Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How the Zchip works

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Things are starting to make sense. Thank you TTP for providing additional information on point. Here is the other threads description of what the Zchip modifies so we can have it here in this thread for consistancy.

"Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The ZChip for Evo X, MR and Ralliart 2009 modifies the following functions of the ECU without writing on the ECU.

MIVEC intake and exhaust
All ignition timing maps
All fuel maps
DBW maps
TPS maps
Airflow maps
Boost limits
MAP scaling"

I am familiar with the concept of signal modifiers and their use in changing voltage but never knew exactly what they modified. A sub-question becomes; does the Zchip modify more than the SSTT. I know that is a topic for another discusion so let's not begin that thread just yet, but in explaining the Zchip maybe someone can make the comparison while remaining on topic. Thanks. We have really good information here.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:00 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We will not be answering any question or comparison inquiries to and other products outside of AP, Ecutek, reflash or ZChip. These are the only viable options available and specific to the Evo.

The other product mentioned has nothing to do with the ZChip. We had never even seen or heard of the bmw unit until after we were into formal production of our EVO SPECIFIC plug n play product. This is much more complex than a simple map clamp which won't do a thing on the evo.

It has a complex graphical user interface which allows customization of fueling and ignition timing with affects on other load based ECU tables.

Our last one tuned yesterday added +82whp.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Jan 11, 2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
We will not be answering any question or comparison inquiries to and other products outside of AP, Ecutek, reflash or ZChip. These are the only viable options available and specific to the Evo.

The other product mentioned has nothing to do with the ZChip. We had never even seen or heard of the bmw unit until after we were into formal production of our EVO SPECIFIC plug n play product. This is much more complex than a simple map clamp which won't do a thing on the evo.

It has a complex graphical user interface which allows customization of fueling and ignition timing with affects on other load based ECU tables.

Our last one tuned yesterday added +82whp.

pretty fair response....I nor anyone i have asked have ever herd of the SSTT and since its not evo specific or even japanese import specific it bears no relevance
Old Jan 11, 2009, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wow. And I am sure that if you polled 100 BMW owners, less than 1% would know what a Zchip is as well as most BMW tuners/shops. Neither argument of knowledge of both products on the market is relevant to the comparison question as both modify the MAP signal. Split Second is a very reputable aftermarket manufacturer and has a greater breadth of components than Zeitronix and been in the business for quite some time. Funny why most don't know the company. Anyone at SEMA in 2007 or who has read about SEMA would have noticed that Split Second won a 2007 award for its plug n play performance module, just like Zeitronix won a similar award in 2008. Those that follow the tuning scene surely would have notice Split second's parts featured on various Japanese brand vehicles over the years. You can check out their website to confirm their involvement and/or products. But let us please get back on topic. I will make a new thread to address the differences if it is necessary, although it sure would save time to have all this information in one thread. I am sorry to go off topic but the previous comments are not an accurate representation of the truth about the product line and company and needs to be clarified. Again, let us focus on how the Zchip works, even though comparisons to various products will be made from time to time as it is sometimes unaviodable.

Last edited by smgevo; Jan 11, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 02:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smgevo
Wow. And I am sure that if you polled 100 BMW owners, less than 1% would know what a Zchip is as well as most BMW tuners/shops. Neither argument of knowledge of both products on the market is relevant to the comparison question as both modify the MAP signal. Split Second is a very reputable aftermarket manufacturer and has a greater breadth of components than Zeitronix and been in the business for quite some time. Funny why most don't know the company. Anyone at SEMA in 2007 or who has read about SEMA would have noticed that Split Second won a 2007 award for its plug n play performance module, just like Zeitronix won a similar award in 2008. Those that follow the tuning scene surely would have notice Split second's parts featured on various Japanese brand vehicles over the years. You can check out their website to confirm their involvement and/or products. But let us please get back on topic. I will make a new thread to address the differences if it is necessary, although it sure would save time to have all this information in one thread. I am sorry to go off topic but the previous comments are not an accurate representation of the truth about the product line and company and needs to be clarified. Again, let us focus on how the Zchip works, even though comparisons to various products will be made from time to time as it is sometimes unaviodable.

not to be offtopic but i got over 2 years of subscriptions to both super street and import tuner, i dont remember seeing it, not that i care, just pointing it out, i dont doubt you, i have no reason too, but lets stop comparing it to this and try to compare it to something that is at least Evo specific whether this generation or not
Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Will z-chip ever have the ability to adjust the stock bcs?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:23 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
Will z-chip ever have the ability to adjust the stock bcs?
We have spoken about it, however no concrete plans yet to have this feature added. Even with the ability to program it at the ECU we have decided against it for a number of reasons and gone back to Forge UNOS.

