Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

dyno tune vs road tune

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
street tune is to tune the car for street conditions...will apply mostly to the daily driven cars...this will let you tune your for any condition in the streets...

dyno tune, on the otherhand, will let you FINE tune most of the WOT pulls...adjust timing and fuel maps then run again...you can tune the car much better and safer...i know most people will say "i can do it in the streets"..well, yes all of us can but in terms of safety during 3rd or 4th gear pulls...i'll choose dyno in those cases...it's kinda hard to do 4th gear pulls all the time on the streets..but if you do have very clear and long straightways why not?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
The only way to really tune a car is to do it in its operating environment. Whether tuning an engine or suspension, you can only get 'ball park' on the engine/chassis dyno or 4-7 post suspension rig.

The great thing about 'simulation' is that you're able to run many iterations in a short period of time in a controlled environment. BUT, it's impossible to completely replicate real-world conditions.

In terms of tuning an engine, there's no way you can accurately simulate the airflow going through the engine bay. Therefore, your dyno tune will not be optimized for actual driving conditions.

I have a perfect example. I was at a ADRL drag race and was talking to a guy with a twin turbo mustang. On the dyno, he tuned it to the mid-10s A/F range to be safe. On the actual drag strip, due to the way air actually goes around the vehicle, his A/F ended up being. mid-11s.

Dynos are great tools for getting close, but you need to be in actual conditions to get a truely optimzed tune. Same thing applies to tuning suspension or aerodynamics.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:29 PM

the dyno is a great tool for getting the car dialed in close....especially an eddy-current unit with simulation(variable load)....but real world testing and tuning is also important...so my vote is for both...I prefer to tune on the dyno for ease of getting the car close...then take it to the track to get it perfect.

-Jack

Last edited by BoostCrzy; Jun 29, 2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mad_VIII
Umm, no.

Reason for tuning on a proper dyno is that you SHOULD be able to see the power output along with boost and afr IN REAL TIME. The benefit of this is that it allows the tuner to abort the run the instant anything goes wrong.... can't say the same for a road tune.

Also, any professional that would take the risk of road tuning a car on public roads is either giving you a second gear tune or breaking the speed limit by massive amounts, risking your car, his or her life, and the life of others on the road.

The dyno is a tool that is used to get the tune very close to where it should be in a safe and controlled environment. After the dyno tune, the car should be checked on the road to verify everything is operating as it should.

With a little bit of experience with a particular make and model, it is very easy to predict exactly what load cells the car will be in on the road as compared to on the dyno.

Wrong. I can see my boost, afr's, load, and everything else all in "real time" on a street tune. You don't need a fancy big dyno to log certain things on a car, just the right set up.

Speed density, wideband tapped into the ecu, DLL, Ecuflash, and Evoscan can do everything that you mentioned above. DLL may not be as accurate but it saves you the extra money to pay for dyno time and gives you a damn good estimate.

Also a street tune isn't done by pulling out onto the closest road near you and going WOT for the hell of it. With me, it's ALWAYS done on a very rarely traveled road with no houses/buildings around and always at a time where even less traffic would be like late at night.

Last edited by Macaroni; Jun 29, 2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

I would say a road tune is best. Reasons have already been said. A dyno is a great tool, thats it though.

No one is gonna do a 3rd or 4th gear pull in traffic or a road thats 30ft long. If your gonna road tune, I'm sure your smart enough to find a long stretch of road that isn't busy.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ thats why i live in texas....we have roads that go miles without traffic...
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:34 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
Why get a dyno tune first?

Tune on the road if you want to drive on the road.

X230821903

You DO NOT drive on a dyno......you drive on the streets, so therefore road tuning is the best. That's what i think......like people say, both have it's advantage, but road tuning.....
Old Jun 30, 2009, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
At some point you have to give in to practicality. For example, at a formula one race, they have cars that are dyno'd, wind tunneled, measured and monitored, track tested for endless hours, and then raced. On race day, they have an entire pit crew that then has to make adjustments on race day, in spite of countless hours of adjustments already made. One has to ask at what point do you call it good enough?

For most people the real question is going to be "what can I afford?" As long as you are getting a quality tune by an experienced pro, particularly after modifications, you are doing "the best thing" for you and your car. The debate of which is better could be endless, littered with personal opinions and bias, and would come down to splitting hairs in the end.

No matter what method you use, dyno or street, your "tune" is only going to be as good as your tuner. Period.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallyCanada
I don't see how anyone can say a road tune is better than a dyno-tune. If your tuner is good, you should get a dyno-tune followed by a road tune to ensure everything is sound. This would be the proper way to ensure a quality map for your car.
you got it backward my friend. Dynotune first and then check everything and fine tune on the road.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Does anyone know where I can get a road tune in socal?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:14 AM

I agree with macaroni
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i think dyno tune is a safe - fast and comfortable tuning . I would say the road tune is a best. But if you want to tweak it out right then is more money then a dyno.
I some how in the states always got only dyno tune yet...
But i might get up there, where i can say i had my car road tuned...
Also its good to mention if i will get my car road tuned , i will still have a base dyno tune.
Just in case before we going out on the field.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jul 3, 2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 01:50 PM

On my car i have a road tune and i think it did better on the road tune then it did on the dyno... Some people keep saying that a dyno tune is safer, well how can u say that because u can logg on evo scane for one, how would u say it is safer for ur motor, either way u look at it u can blow up it on the dyno or u can blow it up on the road problems will happen on or off the dyno... Yes a good tuner will prevent that on a dyno, and a good tune will do the same on the road.. That is all my tuner does is on the road tuning and he has a 600awhp evo... So what makes a better tune on the road or on the dyno.. I would say on the road u will have the actual weight of the vehicle and reall road conditions, and for saftey wise u have a 50/50 chance for stuff to go wrong..
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

I had a close call on the dyno one time when my dump burned up one of the straps holding it down. Nothing happened but it was hella scary seeing it jump like that. I know that's just install error but still that is one less thing you have to worry about on the road.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by will05
On my car i have a road tune and i think it did better on the road tune then it did on the dyno... Some people keep saying that a dyno tune is safer, well how can u say that because u can logg on evo scane for one, how would u say it is safer for ur motor, either way u look at it u can blow up it on the dyno or u can blow it up on the road problems will happen on or off the dyno... Yes a good tuner will prevent that on a dyno, and a good tune will do the same on the road.. That is all my tuner does is on the road tuning and he has a 600awhp evo... So what makes a better tune on the road or on the dyno.. I would say on the road u will have the actual weight of the vehicle and reall road conditions, and for saftey wise u have a 50/50 chance for stuff to go wrong..
who is your tuner?

Quick Reply: dyno tune vs road tune