Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Software gauges: HKS Camp 2 vs Magden M.1b vs ...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Software gauges: HKS Camp 2 vs Magden M.1b vs ...

So, my car is in the shop for LCD head unit installation and I'm ready for some software gauges.
Now I'm considering the following options:
HKS Camp 2
Magden M.1b
Blitz R-VIT DS
So far I think that Magden unit looks the best considering price/funcion/quality ratio.
What I'm looking for is the OBDII data + ability to have A/F, EGT and Boost (possibly other) Isensors.
Camp 2 doesn't allow for an easy A/F coonection. Blitz doesn't give you any info in English, but I can see that an A/F unit only costs about 500 USD in Japan.
There's a good comparison of Camp 2 and Magden here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...php?p=25085451
So, what do you think? Can anyone suggest any other similar device worth looking at?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Nice find on the write up between the camp and the magden. From the looks of the write up i would go with the Magden. I have a MR and now i really want these software gauges. And plus they double as a nice logger. I think it said 19 days worth of data can be stored on a 1gb flash stick! Nice
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a really good write up, thanks for the link. I'd love to see any of those up and running on an X, with AUX in motion and all.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 09:18 PM
Account Disabled

This would be nice. I would like to hook these up to my Pioneer AVIC D3
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

I'm trying to get more Evo X specific information on the Magden forum:
http://magden-auto.com/forum/showthr...?p=142#post142
Chime in if you want to know more. Or post you questions here for me to retranslate as getting approved on their forum takes some time.
One thing I found out is that Evo X appears to have wideband o2 stock and basic M.1b can display its data.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

If only I could get my auxilary input bypass working, i would buy one of these right away.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:49 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Mojito
I'm trying to get more Evo X specific information on the Magden forum:
http://magden-auto.com/forum/showthr...?p=142#post142
Chime in if you want to know more. Or post you questions here for me to retranslate as getting approved on their forum takes some time.
One thing I found out is that Evo X appears to have wideband o2 stock and basic M.1b can display its data.
The evo x does not have a wideband stock, that is inaccurate information.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

magden is OBD II .. not CAN .. evo X is CAN ..
Old Jan 17, 2009, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Let us know what you find out! I was thinking about getting the DashDaq, but now I am thinking of getting a new head unit and the software.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
magden is OBD II .. not CAN .. evo X is CAN ..
Not sure what you mean. OBDII CAN is faster than normal, Magden supports OBDII CAN.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 04:52 PM

Om request from Mojito, I'll try to answer the questions on this thread.

First a clarification on CAN vs. OBD-II.
There are several versions of OBD-II and the most modern one runs on top of CAN. By U.S. law, all 2008 onward vehicles must use CAN as a carrier for OBD-II. The CAN bus operates at either 250Kbit/sec or 500/Kbit/sec, which is plenty for these kinds of applications. Evo X runs OBD-II over CAN.

Evo IX runs an older OBD-II version, ISO-9141, which is dog slow due to a really stupid protocol specitication (not Mitsu's fault). For these cars we just finished up an MUT-III version of the M.1, which is a Mitsubishi specific protocol that operates in parallel with OBD-II protocol on the same connector. Our site hasn't been updated yet, but we are taking orders for them.

I am pretty sure that the Evo X report a wideband lambda, but I can double check. We validated the M.1 on a crusher (pre-production) Evo X and then again on an early car from the regular production line. According to our documentation of these events at least the pre-cat lambda was wide-band. I'll contact Mitsubishi NA HQ (who we work with) to see if anything has changed.

I'll monitor this thread for a couple of days and try to answer any additional questions.

/Magnus F.
CTO - Magden Automotive.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LVSBB6
If only I could get my auxilary input bypass working, i would buy one of these right away.
Does anyone know of a working software work around for AV input while in motion?

I have the dvd in motion fix and it works great, and was super easy to install.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by magnusfeuer
I am pretty sure that the Evo X report a wideband lambda, but I can double check. We validated the M.1 on a crusher (pre-production) Evo X and then again on an early car from the regular production line. According to our documentation of these events at least the pre-cat lambda was wide-band. I'll contact Mitsubishi NA HQ (who we work with) to see if anything has changed.
Thanks, for joining the discussion, Magnus!
I heard from another source that the stock sensor is indeed a wideband, but signal is not digitized below 11 AFR. So you are limited to that on the rich side, unles you are somehow using raw voltage signal and processing in inside the M.1b? So, when you check the info can you also clarify this, coz you may well receive the answer that yes, Evo X has a wideband stock, but nevertheless it's no use for us if it cannot see below 11.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 07:36 AM

The sensor may very well not below 11 AFR (which is lambda 0.748); we did not test the full interval of the sensor.

However, a lambda 0.75 is so rich that your engine would belch black smoke and your oil would be diluted very quickly.

I usually go for lambda 0.93-0.95 at the high load segments of a naturally aspirated map as an insurance against a bad fuel load or low battery voltage (and the lessened fuel pressure it results in). For turbos/superchargers I aim for 0.89 while in boost. I got these values from a long-time WRC Prodrive engineer who also built Rod Millen's Pikes Peak car, and I have yet to blow an engine on the dyno.

So an 11 AFR is, in my book anyway, a totally acceptable lower limit for a sensor. I am, however, interested in why you may want to read lower values than that.

OBD-II reports lambda values directly to the M.1, which can then convert the value to AFR.

/Magnus F.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Evo is a turbo car, so you have to be rich at WOT. I would say that around 11.5 is an ok level for a daily driven car on a pump gas (not a race car where you reassemble the motor after each race). Therefore you need to know if you want to lean out more or not. That's why I would like to see the difference between rich and pig rich. BTW, with stock tune Evo X is 9-ish at WOT!

Last edited by Mojito; Jan 19, 2009 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Software gauges: HKS Camp 2 vs Magden M.1b vs ...