Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

ECUFlash Price Ballpark

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 09:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
outside the block or outside the box?

I keed I keed.
heh heh....take into consideration this is coming from the tail pipe sniffer. It may be a little richer
Old Apr 9, 2009, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Scratchy
How come this is 200-300 more than other places? Do they do some special tuning others don't do? Just wondering. I'm looking for a tune around the Midwest Area myself.
Probably because they have the demand. They're booked weeks ahead so they obviously have enough people willing to pay that price. A couple new shops have popped up in the Midwest recently so it will be interesting to see if the new competition affects their prices.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by modetm
Probably because they have the demand. They're booked weeks ahead so they obviously have enough people willing to pay that price. A couple new shops have popped up in the Midwest recently so it will be interesting to see if the new competition affects their prices.
You have to remember many shops are using ecutek. With ecutek comes a license fee. There is your 150-250$ extra charge.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also got a quote on the phone yesterday from Buschur for $375 when I was making my exhaust appointment. That's $200 less than my previous quote over PM, so I don't know which is correct. I'm going to ask for further info when they call back with my appointment confirmation.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
outside the block or outside the box?

I keed I keed.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by murlo26
I am not sure why you would lean it out that much. When my car was on the dyno from what DB told me, it made absolutely no more power by leaning it out to 11.5 from 11:1, so I think he left it at 11:1. He said he could've kept it at 11.5:1 and it seems more people are running the X leaner but there was no benefit. So better safe than sorry.
I am not referring to DB If you check the recent threads in the dyno section you will find charts/text of leaning the X to 12:1, adding boost and advancing timing.

When I tune, I also set the AFR to 11.5 at the begining and taper down to 11:1.

Last edited by nj1266; Apr 9, 2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gizmotoy
I also got a quote on the phone yesterday from Buschur for $375 when I was making my exhaust appointment. That's $200 less than my previous quote over PM, so I don't know which is correct. I'm going to ask for further info when they call back with my appointment confirmation.
The reason some shops' quotes are more expensive than others:

1. They may be using ECUtek which requires a license fee plus the cost od the tune.

2. They may have higher overhead costs than others. The shop has to pay for employees, rent, utilities, insurance, etc...

Personally, I believe no tune, even if god performed it, is worth more than $300.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nj1266
The reason some shops' quotes are more expensive than others:

1. They may be using ECUtek which requires a license fee plus the cost od the tune.

2. They may have higher overhead costs than others. The shop has to pay for employees, rent, utilities, insurance, etc...

Personally, I believe no tune, even if god performed it, is worth more than $300.
Bushur's an ECUFlash house (David's ECU is even being used for the logger effort), so 1) is out. 2) could be the reason, but I have no idea. I'll wait for further confirmation before speculating.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:22 AM

Our pumpgas here in MN isn't the greatest. We have some trouble getting away with running a lot of cars leaner or with decent timing. I have retuned a lot 8s and 9s that have come from Ohio or the Eastcoast with Ecuflash and AEM's that just knock severly on our normal pump gas. "E85" stations are extremely common here though, so it's the fuel of choice for most of the Evo 8 and Evo 9 guys. We have E70 most of year here though and don't have trouble running 28-36psi on that at whatever A/F.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:40 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DG Motors
Who is to say I am playing with fire as I take that statement as a direct jab to me. who is to say 11:5:1 makes more power. There is different tuning strategies. I never gave timing values for my tunes. I can say I am running 15-35 degrees upstairs and running 13:5:1 on 93 octane.

My average bolt on evo x will love to be in the 12.0 air fuel. 11.5 makes less power with my tuning strategies and tends to make my power under the curve suffer.I feel 110% safe with our fueling/timing/Mivec tuning. Hell I am not cocky but do own def. one of the lowest reading dynos in the usa and am averaging 75-100whp per minimal bolt on tune.
So you are running the vehicle at 13.5 AFR or is that your average AFR? Your not making much sense.

Not everything is about power either. Running the car "lean" because the dyno shows you numerical power, does not mean it is what the vehicle is designed to run on. There are WAY too many variables to say "I run this AFR with this timing and it works".

Maybe I just misread what you posted. If I did then I apologize but something doesn't seem right.