Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Few tuning questions...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2009, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Few tuning questions...

I am expecting to have my new X by next weekend, and the tune is going to be the first thing, and probably the only thing I will do to the car for a while so I had a few questions...

1. Which places do mail in flashes? If so, which are the best? I don't care if I am getting 100 whp with it, but if some places are getting this much, isn't it possible to make a flash for a car that gets say 50-70 whp without needing to log and such? ( I know nothing about tuning by the way lol )

2. Would it be wise to just go with an AP instead of the mail in since it has a few user logs that are safe and it has ease of use ?
Old Feb 1, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I was not going to get a custom tune I would get the AP or zchip. With a mail in flash you have to send them your ECU and then you have down time with your car. However you have more tuning options out right now then ever:
1. Open source ECuflash
2. ECUteck
3. Cobb AP
4. Zchip
Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

ask user name " razorlab"
Old Feb 1, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
I am expecting to have my new X by next weekend, and the tune is going to be the first thing, and probably the only thing I will do to the car for a while so I had a few questions...

1. Which places do mail in flashes? If so, which are the best? I don't care if I am getting 100 whp with it, but if some places are getting this much, isn't it possible to make a flash for a car that gets say 50-70 whp without needing to log and such? ( I know nothing about tuning by the way lol )

2. Would it be wise to just go with an AP instead of the mail in since it has a few user logs that are safe and it has ease of use ?
What would you like from your tuning solution would be a good place to start?

The AccessPort will allow you to install in your own garage in minutes without any downtime. From there you will have several different styles of maps you can switch between anytime you would like. If the vehicle needs to go to the dealer for any kind of service, the AP can be full uninstalled. The device is incredibly flexible giving you a safe and powerful tune out of the box along with the ability to be custom tuned at anytime. Not to mention several other features such at 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

The AP is fully updatable giving you access to new features and map revisions as they come out. Virtual dyno, for instance, will be one of the next features to come out.

Here is a little bit of info about the AP:
http://cobbtuning.com/accessport
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3942

Thanks,
Old Feb 1, 2009, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd highly recommend using the open source software that is out there now, via a reputable tuner.

We offer flashes for your car, you can send the ECU to us and we can put the flash in and send it back or if you want to buy a Tactrix cable the tune can simply be e-mailed and you can install it yourself.

The days of paying for license and AP's are over with for EVO owners. When there is no other option, even I have had to do it. With the options that are out there paying that money is a waste.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Right now, i say the Cobb and the Ecuteck is a most reliable option. By numbers , company and support etc.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nothere
ask user name " razorlab"
Why so he can ignore your PMs? There is enough information here to"figure" it out since those in the know genereally don't give a rat's *** about those who aren't.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

I appreciate all the info you all are giving... to Cobb... what sort of warranty does the AP have? Maybe someone else can answer that... just curious really.

The problem with other systems is like I said, I know very little about them and while yes I could learn, it isn't one of those things I can spend countless hours on researching, which I would because i'm OCD lol.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

methodical, you don't have to learn anything. If you want to just install a tune and that's it you can mail your ECU in to us and we'll overnight it back or you can load the tune in the car yourself. If you have a laptop the new tune can be emailed to you and loading it is as easy as clicking a couple of buttons.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
methodical, you don't have to learn anything. If you want to just install a tune and that's it you can mail your ECU in to us and we'll overnight it back or you can load the tune in the car yourself. If you have a laptop the new tune can be emailed to you and loading it is as easy as clicking a couple of buttons.
Dave do you have an upgrade path similar to Cobb? So when we add an exhaust will you reflash it for free?
Old Feb 1, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Yes lowkey, we have (in conjunction with Al from Dynoflash) been flashing the EVO X's since the beginning. Very large database of tunes to go with. We will also be offering 1 adjustment to the tune if needed, included in the initial price of the e-flash. So if you add a part or you go to the dyno or datalog the car and find that the tune isn't spot on we will make an ajustment for you, once, at no charge.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Thanks for the info David.. let me ask you this though. I like the idea of having an AP and being able to just flash back to stock if I need to take the car to the dealer, so what are the advantages of going with a mail in flash vs the AP and being able to do it myself?

My other question is, what sort of hp increase do you see with your mail-in flashes?

Last edited by Methodical4u; Feb 1, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 03:04 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
Why so he can ignore your PMs? There is enough information here to"figure" it out since those in the know genereally don't give a rat's *** about those who aren't.

If you sent a PM to razorlab and it was ignored, it is most likely because I was forced to use this username a couple months ago. Please resend to this username and I will make sure to reply.

If you did send to this username, my apologies for lack of response and please resend.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
If you sent a PM to razorlab and it was ignored, it is most likely because I was forced to use this username a couple months ago. Please resend to this username and I will make sure to reply.

If you did send to this username, my apologies for lack of response and please resend.
well hey bro, while you're here, how about chiming in with some knowledge?
Old Feb 1, 2009, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
I appreciate all the info you all are giving... to Cobb... what sort of warranty does the AP have? Maybe someone else can answer that... just curious really.

The problem with other systems is like I said, I know very little about them and while yes I could learn, it isn't one of those things I can spend countless hours on researching, which I would because i'm OCD lol.
In writing, the AP has a 1 year warranty on defects and a 14 day money back guarantee through us and some of our vendors. If you don't like it, give us a call and send it back. Basically we keep our business going by offering great support. If there is an issue, we pretty much take care of you.

Brian here has the AT Pro as well

If you have any questions I'm happy to help out.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Few tuning questions...