If for whatever reason an overboost code surfaces, no matter the tuning interface, it WILL reduce the boost level with ECU controlled boost.

We do not want the car to have the ability to take over boost control on its own. Especially when using high boost at the dragstrip and shooting for record breaking performance.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have spoken about it, however no concrete plans yet to have this feature added. Even with the ability to program it at the ECU we have decided against it for a number of reasons and gone back to Forge UNOS.

If for whatever reason an overboost code surfaces, no matter the tuning interface, it WILL reduce the boost level with ECU controlled boost.

We do not want the car to have the ability to take over boost control on its own. Especially when using high boost at the dragstrip and shooting for record breaking performance.
Not to take this offtopic, but on a side note...So you guys recommend using aftermarket boost control? I only ask because I have a greddy profec spec II from my turbo rsx, and was planning on using that but some people have said go with stock controlled boost when you get a tune. Most shops i see use MBC's, so i know the greddy would do fine, but I was just curious because I was going to sell the greddy if it's better to use the stock boost control with pill. Thanks for input.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:32 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by murlo26
Not to take this offtopic, but on a side note...So you guys recommend using aftermarket boost control? I only ask because I have a greddy profec spec II from my turbo rsx, and was planning on using that but some people have said go with stock controlled boost when you get a tune. Most shops i see use MBC's, so i know the greddy would do fine, but I was just curious because I was going to sell the greddy if it's better to use the stock boost control with pill. Thanks for input.
All of the fastest Evo X's use aftermarket control. ECU controlled boost sounds cool and all, but when it comes down to raw functionality and repeatability, then aftermarket control is the way to go.

Our 12.02 @ 113.03 wednesday was run on a forge unos manual controller, just as we have sold most of our ZChip owners.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

All of the fastest Evo X's use aftermarket control. ECU controlled boost sounds cool and all, but when it comes down to raw functionality and repeatability, then aftermarket control is the way to go.

Our 12.02 @ 113.03 wednesday was run on a forge unos manual controller, just as we have sold most of our ZChip owners.
K, thanks for reply, I will have to look into using my greddy or possibly a MBC.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:08 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by murlo26
K, thanks for reply, I will have to look into using my greddy or possibly a MBC.
Either will work just fine. The 15g turbo is small so there is not much there to control. LOL
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure I agree with you here. Please explain how ECU controlled boost less functional and repeatable than external control?

Rob
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:31 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Rob@cobbtuning
I'm not sure I agree with you here. Please explain how ECU controlled boost less functional and repeatable than external control?

Rob
If you would like to discuss boost control, then make a new thread.

This thread is about how the ZChip works, which does not control boost, therefore your post is off topic.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

If you would like to discuss boost control, then make a new thread.

This thread is about how the ZChip works, which does not control boost, therefore your post is off topic.
You claimed something in this thread, off topic or not, is superior. I only asked you explain. No big deal if you don't want to explain.

Boost control is part of your package with the Z-Chip even if it cannot control boost, correct? Seems to correlate with this thread.

Thanks,
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

By using a manual boost controller wouldn't it cause cel (overboost code) to come on especially when there is a large climate change (places like Canada)??
From what i have been told, by controling boost via ECU, the ecu knows it is getting more boost so it will not throw a code. Is this true??
Does the ZChip have a way to prevent CEL codes from popping up?

From where i live (Canada) i am getting alot of codes poping up due to the cold weather. The last thing i want is MORE CEL popping up every week.
Can i have some more incite?

Last edited by Red Dragon; Jan 14, 2009 at 08:07 AM.

Quick Reply: How the Zchip works