Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Cobb Access Port review and where to put it !

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobb Access Port review and where to put it !

OK guys,

First the review, good and bad considered this little thing rocks ( but with a catch). The top end of the car is how it should have been Stock right off the lot! 0-60 feel's stronger than my 8 with an TBE and before i re-cammed it (with cobb stage 1 and spare tire and jacks removed on the X). The monitoring is fairly good however i am unsure if "abs. pressure" is truly the boost ( a good question for the guru's on here). I am gonna cruise down the street to Turbochargers.com and get a "Stock vs. Stage 1 Dyno" in a few days ( i'll post it on this thread) . Turbochargers.com is not a dealer and told me flat out they did not like the product and would not tune it but I'm sure they will let me Dyno it( i think this is because they are a dealer of a competitor , of which they recommend )! I really can't wait to get a TBE and load up Stage 2 , Then i am gonna go the route of FMIC, Intercooler piping and intake with a custom retune from Cobb plano or a local shop ( if you know of a good local shop that does Cobb pro or Tuner here in houston let me know PLEASE ) "That is if i Keep it".

The draw back of the Access Port That i REALLY have a problem with is on the software side. They do NOT have a driver for Vista x64 ( dont buy a AP if you have Vista x64 as it a huge pain in the #$&) and they do NOT have a linux driver or even one than can work under wine! At this point i am considering other options. I understand If some people are still 32 bit but god how behind the time are we ( apple has not made a 32 bit OS in years! so dont even start with why not install vista 32 ... well becauase thex64 truly is faster and because i do video and photo editing and NEED the 16 gig's of RAM i have...????)

Where to put it? Well i removed the OBD2 connector from the metal bracket ( so you don't hit the OBD2 dongle with your knee) and zipped it to the chassis through the FAKE Fuse door in the Cockpit. Then i ran a USB cable through the steering column so i can plug it in and remove it as needed( maybe not a great place to leave it but for me it works great and looks like it belongs there...SEE PIX).

For ROB@COBB:

#1 am i gonna get a Vista x64 Driver or should i send this thing back?

#2 how hard would it be to make Wideband o2 upgrade kit that worked with the AP ( I would pay for that!!!!)
Attached Thumbnails Cobb Access Port review and where to put it !-1.jpg   Cobb Access Port review and where to put it !-2.jpg   Cobb Access Port review and where to put it !-3.jpg  
Old Feb 6, 2009, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

That is awesome, where you mounted it, I want one, they just need to get the aem intake map done!!!! Or I could just take it to a tuner and let then custom tune it for me...... Looks good. I just don't think I would leave it there all the time, you won't know how much gas you got???
Old Feb 6, 2009, 02:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Nice review...just gotta see some independant dyno plots!
Old Feb 6, 2009, 03:32 AM

yeah man, don't leave it there! the way i have it set up ( dongle and wires pre run) you can connect it and go it 5-10 seconds! please dont run out of petrol and blame me LOL! the AP was almost made to fit in that spot ( geometrically ) with its concave shape and Pi x 2 surrounding it! Not to mention you dont want it to get stolen!

I will have some DYNO sheets from turbochargers.com soon!
Old Feb 6, 2009, 08:19 AM

I think engine logics is a dealer/tuner but dont know how good they are! And yes they are in Houston.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's what's funny... Cobb is a HUGE FOSS supporter (they use thunderbird and OpenOffice). When I talked to Christian while he was tuning my car, I asked him about a linux driver/software and apparently there is some in house software in use that is linux... but nothing they will release for consumers.

Personally I'm fine using linux or windows. They should definitely release a x64 and a linux software... but they are a small company with limited resources... and honestly linux and x64 are still fringe. I'd bet that a mac release is likely more important than either linux or x64 in terms of what their users want.

