Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Intercooler Spray?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2009, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler Spray?

Has anyone here run intercooler spray before? As far as I know its just CO2 or something similar to cool the IC more.
Old May 3, 2009, 05:44 PM
-H-

I've never done it myself, but I met a guy that had an evo IX and he was running one. He said he used it at the track after his first couple runs, he said that he had no way to measure whether it was actually making a temperature difference but regardless he said that whether he used it or not it did not improve performance in anyway.

He basically said it was a waste of money and not for him. He wished he never spent the money on it.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
doesn't the USDM GSR's come with ICS?
Old May 3, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tephra
doesn't the USDM GSR's come with ICS?
not that i know of...

just hose the entire IC with water after a couple of runs
Old May 3, 2009, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Only the VIII for 03 and 04 (USDM) had IC spray. We traded spray for ACD in '05.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

In OZ the MR has waterspray for the IC. I thought it was standard on all MRs also read somewhere that the auto settings on the waterspray were to high and would never spray. As for CO2 spray its not worth it but it looks cool. I have it also have the tubing run through the air and fuel lines. They say that it can lower intake charge by 35% and improve IC efficiency by 50%. I beleive that a 10 degress drop in charge temp can add 1 or 2 horsepower
Old May 4, 2009, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by speedie
In OZ the MR has waterspray for the IC. I thought it was standard on all MRs also read somewhere that the auto settings on the waterspray were to high and would never spray. As for CO2 spray its not worth it but it looks cool. I have it also have the tubing run through the air and fuel lines. They say that it can lower intake charge by 35% and improve IC efficiency by 50%. I beleive that a 10 degress drop in charge temp can add 1 or 2 horsepower
Man that wouldn't even make up for the wieght gain fro the system! Oh well I thought I'd at least bring it up.
Old May 6, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
every 10 degree drop is 1 or 2 percent not 1 or 2 horsepower. so a 20 degree drop could easily be 15-20hp at the crank on a 400 crank hp motor.

personally I'd rather upgrade the intercooling system and have the air temps be cooler all the time rather than just when it's spraying nitrous on the intercooler. not to mention it would take a lot of nitrous to cool the intercooler, all that nitrous gets expensive over time for a small gain.

you're probably better off either just spraying a 25 shot into the motor and gaining that power from the nitrous and the slightly cooler air or running some kinda water injection to cool the charge and gain the power that way. either one will probably be far more effective than the intercooler spray kit.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:38 AM

You'd be far better off spending your change on a meth/water injection kit and running it "through" your motor. A lot more bang for your buck as meth is inexpensive.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
not that i know of...

just hose the entire IC with water after a couple of runs
JDM GSR does....
Old May 8, 2009, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tmarcel
You'd be far better off spending your change on a meth/water injection kit and running it "through" your motor. A lot more bang for your buck as meth is inexpensive.
That is a sweeping statement because the intended use of water in this case is a COOLANT and not as detonation suppressant or octane booster ..

Anyway .. the IC waterspray is a misnomer .. the trigger conditions are based off engine coolant temperatures and not charge air temps .. it is used to cool the engine instead of the IC .. IC just happens to be in the way ..
Old May 8, 2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by gunzo
That is a sweeping statement because the intended use of water in this case is a COOLANT and not as detonation suppressant or octane booster ..

Anyway .. the IC waterspray is a misnomer .. the trigger conditions are based off engine coolant temperatures and not charge air temps .. it is used to cool the engine instead of the IC .. IC just happens to be in the way ..
Not "sweeping" at all, I think you didn't get what I was saying The OP asked about the sprayer and that he thought it was CO2. So, my point was that he'd be better off spending his money else were, i.e. a meth injection kit would be money better spent.
Old May 8, 2009, 10:22 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
all non-USDM evolution 9 had the intercooler spray and the ACD/AYC pump was relocated in the driver side rear/trunk. USDM had the ACD up front hence the intercooler spray tank/ spray was removed altogether.
Old May 11, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

The older (non-2008) USDM Wrx-STI's had IC spray as well. I think it helps with heat soak more on a TMIC than a FMIC. I was considering it for my old speed3.