Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How the Zchip works

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dragon
By using a manual boost controller wouldn't it cause cel (overboost code) to come on especially when there is a large climate change (places like Canada)??
From what i have been told, by controling boost via ECU, the ecu knows it is getting more boost so it will not throw a code. Is this true??

From where i live (Canada) i am getting alot of codes poping up due to the cold weather. The last thing i want is MORE CEL popping up every week.
Can i have some more incite?
get a boost gauge.
Yes with the MBC you will see boost spike and level differences. You need to adjust it when the climate is changes.That is why they call it Manual Boost controller.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:12 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dragon
By using a manual boost controller wouldn't it cause cel (overboost code) to come on especially when there is a large climate change (places like Canada)??
From what i have been told, by controling boost via ECU, the ecu knows it is getting more boost so it will not throw a code. Is this true??
Does the ZChip have a way to prevent CEL codes from popping up?

From where i live (Canada) i am getting alot of codes poping up due to the cold weather. The last thing i want is MORE CEL popping up every week.
Can i have some more incite?
Yes, the overboost code is eliminated with the ZChip when its tuned correctly.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
If you would like to discuss boost control, then make a new thread.

This thread is about how the ZChip works, which does not control boost, therefore your post is off topic.
I have to disagree. Boost control is part of a system of modifications that the Zchip has access to and that you sell. Totally relevant to the original topic as to how the Zchip works. Just a subset of questions that have yet to be asked. You even address and answered severel questions within this thread regarding boost control and no one accused you of being off topic. Let us all be curtious please.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smgevo
I have to disagree. Boost control is part of a system of modifications that the Zchip has access to and that you sell. Totally relevant to the original topic as to how the Zchip works. Just a subset of questions that have yet to be asked. You even address and answered severel questions within this thread regarding boost control and no one accused you of being off topic. Let us all be curtious please.
I don't think anyone but mitsubishi knows precisely how boost is being controlled. It will be interesting to know once the ECU program is better understood.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by madcows
I don't think anyone but mitsubishi knows precisely how boost is being controlled. It will be interesting to know once the ECU program is better understood.
I think a few people outside Mitsubishi might have a slight idea about how it is handled, LOL.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
get a boost gauge.
Yes with the MBC you will see boost spike and level differences. You need to adjust it when the climate is changes.That is why they call it Manual Boost controller.
This is the only reason why I don't want to use a mbc on the evo x. I didn't care on the IX so I used a hallman. Too bad the z-chip does't have some way to use the stock bcs to keep boost the same in changing climates. Otherwise I think its a fine product.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoG8r
This is the only reason why I don't want to use a mbc on the evo x. I didn't care on the IX so I used a hallman. Too bad the z-chip does't have some way to use the stock bcs to keep boost the same in changing climates. Otherwise I think its a fine product.
Yeah i think the Hallmann RX is the best MBC. But for safety the EBC or the ECU controlled boost is a best in those areas, where the climate has big changes.
Like up north as an example.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Actually, we know exactly how the boost control works on the Evo X
hehehe
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:00 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gunzo has a handle on those maps, however ecu controlled boost is off topic in this ZChip "HOW IT WORKS" thread.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
before i am told by the TTP poster that I am off topic that this has to do with the topic at hand and TTP's handling of questions.

I was a potential customer of the zchip, but reading through these threads and observing TTP bicker with other vendors and just straight not answering question or avoiding any discussion by stating it is off topic, has turned me away completely from this product. I didn't get that sense of continued support for your product when something goes wrong or needs updating. Defensiveness in every post doesn't sell products IMO.

Good luck TTP. I went with a more reputable and well supported product and didn't mind shelling out the extra cash either. It's a drop in the bucket when it comes to feeling good about a product and being treated courteously by the representative.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Did one of my posts get deleted?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rob@cobbtuning
I'm not sure I agree with you here. Please explain how ECU controlled boost less functional and repeatable than external control?

Rob
I think that is a great question Rob.

I believe I found you answer as well...

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The ECU doesn't determine anything.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:42 PM
Account Disabled

People that spend the time and learn how all the boost control tables work together completely understand how the Ecu controls boost, both on the 8/9 and now on the 10 which uses the same type of tables and control, just with more resolution.

Since this "is not on topic" please search elsewhere on this site for more information and answers to your question.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
People that spend the time and learn how all the boost control tables work together completely understand how the Ecu controls boost, both on the 8/9 and now on the 10 which uses the same type of tables and control, just with more resolution.

Since this "is not on topic" please search elsewhere on this site for more information and answers to your question.
I know people are working on understanding all the ECU variables, it just seemed to me that at this current time, the evo x ecu has not been totally reverse engineered, so I think it's fair to say that at least a bit of it is still unknown.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

I know people are working on understanding all the ECU variables, it just seemed to me that at this current time, the evo x ecu has not been totally reverse engineered, so I think it's fair to say that at least a bit of it is still unknown.
Please stop posting off topic stuff before the gestapo gets you!

Quick Reply: How the Zchip works