Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How the Zchip works

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
How the Zchip works

Could someone please explain how the Zeitronix Zchip works.

It is not an ECU Flash, nor a traditional piggyback ECU that works in conjuction with the stock ECU. I believe it is a MAP sensor modifier but can't find any information on the web on its actual working premise. I am familiar with the Split Second Turbo Tuner which I had on my BMW335 and appreciated the simplicity of its design and generous power gains. Is the Zchip the same type of technology? What parameter can it modify besides the signal coming for the MAP sensor if this is the case? What can be custom tuned within it?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why dont you think its a piggy back? It intercepts signals/data from the engine and then modifys them based on its own programming to change the behavior of the engine.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

I believe the manufacture's rep has stated that before. Also I so far believe that it only modifies the signal in a fixed fashion like the SSTT. This is why I am asking the question. Maybe it does more than the SSTT and that is great. Just want to understand how it works. I don't believe it is as sophisticated as Terry's JB3 or Vishnu's Proceed V3 for the BMW twin turbo compared with the SSTT. I believe both of those are piggybacks the way I see them and interface on an ongoing interactive way with the stock ECU.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Contact TTP or Zeitronix. I'm sure they would be happy to explain it to you.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

I have not had any luck with that path. Maybe someone with the product can explain it. I can't find anything on their web site. This is all there is:

Zeitronix Z-Chip

Introducing the multiple award winning Zeitronix Z-Chip for the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X. This plug and play device installs in seconds using OEM connectors. The Zeitronix Z-Chip improves the stock factory tune by up to 50 wheel horsepower and up to 107 wheel horsepower for vehicles equipped with a manual boost controller

Z-Chip Specifications:

Proven to add up to 107 wheel horsepower on Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR
Easy plug and play installation using OEM connectors
No cutting of wires required!
Compatible with Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Works with stock or modified vehicles
Made in the USA

The Zeitronix Z-Chip Kit includes:

Z-Chip and wiring harness with OEM connectors
Serial Cable for connecting with PC software.
Software for customized Z-Chip tuning is available on the Zeitronix Z-Chip download page.

Forums:
See what else Zeitronix Z-Chip customers are saying at the Z-Chip forums.

Installation:
See this posting in the Z-Chip forums for a visual walk through of installation. The Z-Chip easily installs in a few minutes and can be removed with no visible traces left behind.

Ready to Purchase?

For individual 'Mapped' Z-Chip Domestic (U.S.) orders:
Contact TTP Engineering at:
Email: sales@ttp-engineering.com
Phone: (407) 475 0010

For International and resale orders:
Contact Zeitronix at:
Email: sales@zeitronix.com
Phone: (310) 833 3450 [M-F 10am - 4pm Pacific Time]
Old Jan 6, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

http://zchip.net/
Old Jan 6, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

I appears that it intercepts the signal from the map sensor, as well as from the crank angle (or cam?) sensor. Probably based on the engine rpm, it goes to a lookup table to determine the offset it should apply to the signal coming from the map sensor.

I'm personally curious as to why the engine uses a MAS and a MAP sensor. I wonder if the map sensor is used to quickly determine the amount of boost the turbo is pushing. If you offset the signal correctly, then you can cause the ecu to think it's under-boosted, so it closes up the waste gate, and maybe even open up the throttle body a bit.

By doing this, though, i'd imagine that if the ECU compares the data between the MAP and MAS, it'll notice a discrepancy, and start spewing faults.

I think it's an interesting product to get extra performance for cheap, but I personally wouldn't put one on my own vehicle - it's just not the right way to do it.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 02:33 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madcows
I'm personally curious as to why the engine uses a MAS and a MAP sensor. I wonder if the map sensor is used to quickly determine the amount of boost the turbo is pushing. If you offset the signal correctly, then you can cause the ecu to think it's under-boosted, so it closes up the waste gate, and maybe even open up the throttle body a bit.
This is incorrect. The boost is unaffected by the ZChip when using the stock BCS.

The ZChip has multiple maps to custom tailor and process the MAP sensor's signal to tune the car into a custom load cell of fueling and ignition timing. There are thresholds the ZChip will ignore processing the signal and pass through the data with zero processing and there are programmed high performance areas of driving which WILL be modified by the zchip and performance will be much improved 60-85whp avg.

By doing this, though, i'd imagine that if the ECU compares the data between the MAP and MAS, it'll notice a discrepancy, and start spewing faults.
This is incorrect and not the reason the car uses a MAP sensor.

Whether the vehicle runs 11.00AFR and 18* of ignition timing advance via ZChip, standalone ECU or reflash 11.00AFR and 18* of ignition advance are what the vehicle would be running. There is not a "right or wrong" way to do it.

This is why the ZChip performance gains meet or exceed any other tuning option available and it does it for $439, which is half the price of most other methods.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
This is why the ZChip performance gains meet or exceed any other tuning option available and it does it for $439, which is half the price of most other methods.
I don't get this, if you can't adjust the mivec then how is this better than or equal to something that can? There are a few things which the zchip doesn't have control over compared to a flash, and as far as benefits to performance I don't think this does anything BETTER than a flash (It does make it easy for install but that doesn't help performance as far as I know).
Old Jan 6, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aiden1983
I don't get this, if you can't adjust the mivec then how is this better than or equal to something that can? There are a few things which the zchip doesn't have control over compared to a flash, and as far as benefits to performance I don't think this does anything BETTER than a flash (It does make it easy for install but that doesn't help performance as far as I know).

