Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

dyno tune vs road tune

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dyno tune vs road tune

which do you guys prefer and why? what are the advantages of both
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

I'm curious as to peoples opinions on this topic as well.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
street is better cause you drive on the street and real world conditions. Dyno is safer, especially high horse power evo. both have it ups and downs.

Last edited by vboy425; Jun 30, 2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Road tune is going to be more efficient and yield better real world situations. At different speeds you are sucking in more ambient air, where as a dyno tune you only have the fan and artificial load (or no load at all depending on the dyno). Road tuning applies load changes, ambient air for cooling, and you can also tune for different gears (as shown in mrfred's evoscan thread).
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:40 AM

I don't see how anyone can say a road tune is better than a dyno-tune. If your tuner is good, you should get a dyno-tune followed by a road tune to ensure everything is sound. This would be the proper way to ensure a quality map for your car.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallyCanada
I don't see how anyone can say a road tune is better than a dyno-tune. If your tuner is good, you should get a dyno-tune followed by a road tune to ensure everything is sound. This would be the proper way to ensure a quality map for your car.
Why get a dyno tune first?

Tune on the road if you want to drive on the road.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by txevo8
why get a dyno tune first?

+87634785627856
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:56 AM
Former Vendor

I think what we should all remember is that a Dyno is simply a road simulator. So if we ask the question differently; What is better, a Road simulator or an actual Road for tuning then we see how clear the answer is.

If one could actually find an open road or rent out a track.. I feel a road tune would yield more accurate results.

In the end do you really care about making 550 whp if your only running 12's at the track. HP Numbers should only be viewed as gauges of power. Every dyno read slightly differently.

The only true benefit to a dyno is the consistency of the environment. If you are testing a particular product it's best to have other factors controlled to see the real difference between components. On the road the wind, temperature or simply elevation of the road could cause a slight change in power. And it's much safer.. Especially when you are very high on power.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by vboy425
street is better cause you drive on the street and real world condition. Dyno is safer, especially high horse power evo. both have it ups and downs.
kinda what i was thinking.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

=).
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by JediGillTees
I think what we should all remember is that a Dyno is simply a road simulator. So if we ask the question differently; What is better, a Road simulator or an actual Road for tuning then we see how clear the answer is.

If one could actually find an open road or rent out a track.. I feel a road tune would yield more accurate results.

In the end do you really care about making 550 whp if your only running 12's at the track. HP Numbers should only be viewed as gauges of power. Every dyno read slightly differently.

The only true benefit to a dyno is the consistency of the environment. If you are testing a particular product it's best to have other factors controlled to see the real difference between components. On the road the wind, temperature or simply elevation of the road could cause a slight change in power. And it's much safer.. Especially when you are very high on power.
great response
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think dyno tuning is safer in regards to traffic, law enforcement, etc. but like txevo8 said, if it's gonna be driven on the road, then tune on the road. IMO, you want the car as close to its environment that it will most likely be performing while tuning so that way you wont have any differences when you do punch the gas.

Plus road tunes are cheaper! haha
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:29 AM
Account Disabled

Both
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would also say both since the dyno day pulls confirmed where I am at with the new turbo and fueling so that I can continue forward using the EvoScan Datlogging with confidence! So far the tweaks I've made since yesterday alone have made the car even faster, of course the high pressure, dry, moderate temperature day also helps that seat of the pants feel. I can't wait to hit the 1/4 mile and see what it can do now.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
Why get a dyno tune first?

Umm, no.

Reason for tuning on a proper dyno is that you SHOULD be able to see the power output along with boost and afr IN REAL TIME. The benefit of this is that it allows the tuner to abort the run the instant anything goes wrong.... can't say the same for a road tune.

Also, any professional that would take the risk of road tuning a car on public roads is either giving you a second gear tune or breaking the speed limit by massive amounts, risking your car, his or her life, and the life of others on the road.

The dyno is a tool that is used to get the tune very close to where it should be in a safe and controlled environment. After the dyno tune, the car should be checked on the road to verify everything is operating as it should.

With a little bit of experience with a particular make and model, it is very easy to predict exactly what load cells the car will be in on the road as compared to on the dyno.

Quick Reply: dyno tune vs road tune