Have you tried loading the AP into a virtual machine running x86 windows? I've got virtual box with windows XP (for IE6 testing) and a Virtual PC of XP x86 (for IE6 testing again). Virtual PC is free: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

And here's the free IE6 image from MSFT: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Try loading those up into a VM and loading the drivers into them. It might work for you.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PRORICAN
I think engine logics is a dealer/tuner but dont know how good they are! And yes they are in Houston.
i personally wouldnt go to them...but what do i know.

i cant wait to see ur dyno, i got dynoed at turborchargers also. but that was before i got tuned and all the other stuff i have now.

i made 265whp with hks drop in and uicp.

edit: i see u have a pb evox also, where do you stay? i keep on getting people thinking they spot me, but its not me cause my car only comes out on weekends. i'm in sw houston sugarland.

Last edited by linjy2; Feb 6, 2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cplise
For ROB@COBB:

#1 am i gonna get a Vista x64 Driver or should i send this thing back?

#2 how hard would it be to make Wideband o2 upgrade kit that worked with the AP ( I would pay for that!!!!)
1. We do not currently support 64 bit Vista, but it is in the plans. As someone else mentioned we are a small company with limited resources.

2. The AP does not currently log external wideband sensors, although it is something we are considering adding support for. Lots of requests from customers and tuners alike.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Old Feb 6, 2009, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by linjy2

i cant wait to see ur dyno, i got dynoed at turborchargers also. but that was before i got tuned and all the other stuff i have now.

edit: i see u have a pb evox also, where do you stay? i keep on getting people thinking they spot me, but its not me cause my car only comes out on weekends. i'm in sw houston sugarland.
I'm going there myself to get dyno'ed now that I have the ap w/ stage 2 map.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 06:49 PM

That's a great spot where you mounted it.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 07:37 AM

Can't wait to see the dynos
Old Feb 7, 2009, 03:42 PM

If anyone wants to set up a dyno day @ turbochargers.com here in houston let me know. It would be cool to see stock vs. stage 1 vs. stage 2 all on the same dyno! I think i am going to start a " houston evo owners thread" soon.

Here's what's funny... Cobb is a HUGE FOSS supporter (they use thunderbird and OpenOffice). When I talked to Christian while he was tuning my car, I asked him about a linux driver/software and apparently there is some in house software in use that is linux... but nothing they will release for consumers.

Personally I'm fine using linux or windows. They should definitely release a x64 and a linux software... but they are a small company with limited resources... and honestly linux and x64 are still fringe. I'd bet that a mac release is likely more important than either linux or x64 in terms of what their users want.

Have you tried loading the AP into a virtual machine running x86 windows? I've got virtual box with windows XP (for IE6 testing) and a Virtual PC of XP x86 (for IE6 testing again). Virtual PC is free: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

And here's the free IE6 image from MSFT: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Try loading those up into a VM and loading the drivers into them. It might work for you.
Good idea! Virtual pc does not have usb support so that one did not work( that i could find). However, that idea led me to Sun xVM VirtualBox which is open source and free. and i was also able to use the very same serial i have for x64 vista! I still would love to have the Linux driver as "Wine" runs cobbs software just fine , i just cant mount or use the phyical access port. anyway thanks for the help!

I stay real close to 290 and Bingle.

Now i think ill start a new thread for this but i am getting "Knock retard" on my logs. example: ( legend goes SEC. RPM, ECT, TPS, ign advance, LTFT, KNOCK RETARD ( 7th column ) , WGDC fine, maf, abs. Pressure , load boost / fuel, load timing. SEE ATTACHED SNIP

If anyone wants to take a crack at this let me know. Am i knocking? and is Abs. preesure really " boost" ? as i have seen it get up to 36!!!! I am running the stage 1 93 oct map ( i have no mods on the car)... the gas i put in the car says 93 right ion the pump.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails Cobb Access Port review and where to put it !-log2.jpg  
Old Feb 7, 2009, 05:55 PM

^^^Im down for a turbochargers.com dyno day! LMK.