Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

methanol injection

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009 | 05:38 PM

methanol injection

i want to put an aem methanol injection kit into my evo x and am just wondering about the hp gains from the kit is it a good mod for starting out
Old Apr 1, 2009 | 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

the kit alone doesn;t give u any hp. u need the kit if ur running higher boost, methanol helps avoid knock. its similiar to poring race gas or that octane booster into ur tank but this is cheaper. someone might top what i said...pitch in!

Last edited by detroit pistins; Apr 1, 2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2009 | 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Spend the next week reading everything in this forum: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/wa...ction-nos-173/

After you've done that, you won't need to ask your question.
Old Apr 1, 2009 | 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

read this as well, it talks on how methanol is corrosive to aluminium. do ur research before jumping on anything. do ur bolts on first then play around with ur boost and meth. this is just my advise.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/wa...res-101-a.html
Old Apr 2, 2009 | 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

The kit alone won't give you any power, but it allows you to increase the boost, timing, etc, which will provide noticable gains.

You can expect anywhere between 30whp-50whp depending on your mods.
Old Apr 2, 2009 | 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrMTB
Spend the next week reading everything in this forum: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/wa...ction-nos-173/

After you've done that, you won't need to ask your question.
+1,

There is a lot more too it than just adding meth. First of all I'm not sure the AEM kit is rated for 100% methanol, could be but I'm not sure. This will determine what mix you can spray, which will determine what size nozzle you should use, which will be based on what you are trying to accomplish, which will determine how critical a failsafe is in your scenario...

Getting the picture yet

But generally speaking, 100% meth at 30% meth to fuel will allow increased boost and timing and gain from 30-60whp depending on the dyno and tuner. And if you are tuned for 100% meth at 30% meth to fuel and something goes wrong in your meth injection you will be shopping for a new motor.

Not hating on the meth, just trying to help you understand what you are getting into.
Old Apr 2, 2009 | 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

The other thing you need to get a handle on is what are your goals with this change? You mention HP increase in your message- is this your goal? If it is, then I would suggest that you look somewhere else. While meth injection will allow you to be tuned for more advance and boost, the amount of $ you spend on it, and the hassles (there, I said it) of living with water/meth injection do not play out well when you look elsewhere.
Old Apr 2, 2009 | 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

u want high hp and not have to worry about bossting high? get urself a bigger turbo and run low boost. i think that will fix ya!
Old Apr 2, 2009 | 03:19 PM
Account Disabled

Evo X's are not suited to high boost so you are better off with an upgraded turbo which flows more air at the same psi.
Old Apr 3, 2009 | 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by detroit pistins
u want high hp and not have to worry about bossting high? get urself a bigger turbo and run low boost. i think that will fix ya!
True, this is the dilemma I am running into, bigger turbo or Meth injection. The great thing about Meth is that you retain the stock spool, which is great for low end torque. However at what cost, you run higher risk. I think my next upgrade is a great solution with very little risk (except to my clutch).

E-85 ftw. Just going to get some bigger injectors, probably a fuel pump and maybe a fuel rail and bam no hassles of Meth and stock spool with lots of ignition up top

However for those of you not running their Evo's in Minnesota which is leading the country in E-85 stations, woot, Meth is a great alternative if you take the time to set it up right and tune it right. However as some have mentioned you could just as easily upgrade the turbo to an FP red. Decisions decisions.

Good luck if you go Meth, I personally would consider this if they released an Evo X specific Kit to eliminate some of the pain in the *** from this install. Or you could get the new Aquamist HSF-6 (i know it's six not sure on the other part) which is a lot easier on the install. Just get all the failsafe's you can and you should be good. (sidenote: i would wait on tephra Mod though for EcuFlash, this will make your Meth much better and easier with Map switching and what not, just my two cents).