it
Old Jan 10, 2009, 09:15 AM
Account Disabled

so then the Z-chip also changes the mivec tables and changes how it reacts?

i mean that is a direct question inline with the topic of this thread, its asking how it works, if mivec is changed that is part of it
Mivec can be changed as a result of the ZChip's programming. It does not directly control mivec, nor have we seen great changes in performance from custom map to custom map.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Mivec can be changed as a result of the ZChip's programming. It does not directly control mivec, nor have we seen great changes in performance from custom map to custom map.
thanks for answering my question
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

I'd imagine that since mivec timing correlates to to engine load, the zchip can indirectly influence the cam timing.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ugh. Why is this thread still alive? Look, people who are educated about engine management will know what to buy. I'm not saying what that is, because I'm just not going there. All I will say is this; when it comes to engine management, the expression "less is more" never applies. If you have questions about how a product works, there are many threads already discussing this and it should be common knowledge by now.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 02:35 PM
Account Disabled

We would consider ourselves educated about Engine Management since we have been an authorized EcuTek Trained Reflash tuner since 2005 and have since moved on to other programs and methods.

Depending on the settings used in the ZChip programming as tuned by the end user, the offsets used in the software will determine what load cell programming for MIVEC will be affected on the existing ECU mapping.

The ZChip has the broadest range of any piggyback unit with 510 adjustments to each 100 rpm input as well as 250 raw MAP rescaling points on top of that with another 510 adjustment points on each of the 250 raw MAP points according to MAP sensor inputs. Outside of those adjustment, it also has the ability to only process RPM adjustments over a predetermined and configurable boost level.

To contrast, any other reflash software available only controls 500 rpm points, making the ZChip over 5 times the resolution of any other tuning tool in the marketplace.

As stated repeated times already, we have not seen much difference in power with changes in MIVEC mapping. Using larger cams may or MAY NOT affect power with alternate MIVEC mapping.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

We would consider ourselves educated about Engine Management since we have been an authorized EcuTek Trained Reflash tuner since 2005 and have since moved on to other programs and methods.

Depending on the settings used in the ZChip programming as tuned by the end user, the offsets used in the software will determine what load cell programming for MIVEC will be affected on the existing ECU mapping.

The ZChip has the broadest range of any piggyback unit with 510 adjustments to each 100 rpm input as well as 250 raw MAP rescaling points on top of that with another 510 adjustment points on each of the 250 raw MAP points according to MAP sensor inputs. Outside of those adjustment, it also has the ability to only process RPM adjustments over a predetermined and configurable boost level.

To contrast, any other reflash software available only controls 500 rpm points, making the ZChip over 5 times the resolution of any other tuning tool in the marketplace.

As stated repeated times already, we have not seen much difference in power with changes in MIVEC mapping. Using larger cams may or MAY NOT affect power with alternate MIVEC mapping.
wow thats very impressive, does the Z-chip change any other parameters? like 2-step (if applicable) and/or rev/speed limiters?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

WOW!!!! this was a big step for ttp. This is def what this thread was designed for and I truly thank you for stepping up and giving us some info on it. So it uses the stock base map and uses the rpm and an algorithm to determine the load which corresponds to the afr which they want the ecu to use. The car will just adjust the timing as needed I assume. If you look at the maps then you can see rpm vs load so they manipulate the "load" so that it corresponds to a different cell. This is kinda what most people on here thought. I didn't think it would be able to choose a load every 100 rpm though. That is great news as you might be able to make a few extra hp in the ends off the 500 rpm ranges which was not possible with the ecu flash. Thanks again for posting the info for us. Also if most of what I said was true wouldn't you have to know if they got the reflash from mitsu? Maybe that is a question you ask people when they buy it, I am not sure.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

wow thats very impressive, does the Z-chip change any other parameters? like 2-step (if applicable) and/or rev/speed limiters?
From the other thread I don't think it does. Check out zchip vs AP and they have a list of what it can change, but keep in mind from the other post it is changed indirectly. <--Don't know if it matters or not, but they seem to get the results and safely.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

I'm pleased with TTP's in-depth response. It's nice to see info on the specifics of a product.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smgevo
Could someone please explain how the Zeitronix Zchip works.

It is not an ECU Flash, nor a traditional piggyback ECU that works in conjuction with the stock ECU. I believe it is a MAP sensor modifier but can't find any information on the web on its actual working premise. I am familiar with the Split Second Turbo Tuner which I had on my BMW335 and appreciated the simplicity of its design and generous power gains. Is the Zchip the same type of technology? What parameter can it modify besides the signal coming for the MAP sensor if this is the case? What can be custom tuned within it?
hey...
if you are familiar w/ the split second software you know how this works.. in the core is just a signal modifier for the map sensor.... that is all there is to it...
you modify the voltage to the map in order to get the effect of afr you want...
if you could compare it to the split sec for a second:

you have a table that reads in volts (map"load")in the determined rpm

if you download the z chip program you will see the same thin BUT on a more specific way

you modify V @ the map sensor in order for the ecu to use X cell from its own maps according to the modifications you do

to give you an example (the numbers i give you from now on ARE only speculation form my part since i have no Zchip and havent got the time or the means to gather the next data)

0 to 5V
5V can never happen on any sensor of the car, on the map this is overboost

given that fact for example (and i cant stress this more)
you have 23psi of boost the map registers ~4.75V (to say a below 5V number (since this should not happen)
you can add or retract signal V in order for the ecu to read less or more in that desired spot...
this retraction or adding gives or takes in this case fuel and so on and so on... is becomes a chain reaction of events

in order to do this well... you need to do a run w/o doing changes to see where the map runs in terms of Voltage

kind of triky i know but from looking at the program and by you giving the example of the split sec then you know what im talking about...

Quick Reply: How the Zchip works