Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

AFR very very rich after bolt ons

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFR very very rich after bolt ons

All,
I've added 2.5" upper and lower IC pipes, 3" intake, and 3" full exhaust. I've also added a Hallman pro MBC and a AEM wideband, boost gauges. NO Tune Yet! My car runs great, however its very very rich, so bad I smell fuel at WOT. When I have my boost set to 23psi peak, my AFR crusinig is ~12.5, but when the boost kicks in the AFR is <10. My wideband needle is buried.

I know I need a tune but I've never tuned a car before. If anyone has any recommendations about the following please help:
1. Tuning?
2. BOV?
3. Fuel Pump?

Last edited by blu bi u; Mar 22, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

GST motorsports for a tune! BOV is fine and fuel pump would be good for Peace of mind.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

You make sure you don't have any leaks? Most intakes lean out the mixture so I'm susprised you are still so rich.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 04:38 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

The stock maps are made to go very rich when you increase the boost. This is to protect the engine by adding more fuel to lower combustion chamber temps. Seeing the AFR needle buried with the car boosting at 23psi is perfectly normal.

I see that you have an aftermarket intake, this will actually lean out your AFRs a little so if you had the stock intake, it'd probably be worse.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

edit.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Guru
You make sure you don't have any leaks? Most intakes lean out the mixture so I'm susprised you are still so rich.
I dont have any air or fuel leaks. I would expect the car to run leaner with an aftermarket intake. If I reduce the boost to 20psi peak then the wideband reads about 12 at WOT.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by SiC
The stock maps are made to go very rich when you increase the boost. This is to protect the engine by adding more fuel to lower combustion chamber temps. Seeing the AFR needle buried with the car boosting at 23psi is perfectly normal.

I see that you have an aftermarket intake, this will actually lean out your AFRs a little so if you had the stock intake, it'd probably be worse.
I guess the stock maps are worse then I thought. If I reduce the boost to 20psi peak then the wideband reads about 12 at WOT.

Can you see where my MAF sensor is. Do you think this is a "good" place for it?

Also, do you think bypassing the electronic boost control could have something to do with confusing the computer?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blu bi u
I dont have any air or fuel leaks. I would expect the car to run leaner with an aftermarket intake. If I reduce the boost to 20psi peak then the wideband reads about 12 at WOT.
IMO 12 is too lean at WOT given our compression. I would be shooting towards low 11's at WOT. You shouldn't need a fuel pump upgrade yet with those mods. There is a really good thread on EvoXForums for EcuFlash if you want to self tune along with some basic starter maps.

With regards to the BOV...the stock one is perfectly fine, if you go aftermarket and vent to atmosphere you'll need to tune accordingly for it.

It shouldn't really lean the car out that much on the intake unless your intake uses a bigger MAF housing althought it will still lean it out somewhat by having an open element filter.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Is that "Harman Motive's" Intake & UICP? I like that intake and have been thinking about getting it. . .please advise.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

boost leak test + tune = win
Old Mar 24, 2009, 01:58 PM

Get a tune before going any further; as well as doing a boost leak test.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Yes and no. 20 PSI is not all that much boost on this car and depending on timing you may be fine at 12:1 at only 20 PSI as long as you are adding more fuel as boost rises above that point. I agree that about 11.5:1 is usually optimal at peak boost but most guys run above that at least in the midrange. Up top everyone is running lower boost with the stock turbo sice it fades off.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:02 PM

how do you do a boost leak test?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DueceEVO
how do you do a boost leak test?
You pressurize the intake track and watch the boost gauge. There's a thread on building a DIY boost tester. My first boost leak tester used a bike pump.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 02:56 PM

Is it possible to hit the boost/fuel cut with a turboback exhaust w/ a test pipe vice a high flow cat? That's my only worry about getting a test pipe.

Quick Reply: AFR very very rich after bolt ons