Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

need some input on how to smooth out my boost curve

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some input on how to smooth out my boost curve

hi,

i just did some logging and it looks like my boost curve is not as smooth as i would like it to be, would appreciate feedback.

I want to get to say 21 psi and stay flat until 5500-6000rpm and then drop shlightly to say 17psi

i cant work with images on my new laptop so here is a log file and a graph inside it; you can see what is going with boost, load, wgdc, etc.

not sure exactly which boost tables i should be playing with to smooth it out. i increased the passive selonoid gradually to peak at 90%, i increased the boost limit offset to 110, boost target engine load, boost cut, fuel cut delay timer as well,

i appreciate your feedback

Dark Blue is load
Lighter Blue underneath is boost
Attached Thumbnails need some input on how to smooth out my boost curve-graph.jpg  

Last edited by pltek; Jun 12, 2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 06:04 AM
Former Sponsor

A forge wga will greatly help you out...

We could assume 21 psi would possibly stay flat a few rpm longer.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pltek,

I can't help you with the boost, but I wanted to point out the obvious in case you missed it...there is alot of knock at the end of that run. Any ideas as to what's causing that? Did you log wb02 and/or IDC?

Last edited by tsitalon1; Jun 12, 2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

thats knock at the end of run as you bounce off rev limiter, forgot what its caused by, nothing to be concerned with.

DG Motors, i appreciate your suggestion but i want to keep stock actuator and selenoids.

anyone else want to take a look and tell me which tables i can tweak to hold the boost a bit better?

Thanks
Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Pltek,

I can't help you with the boost, but I wanted to point out the obvious in case you missed it...there is alot of knock at the end of that run. Any ideas as to what's causing that? Did you log wb02 and/or IDC?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pltek
hi,

i just did some logging and it looks like my boost curve is not as smooth as i would like it to be, would appreciate feedback.

I want to get to say 21 psi and stay flat until 5500-6000rpm and then drop shlightly to say 17psi

i cant work with images on my new laptop so here is a log file and a graph inside it; you can see what is going with boost, load, wgdc, etc.

not sure exactly which boost tables i should be playing with to smooth it out. i increased the passive selonoid gradually to peak at 90%, i increased the boost limit offset to 110, boost target engine load, boost cut, fuel cut delay timer as well,

i appreciate your feedback

Dark Blue is load
Lighter Blue underneath is boost
pltek, since the reactive WGDC is already maxed out at 100% from the factory, the only thing you have left to play with is really the passive WGDC (all 3 maps should be identical). I would try to raise passive WGDC right before the beginning of the dip. It looks like your passive WGDC raises up to 90% gradually at redline. Instead, you could try raising it up to a higher percentage between 4000-5000 (I'm assuming this is where your dip is) and gradually smoothing it out.

One other thing, I would UNDO the changes you made to boost offset, boost target engine load, fuel cut, and boost cut. The last two are safety mechanisms that you shouldn't be hitting anyway. The combination of the first two would indicate your desired engine load, and are only used if you are overshooting your target load. It does not look like you are overshooting at the moment since your WGDC are still smooth and maxed out. Therefore, it would be safer to lower your boost target load to match the actual load you are hitting.

Note: target load = boost offset + boost target engine load table. This should peak around 240 and drop to around 180 at redline according to your graph. Having boost offset set at 100 makes it easier for you to do the math so you can set 140 as the peak in the boost target engine load table.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
this is kinda the problem with the stock boost control.

if you can spend $100 I would get the plug'n'play 3port bcs - get rid of the 2x 2port bcs's.

that will give you much more precise control over boost...
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

does anyone have a stock rom 82680015?

i need to check out some stock boost control setting in there.

thanks
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tephra
this is kinda the problem with the stock boost control.

if you can spend $100 I would get the plug'n'play 3port bcs - get rid of the 2x 2port bcs's.

that will give you much more precise control over boost...
Which one do you recommend?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rogue
Which one do you recommend?
Message KevinD, evolution dynamics, he has a plug and play solution that cost less than $100 and works great!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you will have to retune (obviously) if you go 3 port...
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea... i am using a boost pill ATM...
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

can you pm me what size, whats your boost curve looks like and how you set up the wgdc tables?

Originally Posted by rogue
Yea... i am using a boost pill ATM...
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
You do not need a boost pill to fix this problem. Please attach the log itself and not the chart. Also, what does your passive WGDC look like? Post an image so we can see it. What are your mods? Is the car tuned? AFR adjusted? Timing adjusted?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

i am thinking about doing the pill upgrade anyways instead of actuator or 3port sel. mod.

i am thinking more that it could be my restrictive exhaust because time and time again, i am getting boost spike, then dip, and then boost builds itself back up. check out the spike in one of the logs, despite the fact that i have the primary sel. turned down to 95% max as opposed to stock 100%.

pulls done about 5 minutes of each other. first one is best one i got so far in tuning, second one you can really see a spike and also some knock in higher rpms

http://www.pltek.net/log1.csv

http://www.pltek.net/log2.csv

here is my desired load, primary/seconday selonoid, afr, timing, all of which have been tweaked (smoothed out mostly and made slightly bolder

Last edited by pltek; Jun 15, 2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
What mods do you have on the car?

Quick Reply: need some input on how to smooth out my boost curve