Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

AF Ratios

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AF Ratios

I put my wideband in this weekend and have been watching my AF. I have hit a max of 10.6 under WOT which is fine (no tune). But I am more curious about my ratios that are not under WOT. I range from 14.6 to 15.6 when cruising, usually it bounces back in forth between the two. I know 14.7 is closed loop, but is 15.6 too high when not under boost? Also what AF should I be looking for when under partial throttle and boost? Like say 50% throttle?

I also noticed when the car stutters (has done this since the car was stock) at low rpms, the AF meter goes off the chart on the lean side. I have the latest oem flash, I am looking to get tuned after I get my cat back.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Your fine.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 03:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Those are perfectly normal a/f ratios for an untuned evo x. Get that cat back and a tune!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Cool thanks for the replies. What kind of AF should you see under partial throttle and boost? Never learned too much on the technical side, trying to learn more. Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

lean burn is where the greatest economy is realized. just so long as the car is not under much load, that's where it may go to in some modes of operation. Newer combustion chamber designs work even better with lean mixtures. I hear direct injection makes lean running even more safely possible.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Grendelrt
Cool thanks for the replies. What kind of AF should you see under partial throttle and boost? Never learned too much on the technical side, trying to learn more. Thanks!
Partial throttle you should be around the same, maybe alittle richer. It shouldn't get any leaner then idle while at part throttle.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

It should be around ~11.5-12 during spool up from what Ive read. That's about what I'm seeing now with my wideband. ~13-15 during cruising is normal. I'm at about 11.5 starting at 2500 then it tapers off to about 11 flat at redline. Sometimes it dips a little lower though like 10.6-10.8 at certain rpms...I need to tweak it a little to fix that but overall its pretty solid now.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grendelrt
I also noticed when the car stutters (has done this since the car was stock) at low rpms, the AF meter goes off the chart on the lean side. I have the latest oem flash, I am looking to get tuned after I get my cat back.
This caught my attention. Do a boost leak test. When my VIII was doing this, I had a leak on the throttle body that was causing the car to sometimes go lean under vacuum.