The whole idea of the product from what I can tell is that it's a simple plug-n-play device with reasonable power increase for a fair price.

I understand the need for TTP to defend their product when publicly scrutinized, but I will explain my perspective.

I agree with aiden, and that an ecu flash with specifically tuned maps are the "correct" way.

"Whether the vehicle runs 11.00AFR and 18* of ignition timing advance via ZChip, standalone ECU or reflash 11.00AFR and 18* of ignition advance are what the vehicle would be running. There is not a "right or wrong" way to do it."

You're right, 18 degrees of ignition timing is 18 degree of ignition timing. The difference is in why the ECU determines this. A properly flashed ECU will do this on it's own accord without any external device. This is in contrast to the reason the ECU comes up with the parameters when using a plug-in device that is artificially altering a sensor's signal.

While then ends may be similar, the way it's determined is different. This may be part of the reason that an evo modded with the zchip flashes the CEL here and there.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 07:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madcows

You're right, 18 degrees of ignition timing is 18 degree of ignition timing. The difference is in why the ECU determines this. A properly flashed ECU will do this on it's own accord without any external device. This is in contrast to the reason the ECU comes up with the parameters when using a plug-in device that is artificially altering a sensor's signal.
The ECU doesn't determine anything.

The ECU looks up tables whether they are programmed in there directly or whether you have a less expensive device that looks up the same numbers that would be programmed, but at a much less expensive price.

While then ends may be similar, the way it's determined is different. This may be part of the reason that an evo modded with the zchip flashes the CEL here and there.
The ZChip does not throw any more CEL's than a direct reflash of the ECU. We know, as we perform both tuning operations at this time.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the reading I did on the z-chip forumn on the installation instructions and looking at the program I downloaded from the forumn it appears to me it is a high resolution AFC. If you look at the program it has a **** load of points to adjust vs an AFC with 16 points. The installation is interceptor on the MAP sensor and RPM. So it alters the MAP readings like an AFC. I am sure TTP will say I am wrong and spreading false info, but he is yet to answer anybodies question as why it is better than any other tuning method or how it works. Used as an interceptor like the AFC is used you cannot directly control timing you make the ecu think it is running in a lower load so it raises timing indirectly.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The ECU doesn't determine anything.

The ECU looks up tables whether they are programmed in there directly or whether you have a less expensive device that looks up the same numbers that would be programmed, but at a much less expensive price.

The ZChip does not throw any more CEL's than a direct reflash of the ECU. We know, as we perform both tuning operations at this time.

So then what of the discrepancy the ECU should notice between the MAP and the MAS sensor when altering one of the signals, and not the other?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

My intent of this thread is not to compare the merrits of the Zchip vs. other tuning methods, but only to understand how the Zchip works. I think we are closer to understanding how a device like this works to modify the cars performance.

"This is incorrect. The boost is unaffected by the ZChip when using the stock BCS."

This is new for me. I though boost was affected with this product. If not, I stand corrected, but I do remember seeing a dyno chart that appeared to raise boost over stock at the higher rpm levels.

"The ZChip has multiple maps to custom tailor and process the MAP sensor's signal to tune the car into a custom load cell of fueling and ignition timing. There are thresholds the ZChip will ignore processing the signal and pass through the data with zero processing and there are programmed high performance areas of driving which WILL be modified by the zchip and performance will be much improved 60-85whp avg."

So the Zchip only alters the fueling and ignition timing? With your splicing of the one wire, is the purpose of this for rpm measurement, and what is that useful for? It appears in your description that the Zchip actually interacts with the stock ECU and tables. Is this correct? If true, than this unit is more similar to a piggyback than not, which is fine. This would therefore make the Zchip differ somewhat in function from the SSTT. Can anyone comment on the different design characteristics of the Zchip and SSTT to provide more information on how these systems work? I believe the SSTT does alter boost and does not alter tables but I could be wrong. These two products are very interesting tuning tools.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smgevo
My intent of this thread is not to compare the merrits of the Zchip vs. other tuning methods, but only to understand how the Zchip works. I think we are closer to understanding how a device like this works to modify the cars performance.

"This is incorrect. The boost is unaffected by the ZChip when using the stock BCS."

This is new for me. I though boost was affected with this product. If not, I stand corrected, but I do remember seeing a dyno chart that appeared to raise boost over stock at the higher rpm levels.

"The ZChip has multiple maps to custom tailor and process the MAP sensor's signal to tune the car into a custom load cell of fueling and ignition timing. There are thresholds the ZChip will ignore processing the signal and pass through the data with zero processing and there are programmed high performance areas of driving which WILL be modified by the zchip and performance will be much improved 60-85whp avg."

So the Zchip only alters the fueling and ignition timing? With your splicing of the one wire, is the purpose of this for rpm measurement, and what is that useful for? It appears in your description that the Zchip actually interacts with the stock ECU and tables. Is this correct? If true, than this unit is more similar to a piggyback than not, which is fine. This would therefore make the Zchip differ somewhat in function from the SSTT. Can anyone comment on the different design characteristics of the Zchip and SSTT to provide more information on how these systems work? I believe the SSTT does alter boost and does not alter tables but I could be wrong. These two products are very interesting tuning tools.

The Zchip can only indirectly alter fueling and timing. It's forcing the ECU to do it based on the altered MAP signal the zchip is feeding to it. I wouldn't consider it a piggyback.

Quick Reply: How the Zchip works