Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

drop in intake ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb drop in intake ?

im looking to upgrade the intake on my 2008 mr and i just wanted to know which drop in intake would be best the k-n or hks and if theres any more or any different brands please note them to help me with my decision? and are there nice gains with the drop in intake?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 08:51 PM

Perrin makes one too! You'll probably see a small gain as any of them will flow better than the stock one.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

i have an hks and it pretty good. small gains. look into works drop in filters. i think they have the best gains out of all. search for the thread
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
there are a few threads on this exact question. Also Works made a drop in but I just check their web site and can't find it
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

heres the works drop in http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...roducts_id=501

heres the test they did with hks and works https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-vs-works.html

Last edited by trickytrick; Jan 15, 2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks! Quickly looked under performance only. good links.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Check this out, not a drop in filter but all you need is a filter and the MAS adapter...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-results.html
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My suggestion would be to go the tuning route before an intake no matter what tuning solution you go with. It's always good to have the tune or a plan for a tune under wraps before changing hardware.

Thanks,
Old Jan 16, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

what about just a drop in filter. Even the cone conversion. Free up some BOV and turbo noise.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rob@cobbtuning
My suggestion would be to go the tuning route before an intake no matter what tuning solution you go with. It's always good to have the tune or a plan for a tune under wraps before changing hardware.

Thanks,
i think it's the other way around. you want to get the hardware changed first, then tune according to new specs.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
i think it's the other way around. you want to get the hardware changed first, then tune according to new specs.
I think we're kind of saying the same thing for the most part. Where my philosophy differs is in that I believe the tuning solution is the most important part of modifying a modern vehicle. Most modern ECUs, including the Evo X, require a programming change to properly deal with the modification(s). Without a programming change a modification may "work" depending on how far out of spec the parameters are pushed. There for my first step in modification will be to find the right tuning solution.

Generally the biggest gains also come from a tune when dealing with a turbo vehicle. At the same time I can appreciate the expense involved in the tuning avenue for a first mod after buying a $40k vehicle.

Last edited by Rob@cobbtuning; Jan 17, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rob@cobbtuning
I think we're kind of saying the same thing for the most part. Where my philosophy differs is in that I believe the tuning solution is the most important part of modifying a modern vehicle. Most modern ECUs, including the Evo X, require a programming change to properly deal with the modification(s). Without a programming change a modification may "work" depending on how far out of spec the parameters are pushed. There for my first step in modification will be to find the right tuning solution.

Generally the biggest gains also come from a tune when dealing with a turbo vehicle. At the same time I can appreciate the expense involved the tuning avenue for a first mod after buying a $40k vehicle.
hm, true. almost all cars lately needs some sort of ecu reprogram or override to get full potential...but that's how it's always been, only that it's more complicated now.

but i thought you were saying to tune and add bolt ons later, so i was saying it'd be better if you tune with those hardware installed first to get the full potential of the new hardware as well.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Im with endgameXIII on this, I know the x has the safest factory tune on the face of the earth, but I would not want to put a 93 tune on the car, change intake, exhaust, etc and then have to pay for another tune (possibly dyno time) for those minor mods. It would be another thing if I was changing cams or trying to set boost at 28-30psi, I would definitely understand robb's theory with wanting that baseline before modding.

Last edited by boostin20; Jan 17, 2009 at 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling