Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Harmon Motive intake installed. Cobb AP maps road tested.

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2009, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harmon Motive intake installed. Cobb AP maps road tested.

Ok so as the title says, I road tested the HM intake with the AMS stage 2 map (mods in sig). I'm just putting this out to see if anyone needs the info or can chime in and relate to my experience.

Verdict: p0171, very rough idle

This happened back to back at cruising speeds 30-40 and 2500-3500 rpms. Not good.

I cleared the codes and tried the AEM map.

Verdict: p0171, rough idle

So I figured the HM intake out "sucked" the AEM and AMS. I thought that the SF intake would be the highest actual intake of air, being it's a filter on a stick, so I gave it a go.

Verdict: No codes, pulls like a champ.

I GUESS the HM intake is just pulling to much air for the AMS and AEM maps. I'm on about 100 miles with the SF stage 2 map and have not had any issues with idling or leaning out.

This is my experience, I'm sure it will vary with mods and other people. I'm at 4500 feet elevation, dry, and hot.

Comments?

My wideband is sitting on the table in front of me so I can't give actual data until my pod gets here.
Old May 30, 2009, 07:12 PM

what about knock retard logging using the sf map on your hm
Old May 30, 2009, 08:46 PM

I plan on data logging tomorrow when I am less drunk.
Old May 30, 2009, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol niiiice, i just got my harmon motive intake yesterday. thast weird. i heard the aem map works out great with the HM but then it looks almost identical to the AMS weird.
Old May 31, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue_CobaltSS
lol niiiice, i just got my harmon motive intake yesterday. thast weird. i heard the aem map works out great with the HM but then it looks almost identical to the AMS weird.
it might work well for the stage 1 and not the stage 2?
Old May 31, 2009, 11:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I run my COBB SF intake map stg.1 with my COBB SF intake and it works perfect. Not one issue with any of the COBB stuff as far as codes.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Helpful thread for a lot of people thinking of using the OTS maps with the HM intake.

I guess the Cobb SF intake is the way to go with their OTS maps. I wonder why they discontinued it.

I assume no idle issue with the Cobb intake?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sgtpruitt,

Thank you for posting up your findings. We would be interested to see some datalogs as well. We cannot stress enough how sensitive these cars are to alterations in the intakes. While the Harman Motive and the AMS intakes may look similar, they could be different enough in minor changes to internal design that cause them to behave very differently.

Travis Geny
COBB Tuning
Old Jun 1, 2009, 02:22 PM

I will post the logs tonight after work. I still have not had any cell or weird idling.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

any updates?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:22 PM

Sorry bro, my calc 3 class started yesterday and it's a summer class making it a beast. They will be up tonight.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 02:06 PM
Former Sponsor

sgtpruitt,
Every intake is designed for specific applications. Some of our customers have used the AEM & AMS maps with very positive results. However, our intake was designed for use with the stock ecu, Cobb's Stage 1 & Stage 2 maps. Of course the best alternative for the most power, drive ability, & safety would be a custom tuned map to your modifications (we recommend using the Cobb Accessport). If you have any questions feel free to give us a call so we can assist you. My personal recommendation would be to stick with the AMS stage 1 map or stick with Cobb's maps that customers have been using yielding great results. I've seen another post with similar issues using the AMS stage 2 map only at idle.
-Jonny
Harman Motive
Old Jun 2, 2009, 05:12 PM

I'm going to post the logs to see what cobb says but I haven't thrown a SES since I flashed the SF intake map. With the AMS map the "too lean" SES would pop up immediately. I need to install this wide band to know for sure but I am not feeling the AMS map and possibly running lean on normal operation.

The intake fits and sounds great and looks to be of very good quality btw. I'm very happy with the purchase.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 01:41 PM

I have a log ready for review. Just a few short bursts here and there. Didn't try to red line or go to jail.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
datLog.doc (34.5 KB, 0 views)
Old Jun 3, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

I tried using just stage 1 (93) with my Harman Motive intake and got the CEL light instantly as I turned the car on. So I threw the AMS flash on and it went away but it defiantly feels like it is leaning out up top when I push it hard (it feels like it just runs out of steam whereas without the intake it wouldn’t). I will try the SF flash and see how it works out..

But I will say this, with the Harman Motive intake and the Cobb stage 1+ AMS (93) tune I am getting UNREAL!!! Gas mileage considering I’ts an Evo, in the city. Just finished a complete tank of gas with this set up and tune and got 390kms (242miles) on 50L (13.2 Gallons) of gas and that was fairly hard driving as well as some traffic to and from work... This may be normal to others but typically I only would get 300kms (186 miles) to the same amount of gas and the same style of driving.

Quick Reply: Harmon Motive intake installed. Cobb AP maps road tested.