Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Pro-tune to kill off any unwanted service lights/error codes?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro-tune to kill off any unwanted service lights/error codes?

Plain and simple question, maybe.... but will a professional tune get rid of any unwanted engine service lights or error codes? I had just gotten back from my deployment and I couldn't wait to start putting all my X's Christmas gifts on her. First thing I had decided to do is an ignition upgrade, which went smoothly. I had purchased the Okada Coil Packs and installation was simple but......after a couple of days of driving the Engine Service light pops on. Well I verified everything and made sure the connections were secured but the status didn't change so I'm driving around with the service light on. Now I had seen the thread with folks holding the info button down and starting the car but this is the beginning of the process of putting these parts on.....is this a cure all or just what people are doing to get rid of the light? I still haven't put on the intake, exhaust, ex. manifold, yet.....I just wanted to know before I start getting a butt load of codes thrown at me will a pro-tune cure all of this? And if there was something really wrong with the car will the service lights respond or won't they because the car is tuned?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MAS2377TECH
Plain and simple question, maybe.... but will a professional tune get rid of any unwanted engine service lights or error codes? I had just gotten back from my deployment and I couldn't wait to start putting all my X's Christmas gifts on her. First thing I had decided to do is an ignition upgrade, which went smoothly. I had purchased the Okada Coil Packs and installation was simple but......after a couple of days of driving the Engine Service light pops on. Well I verified everything and made sure the connections were secured but the status didn't change so I'm driving around with the service light on. Now I had seen the thread with folks holding the info button down and starting the car but this is the beginning of the process of putting these parts on.....is this a cure all or just what people are doing to get rid of the light? I still haven't put on the intake, exhaust, ex. manifold, yet.....I just wanted to know before I start getting a butt load of codes thrown at me will a pro-tune cure all of this? And if there was something really wrong with the car will the service lights respond or won't they because the car is tuned?
I really don't think that ignition upgrade is a worthwhile mod for you, especially as a first mod.

Do you know what codes you've got? You need to find out if not...

And to answer your question, yes, a pro-tune will help prevent codes like P1235, but not necessarily what you have going on.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The first step is to get a code reader on it and find out what code it is throwing. Likely it's a misfire code or something to do with the ignition mods you did. I really haven't seen a ton of Evo X ignition upgrades and unless you are planning on 500 crank HP or more it likely won't really help much. It could even throw codes if not installed correctly or designed properly for our cars.

Once you are about 400-500 HP then going to a 1 step colder spark plug makes sense and sometimes the OEM plugs on the stock 10.0 AFR tune are fouled from running so rich.

M45XL - HKS Super Fire Racing Spark Plugs (9 heat range)

Report back with what code it is throwing and we can go from there.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Originally Posted by Hiboost
The first step is to get a code reader on it and find out what code it is throwing. Likely it's a misfire code or something to do with the ignition mods you did. I really haven't seen a ton of Evo X ignition upgrades and unless you are planning on 500 crank HP or more it likely won't really help much. It could even throw codes if not installed correctly or designed properly for our cars.

Once you are about 400-500 HP then going to a 1 step colder spark plug makes sense and sometimes the OEM plugs on the stock 10.0 AFR tune are fouled from running so rich.

M45XL - HKS Super Fire Racing Spark Plugs (9 heat range)

Report back with what code it is throwing and we can go from there.

code reader? Where do you get this from? So if the engine service light has came on does this mean a code has been set off?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
code reader? Where do you get this from?
Unless you're in CA, your local auto parts store should have one that you can use to see what codes you've set off. Most auto stores sell these as well.

So if the engine service light has came on does this mean a code has been set off?
Yes.

In the meantime I'd remove the ignition "upgrade" until you know what's going on.

And be sure to post up the codes you have when you get them.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

code reader? Where do you get this from? So if the engine service light has came on does this mean a code has been set off?
If you want a really great upgrade, that will help you use all of those new parts to their best, and also have code-reading functions... take a look at the COBB Accessport... www.cobbtuning.com

Probably a better use of your money than the ignition as previously noted... There are tons of people on the forums using them, and loving them... check it out!