Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

P1241 Torque Limit Exceeded (COBB AP)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:12 PM
FLK
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nj1266
you are wrong. Once you get tuned, it will start happening more often. 9 out of 10 evo xs get cels when the bloody vta bov is installed.

There is absolutely no performance reason to put a vta bov on a stock turbo evo x. None. I challlange you to find a single reason. It is pure rice to put the pos bov on an evo.
+1
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are wrong. Once you get tuned, it will start happening more often. 9 out of 10 Evo Xs get CELs when the bloody VTA BOV is installed.

There is absolutely no Performance reason to put a VTA BOV on a stock turbo Evo X. NONE. I challlange you to find a single reason. It is pure RICE to put the POS BOV on an Evo.
I have an AccessPort. I run a Stage 2 map. I have a VTA BOV. Regardless of me running the stock tune, or any of the maps on the AP, I have never, ever had any CEL or limp modes from the VTA BOV and the car runs and drives perfectly.

You don't like it? Sorry.

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Jul 31, 2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
I have an AccessPort. I run a Stage 2 map. I have a VTA BOV. Regardless of me running the stock tune, or any of the maps on the AP, I have never, ever had any CEL or limp modes from the VTA BOV and the car runs and drives perfectly.

You don't like it? Sorry.
You are the exception and not the rule. What do you mean "regardless?" Either your running an AP stage 2 map or your not. So are you running the map?

Now, please tell me what the performance value that the VTA is adding to your car? Is daily driveability better with the VTA than with the stocker?

Last edited by nj1266; Aug 1, 2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

You are the exception and not the rule. What do you mean "regardless?" Either your running an AP stage 2 map or your not. So are you running the map?

Now, please tell me what the performance value that the VTA is adding to your car? Is daily driveability better with the VTA than with the stocker?
Sorry for the delayed response, I was on vacation all week...

I find it hard to believe that I have the one and only Evo X that runs and drives perfectly fine with a VTA BOV.

By regardless I mean before I had an AccessPort, the car ran perfectly fine on the stock tune and now that I have the AccessPort, it still runs perfectly fine with any of the maps flashed onto the ECU. I've heard so many stories of BOVs causing problems that just don't make sense, like this particular one. I've also heard people say that even though it works on the stock tune, I'll start seeing problems when the car is tuned. This is not the case.

A BOV causing a torque limit to be hit and throw a limp mode? Really? Since the only difference between VTA and recirculated happens off the throttle, how does a vented BOV cause the engine to hit a torque limit?

Peformance value...there is none. I simply like the sound of it. Again, you don't like it? Sorry, then don't vent yours. Daily driveability is identical to the stock recirculated valve.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21

A BOV causing a torque limit to be hit and throw a limp mode? Really? Since the only difference between VTA and recirculated happens off the throttle, how does a vented BOV cause the engine to hit a torque limit?
Just FYI the torque/airflow maps cover the whole TPS % and RPM range.

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Aug 7, 2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 02:15 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=nj1266;7337711]You are wrong. Once you get tuned, it will start happening more often. 9 out of 10 Evo Xs get CELs when the bloody VTA BOV is installed.
QUOTE]

Thats because you don't know how to tune it away .. not because its the VTA's fault ..
Old Aug 8, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Just FYI the torque/airflow maps cover the whole TPS % and RPM range.
Yes, thank you, I'm aware. I have the same maps, and none of them trigger a 1241 limp mode with my BOV.

It still doesn't make sense to me, how people come to the conclusion that venting boost pressure off the throttle causes the engine to throw a torque limit code. If anything it'll cause a rich condition like other MAF cars, but since there's also a MAP sensor, it doesn't.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

[quote=gunzo;7371687]
You are wrong. Once you get tuned, it will start happening more often. 9 out of 10 Evo Xs get CELs when the bloody VTA BOV is installed.
QUOTE]

Thats because you don't know how to tune it away .. not because its the VTA's fault ..
Your just upset that we caught you in a lie in the other thread and your taking out on me in this thread

It is well known that VTA and MAF do not mix. There are multiple threads about CELs from VTA BOV on the othet forum and this one.

Do you have a VTA BOV? Or is this another case of do what I say and not what I do?
Old Aug 8, 2009, 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE=nj1266;7372293]
Originally Posted by gunzo

Your just upset that we caught you in a lie in the other thread and your taking out on me in this thread

It is well known that VTA and MAF do not mix. There are multiple threads about CELs from VTA BOV on the othet forum and this one.

Do you have a VTA BOV? Or is this another case of do what I say and not what I do?
Here you go again talking sheet
so ill post what i posted over in the other thread you are referring to

Gunzo knows FAR more about these cars and roms than you do and trying to discredit him (which you seem ti like to do to everyone ) is a slap in the face to the community and people YOU ask for help when YOU cannot figure out something....
Gunzo is one of the MAIN contributors to the ECU DEF XML's and Logging defs that YOU use to toon cars dude, good job burning a bridge.

i usually dont say anything about you and your ways but this is bullpucky
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

[quote=HB Speed;7372316]

Here you go again talking sheet
There is no S talking on my part. VTA BOV trigger CEL on the large majority of Evo Xs. Infact it was Gunzo who was saying so on the other forum. Now, all of a sudden he changed his mind. OK.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

There is no S talking on my part. VTA BOV trigger CEL on the large majority of Evo Xs. Infact it was Gunzo who was saying so on the other forum. Now, all of a sudden he changed his mind. OK.
Mind taking a look at the timeline of that post before you spew off ??

As we progress through the ECU portions .. we learn more and more and understand more about the ECU .. so certain things which we can't do previously can be done now ..

And BTW evo X is not the Karman Vortex MAF that is used previously .. please don't confuse the issue .. oh yes I forgot ..you experiment on customers' cars so you can't verify alot of the things here ..

Think I have enough of this ..
No point talking to you anymore .. you seem to have an agenda here ..
Old Aug 8, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
Mind taking a look at the timeline of that post before you spew off ??

As we progress through the ECU portions .. we learn more and more and understand more about the ECU .. so certain things which we can't do previously can be done now ..

And BTW evo X is not the Karman Vortex MAF that is used previously .. please don't confuse the issue .. oh yes I forgot ..you experiment on customers' cars so you can't verify alot of the things here ..

Think I have enough of this ..
No point talking to you anymore .. you seem to have an agenda here ..
Gunzo, please stop this. You are the one that bashed Big T and myself for making the maps the same, yet in your own maps they are the same.

Now you come here telling us that you can run a VTA BOV on a MAF equipped car like the Evo X w/o triggering a CEL ever. It is a well known fact that the VTA on the Evo X triggers CELs on the vast majority of Evo Xs. On a some it does not, yet.

You really think that I do not know that the Evo X uses a hotwire MAF. Come one man, you have to be more serious than that.

The whole point of ECUflash forum is to find solutions to problems. Tephra asked us to test the airflow disable code and I had customers will ing to try it. One of them is my friend whose car is "the mule" that I test everything on.

If the test is successful, then everyone benefits. I see nothing wrong with that. It is a win-win situation.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm... I seem to pull this code in 4th gear if I over boost... always...